skybytch

Parachute Rigger Handbook

Curious if anybody out there knows how to go about getting a hard copy of FAA publication FAA-H-8083-17 - "Parachute Rigger Handbook". I've been told the only source for a hard copy is RI. This seems strange to me since by all appearances this is an official FAA publication.

Shouldn't something put out by the government - ie paid for in part by taxpayer money - be available to any retailer to buy and resell?

It's easy to see that RI put a lot of work into this book. Were they paid by the FAA for this work? Anybody know if there is a way to find out?

My SQ1 and Para-Gear catalogs both list it. When I took the course at Para-Concepts (SDC) in 09 it was available there (I had it on the 'puter, so I didn't buy it).

I was told that RI was paid a "substantial" amount of money for producing it, but I don't have, nor do I know where to find an exact amount.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Put the pdf of it on a memory stick and take it to Staples. It will probably cost you less to get it printed then to buy it and ship it.

Staples can 3 hole punch it and you can put it in binder where pages will lay flat for easy reading
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Did you do that? If so, I'd be curious to know the cost. I asked a different place that does printing and they said that because of the number of pages and the large number of color illustrations, the cost would be over $200. I've been happy with a digital copy rather than a hardcopy since then.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Well obviously I didn't do my homework before I posted this one. :o:D My bad and apologies to RI for any unintended slight.

The book is available free online and it's a fabulous resource for anybody interested in rigging. I'm glad that what I was told was wrong; it belongs on every rigger's bookshelf.

Did you do that? If so, I'd be curious to know the cost. I asked a different place that does printing and they said that because of the number of pages and the large number of color illustrations, the cost would be over $200. I've been happy with a digital copy rather than a hardcopy since then.

You're probably right. I just checked and Staples in Canada wants 49 cents a page for colour copying. $168 for the whole manual at that price.

Check Kinko's, might be cheaper
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I skipped the color and had it printed in black and white, front/back and spiral bound at my local Officemax for it think around $23. This option let's me fold it flat for usage on the sewing machines and when doing different things. The color option is nice but for the use of it I figured black and white was goodmenough and if I need color I'll just fire the computer up and look at the PDF.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Or you can take the USAPR course and get a copy which is included in the course cost. Got my first copy from Sandy at the PIA in Barcelona.
The spiral binder original is on a good solid paper and as it is on a spiral it can be used flat while working without pages turning. I wouldn't print it out myself in order to respect the author.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The original author was paid by the FAA and it is published via the FAA printing office. thisis the same as the latest edition of the FAR's or even the latest round of advisory circulars that is published. The FAA puts the PDF out with the hopes of getting people to print and use it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Don't worry about voiding copyright if you print it off your computer.
The author has already been paid.
The FAA released the manual - to the public - via the internet because they do not want the hassle of shipping tons of paperwork.

This is the same dilemma that I discussed with Dan Poynter - a decade ago. When I offered to help Dan P write "Volume 3" he scratched his head and said that he had not figured out how to publish "Volume 3" on-line, because he believed that paper manuals had gone the way of the dinosaur.

Just because someone stop jumping for life and health reason dose not mean they can't keep rigging.

True. Just thought I recalled her saying she hasn't rigged in a while and doesn't want to get back into it
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I wouldn't print it out myself in order to respect the author.

While I applaud the concerns you have expressed, in this case, they are misplaced.

It is an official FAA document, and as such, the FAA is the author of record.

It is offered by the FAA free for download.

Printing it or not has nothing to do with respect for the author.

Had this document been published through commercial or private channels, I'd agree with you.

But the manner in which this document was published removes those concerns.

The book is available free online and it's a fabulous resource for anybody interested in rigging. I'm glad that what I was told was wrong; it belongs on every rigger's bookshelf.

Not mine!

This manual has several issues and a contract has been inititated for it's immediate replacement.

The "issues" range from personal opinion of pratices to lack of knowledge of the CFRs(FARs) in a few areas.

...but it sure has some pretty pictures in it!

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I thought you were getting out of the sport?

Living with a master rigger/AFF IE makes it kind of hard to completely eliminate skydiving from my life. Sorry. I'll shut up now.

No, not trying to give you any shit, just curious if you were changing your mind.

I'll shut up now.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Not mine!

This manual has several issues and a contract has been inititated for it's immediate replacement.

The "issues" range from personal opinion of pratices to lack of knowledge of the CFRs(FARs) in a few areas.

...but it sure has some pretty pictures in it!

MEL

Can you please site some examples and explain the mistakes ?