bdqpdx2000

Tempo reserve malfunctions?

I noticed in the gear review section a lot of people apparently have problems with Tempo reserves getting stuck in a hard turn the whole way down. I own a Tempo 170 and my only ride with it was uneventful, nice landing, etc... but seeing all those negative comments has me wondering...

Anyone heard of Tempos having these issues? Are they tricky to pack?
Myspace

I have the same reserve as you with two rides. Both were uneventfully except that it seemed to land too quickly. Rate of decent.... Hard to explain but it was difficult to get a good flair. I did PLF's on both because of the speed. I would not buy another. Just my opinion.
Dano

I had a Tempo 150 for a time. Rode it twice. It had a slight turn that was easily corrected by differential toggle position. I certainly did not think it any major problem. I loaded my reserve at 1:1. Maybe a higher loading would have caused a faster turn. Probably. I stood up both landings. I thought it was a fine reserve. It must have been. I'm still here to talk about it. Right?
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I have packed hundreds of Tempo reserves and none of my customers have complained about scary turns.

Ah but you know how to pack 'em so as to avoid those scary turns... B|;)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I’ve got two rides on two different Tempo 150’s. Great openings, great seven-cell ride, and great landings with the brake lines wrapped once around my hands to shorten them a bit. I now have another Tempo 150 in my rig and have total confidence in it.

Reserve ride on a Tempo 120 loaded at 1.75 last summer. Beautiful opening (thanks George!), uneventful flight and a slightly speedy, though not uncomfortable, landing but I may be exceeding the manufacturers max recommended weight just a tad...

Reserve recommended loadings

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Two Tempo reserve rides, stood up one and PLF'd the night malfunction (landed out, in the dark, depth perception was poor). Also landed a Raven reserve. The Tempo's opened and flew great, landed well. Just remember, they are 7-cell, F-111 fabric and fly ALOT dfferently then your Zero-P canopy.

I liked the explanation about dealers of other gear. According to some of the jumpers I know, it's a miracle I am alive jumping a Talon-2, Sabre One and Tempo reserve!!! God help me, I've got a Cypress One as well!!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I have one tempo Reserve Ride, under a 1.3 lbs/ft^2 loaded Tempo 150. It opened wonderfully, landed softly, and it packs up easily.

IMHO, a tempo is Not unlike the New Smart Reserve. The have a common ancestor, and the trim, design, and overall characteristics are about exact. I wouldn't buy one (there are better choices on the Market) but I feel safe with one on my back.
=========Shaun ==========

I have one tempo Reserve Ride, under a 1.3 lbs/ft^2 loaded Tempo 150. It opened wonderfully, landed softly, and it packs up easily.

IMHO, a tempo is Not unlike the New Smart Reserve. The have a common ancestor, and the trim, design, and overall characteristics are about exact. I wouldn't buy one (there are better choices on the Market) but I feel safe with one on my back.

Shaun

Just to clarify, the Tempo was made by PISA and even though Aerodyne and PISA have a common link, the Smart Reserve is not just a Tempo with some redesign.

The Smart was build from the ground up, and there was extensive R&D and research put into the Smart, this was done do address the growing trend for a reliable, soft opening, easy to land reserve.

Having flown both a few times ;), I can say that without a doubt the Smart is one of the best reserve on the market. ;)

I don't think I ever rode my 210, but I did ride my 170 a couple times (1.3-1.4:1). Nice openings, decent flight characteristics, easy landing. I had no complaints and would have stuck with it, but a test jump on a PD-143 convinced me to swap the Tempo 170 out for a PD-160.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

According to some of the jumpers I know, it's a miracle I am alive jumping a Talon-2, Sabre One and Tempo reserve!!! God help me, I've got a Cypress One as well!!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

:D

Does that mean I should be afraid to jump my Talon-94, with an original Sabre 170 main & a Raven IIg reserve with my wingsuit... ??

:D

:|

Anyway... as a rigger, I've packed several Tempo's. They pack up nice. I've never had a reserve ride on one myself, but I've seen them in service and save many a person's life during my time jumping. IMO, being a somewhat older reserve design, I wouldn't load one over 1:1... but then again, I wouldn't load a newer era reserve much over 1:1, that's just me though.

I endorse Karl's comments.

The Tempo was a great reserve canopy for a long time but the Smart is even better. I have had 2 Tempo reserve rides, no problem, and on Sunday had my first Smart reserve ride. The Smart is a much improved canopy that is called progress.

Having said that, I have equal faith in both canopies because both will bring me to the ground safely. The Smart does fly and land better.

KevinO