gzimmermann

Aerodyne Icon with Skyhook: Service Bulletin

I got a call from my rigger that there is a service bulletin out for my rig, an Aerodyne Icon with Skyhook, manufactured end of 2009.

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/download/SB140111.pdf

It is mandatory and has to be done before the next jump, so basically we are grounded. I bought my rig in the US where I mainly jump but right now it is in Switzerland with me. Not a good situation when you are planning to jump in California in less than 3 weeks...
I contacted Aerodyne and got a very quick feedback with a solution plan. I can send my rig to Paracentro Locarno (2 days for the shipping) and they will fix it. What they besically do: They open the riser cover's top fabric, remove the plastic part in the closing flap, modify the shape a little (make it smaller) and close it again. No big deal and with Aerodyne's help a quick fix to make us all even safer. Thanks Aerodyne and Paracentro Locarno!

Wow you must be THE one case in Switzerland. Do you know of any others? Who gave you the info about the SB ? Was it Aerodyne or your local rigger? When did you get the info and where do you normally jump ? You can reply via PM if you prefer
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

No problem to do in public. I wanted to have an idea about who else is affected by the bulletin. It seems like nobody but me bought the Icon with Skyhook to me :-) so far at least.
I got the info from a cool Swiss rigger who made my first repack in June. I sent him an SMS after my first cutaway in November (Wingsuit, line twists, see my other posts) to say "thank you" for the job. He got the news from Aerodyne and pointed me to the service bulletin. That's the story. I did some search on DZ.com but did not find anyone else mentioning the required modification. Except I remembered having read something in the incident forum about riser flaps not releasing the risers properly in some cases. So hopefully I avoided getting refused on my next jumps from the DZO but have not put anyone else in trouble now... It seems like a minor fix to the rig BUT Aerodyne says it is mandatory and needs to be done.

EDIT: Found this one finally, so it is being discussed already:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4041583;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I jumped in Hollister, Elsinore CA, Clewiston FL, CSC and STF and some in Grenchen and Kappelen CH.

There's one question left that I want to ask in this forum:
I have jumped this rig for almost 200 jumps now. I have never had any issues with the riser covers and I always was aware to place my main risers on top of the reserve riser cover (as indicated). My rig is of course worn a bit now and the riser covers tend to open sometimes by themselves eg while sitting tightly in the plane next to other jumpers. So why am I forced to ship my rig for this modification now to get the riser covers even more loose in the end? Product liability so that I cannot sue Aerodyne? Would they no longer let me jump my rig if I decided not to have the modification done? Who would and with what rights?

The manufacturer's service bulletin is for a mandatory modification to be performed before the next jump. I don't know about Swiss regulations, but in America it is not a legal rig until the SB is satisfied and it is illegal to jump it unless the SB has been satisfied.

Aerodyne is footing the bill. I think you should get it taken care of now. The sky will always be there.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The manufacturer's service bulletin is for a mandatory modification to be performed before the next jump. I don't know about Swiss regulations, but in America it is not a legal rig until the SB is satisfied and it is illegal to jump it unless the SB has been satisfied.

Aerodyne is footing the bill. I think you should get it taken care of now. The sky will always be there.

As I read and understand the SB, it is just that, a "Service Bulletin". Its not listed as an emergency service bulletin either, and its not an Airworthiness Directive.

Though I agree its a good idea to have the work performed, what is illegal about it?
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

One thing to consider requesting from them in light of what you stated, would be to ask that instead of trimming the existing plastic, that they use a new (fresh and stiffer!) piece, and see if that helps with your covers popping open by themselves. No clue if they'd DO that, but it can't hurt to explain it and ask!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

As I read and understand the SB, it is just that, a "Service Bulletin". Its not listed as an emergency service bulletin either, and its not an Airworthiness Directive.

Though I agree its a good idea to have the work performed, what is illegal about it?

Thanks for the feedback. I shipped my rig today to have the modification done by the local Swiss rigger authorized by Aerodyne to do it.
I am still a bit curious and wonder, if the question is answered yet...?
What would have happened if I had appeared at Skydive Elsinore or a Swiss DZ in 3 weeks with my rig just the way it is now and like I have bought it 14 months ago. Would they have rejected me and with what legal basis? Is there a difference between a manufacturer's issued SB and an "emergency service bulletin"? And who would issue a recall of a rig when it is not considered airworthy anymore?

There's one question left that I want to ask in this forum:
I have jumped this rig for almost 200 jumps now. I have never had any issues with the riser covers and I always was aware to place my main risers on top of the reserve riser cover (as indicated). My rig is of course worn a bit now and the riser covers tend to open sometimes by themselves eg while sitting tightly in the plane next to other jumpers. So why am I forced to ship my rig for this modification now to get the riser covers even more loose in the end? Product liability so that I cannot sue Aerodyne? Would they no longer let me jump my rig if I decided not to have the modification done? Who would and with what rights?

The riser covers popping open are caused by a poor reserve pack job. Ask your rigger to pack the fabric lower and not so much into the "ears" of it.
I had the same problem when I first got my Icon. Now that it's packed properly the riser covers lay nice and flat and don't come open at all.

FYI: I sent my rig to Aerodyne on 1/20 and I just got it back today 2/2/11; only 7 working days; talk about a quick turnaround!! Yeah it looks like they reshaped and reduced the size of the plastic part in the closing flap.

THANKS AERODYNE!!!:)

THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

no, not at all. don't worry, they will only work on the flaps, riser covers. in my case i had to re-pack my main because they replaced the lower part of the break lines due to wear and tear after having gotten my agreement before.

I don't think it's possible to have the work done without removing the reserve from the container. Maybe it can be done with a sewing machine with a long arm, so you can turn the rig under the machine.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Thanks for your replies people!

The reason i asked this, is because we got our rigs back from the Parachute Case where we had send them to be modified according to the Service Bulletin. Both rigs were sent with the main removed and when we received them we found out to our great surprise that both had the reserves opened.
I wouldn't really care about this but one of the rigs is less than a month old and mine had the reserve packed in November 2010.

Anyway, i'm not going to start bitching about the reserve packing fees but it annoys me because i also own a retail company and when there is a warranty issue i make sure that the customer is never charged a single dime.

The important thing is that we got our rigs back and we can finally get to use them!

Both rigs were sent with the main removed and when we received them we found out to our great surprise that both had the reserves opened.
I wouldn't really care about this but one of the rigs is less than a month old and mine had the reserve packed in November 2010.

Have you tried emailing Sandy at AD about that? maybe she can hook you up with someone in your area who can offer you a free/discounted re-pack next time your due..
In my emails with her she clearly said that this mod is suppose to be at no cost to the users, and I would say that having to do a re-pack prematurely is something they should consider making up to you. Specially seeing that there were no need to pop the reserve in the first place..

Try emailing her, she's always very helpful (from my experience) and answers fast!

Alex.