misskriss

Croc hunter and his baby's debut.. (title changed as not to seem judgemental) ; )

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/video.adp?id=20040102113809990001

Did anyone else see this....???:| This definitely beats out Michael Jackson hanging his baby over the balcony.

BRISBANE, Australia (Jan. 2) - Crocodile hunter Steve Irwin took his month-old son to his first croc feeding on Friday, offering the reptile a chicken with one hand and holding the baby in the other.

With a capacity crowd looking on, Irwin dangled a dead chicken before the 13-foot crocodile named Murray, which snapped up the offering. Irwin's tiny son Bob looked on from his other arm.

Playing with fire?

"He's one-month-old, so it's about time Bob got out there and did his first croc demo," the Australian celebrity told the crowd at his Australian Zoo.

Irwin's wife Terri, who gave birth to her second child on Dec. 1, also attended the show, billed as Bob's "croc feeding debut.":P

honestly i think its pretty cool..he is well aware of the risks (unlike MJ) and his kid will be handling other lethal animals before its six birthday. Our society has become FAR to protective fo its own good...

you realize that wuffos would say the same about letting DZ owners who let their teenager skydive, just imagine all the champions we wouldnt have now...

Thanks for the link, I love Steve and his crazy stories, I was scared that he did something really crazy this time that would get him in trouble. I've been watching him since he first came around, and this really doesn't surprise me. Sure the guy's got a screw loose, but don't we all. The important thing is he knows what he is doing and he is aware of the risks. Hey, what's life worth if you can't live it? ;)
~~~~
Rachel
~~~~~~~~~~~
-Converting the world one whuffo at a time.

and?

he is well aware of the crocs speed and reach.
wuffos would say skydiving is an unnesseary risk period..

some people consider letting your kid ride a bike without a helmet an "unnesseary risk"

parents should be free to decide what risks they let their kids take, and expose them too..not you, not me, not society..

if an accident occurs then you can cry foul. He (and his wife) are the ones who would have to live with the loss

Zen....I understand your position....I'm just stating mine. Not changing my mind on how I feel about it nor am I asking you to change yours.

some people consider letting your kid ride a bike without a helmet an "unnesseary risk"

I make my kids wear helmets when riding their bikes:P BUt I get your point...

thats cool, i'm not trying to be intentional contrary, its just something that every parent should decide for themselves.

Unfortunately I can easily see him being raked of the public cools for being a 'bad parent' for this incident by those who have no real understanding of the actual risk level, and or are simply appalled that he would allow his kid to take risks they would not...

back to the personal responsibility issue from the 'ephedra' thread, (or more specifically 'kids from the 50,60,70's' thread..

American society has become (IMO) far to invasive and overprotective in the daily lives of its citizens and their families...of course the question might be: Is this a result of parents becoming less involved? Or do parents become less involved as society makes it more of its business?

I would not take his children away and am not saying he's a bad parent, but I do think I fall into the category of people gasping in horror when I saw the clip. :o

My mom said I was an irresponsible parent when I went skydiving and I wondered if I was. I t's a personal scale for each of us. It's instinctual for me as a mother to worry about kids... not just mine, but all.

American society has become (IMO) far to invasive and overprotective in the daily lives of its citizens and their families...of course the question might be: Is this a result of parents becoming less involved? Or do parents become less involved as society makes it more of its business?

That's a good one...

Crikey! :D

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I just think he took an unecessary risk with his baby. Like skydiving....shit happens and the baby is only a month old. Not a toddler, but barely out of the womb.

There was not much of a risk Murray is one of the oldef Crocs, that has been in the park for years, Steve has been feeding him the same way for ever, and the crocs behaviour is predictable.
It would have been much more flash than explosion.
BTW, I'll be in the park in 2 weeks I'll let him know of your concerns :D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

COME ON PEOPLE THIS IS STUPID!!!

all very well to say the croc was well known to steve, but the thing about wild animals is that they're WILD and could do something completely out of character at any time....why risk it??

its fair enough that steve is willing to take risks on his own life, but there have been a few occasions when hes been close to being hurt. (is this why its so appropriate that his wife is a doctor...???)

there are so many what ifs......

ultimately if something had happened and the baby hurt it would have been his fault and completely unforgivable...to himself, his wife, the public and what about his son who cant even speak for himself yet???

how can anyone disagree with this???!!!!

That is just plain stupid!!!>:(

and the crocs behaviour is predictable.

Tell that to Siegfried and Roy[:/]
You can never predict an animal's reaction.

MEN: you can't live with 'em, you can't shoot 'em, but you can act psychotic and keep 'em off balance.
HISPA #10

COME ON PEOPLE THIS IS STUPID!!!

all very well to say the croc was well known to steve, but the thing about wild animals is that they're WILD and could do something completely out of character at any time....why risk it??

how can anyone disagree with this???!!!!

EASY:P

Would you think it unsafe to feed your pet dog or cat whilst holding a baby?

These animals (Murray almost certainly) are Steves pets. Just because you find a big arse croc called Murray scary, doesn't meant it is actually scary. That croc has been there for ever Steve knows it extremely well and trusts both the croc and himself.
Try not to judge others by your own limitations;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I was fortunate enough to visit his zoo in 02' and what a beautiful place he has there. Seeing the crocs on tv really doesnt do them justice as they are just so incredibly large and powerful in person. Needless to say I wouldnt get in one of the enclosures for all the money in the world..... guess I just have a problem getting close to something that will eat you and not even think twice about it. ;)

I have some good pics I'd like to post from the zoo but they are way over the size limit..... anybody want to take a shot at resizing them? (I'm too upid to do it myself) :(