turtlespeed

Ghandi owns a . . .

. . .Gas statio in St. Lois. Well according to Hillary Clinton he does.

Couldn't find it on the web, but the sound bite was just played on the Hannity Radio show.

Probably cant quote it perfectly, but in a fund raiser she says, . . ." I love this quote, I got this quote from Mahatma Ghandi. He owns a gas station in south St. louis, evidently there is a lot of wisdom coming out of that gas station. . ."

What a racist!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>What a racist!

?? Racists judge people based on their race. She's making a joke based on someone's name, like claiming that the people who run Einstein Bagels must be really smart. That's not anti-Semitic, it's a joke based on Einstein (the Albert one) being a smart guy.

Couldn't find it on the web, but the sound bite was just played on the Hannity Radio show.

Probably cant quote it perfectly, but in a fund raiser she says, . . ." I love this quote, I got this quote from Mahatma Ghandi. He owns a gas station in south St. louis, evidently there is a lot of wisdom coming out of that gas station. . ."

What a racist!

Wait...so I'm confused. Is the gas station named after Ghandi or something? What does Ghandi have to do with a gas station in St. Louis? What she talking about how Indian people own some gas stations in the U.S.? Did she just generalize everybody as being like Ghandi? Heh? I'm really confused..........
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

I'm no fan of Saint Hillary, but I can be magnanimous.

Just like us, public figures stumble and say things that don't come out quite right (the difference being that said public figure is under a magnifying glass, and every misstatement or unintended remark gets hyped out of all proportion). I think she was trying to say that some people are so clueless as to not recognize that name, but it ended up sounding demeaning instead. The only thing she should apologize for was for screwing up the statement and not getting her point across.

The people that make political hay out of this sort of thing are the ones I really despise.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

stereotyping

and Bill,

What would you say if she had said "The Habib" at the gas station?
It's the same - it was an Ethnic Joke - those that tell ethnic jokes are racist - they are making fun of a race of people because of their differences.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>What a racist!

?? Racists judge people based on their race. She's making a joke based on someone's name, like claiming that the people who run Einstein Bagels must be really smart. That's not anti-Semitic, it's a joke based on Einstein (the Albert one) being a smart guy.

Actually, no, she was making a joke based on their race. This wasn't an anecdotal story. She was using an Indian name to make a joke about a gas station owner.

Personally, I still don't see it as racist. I don't like her in the slightest and it was a dumb thing to say, but I wouldn't label her a racist because of it.

What a racist!

The spelling of Gandhi is Gandhi

Uh huh and something about Cleaning up your own back yard . . .

I wanted to buy a Suunto. I did'nt because the faq said don't use it. I did'nt want to spend over 300 bucks to experiment.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=844586;#844586

and

If you thought a 5 month wait was too long you should'nt have ordered it in the first place.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=844465;#844465

and

Not really 40000 might be a big number compared to 23 but the number of drivers in the US is much much bigger number compared to the number of skydivers in the US.

Say a skydiver makes 2 jumps a day on average(I think it might be less), a driver on average makes atleast 2 trips. I am sure the number of trips made in a year in the US is well into the billions.

On a percentage of jumps to fatalities vs auto deaths to auto trips, driving is safer.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=834473;#834473

So correct me when your typing becomes perfect.

mmmmmmmmmmkaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

>What a racist!

Actually, no, she was making a joke based on their race. This wasn't an anecdotal story. She was using an Indian name to make a joke about a gas station owner.

Personally, I still don't see it as racist. I don't like her in the slightest and it was a dumb thing to say, but I wouldn't label her a racist because of it.

so you agree or maybe no. . .

Freudian?

Indians running gas stations is one of the most used racial stereotypes. It is even mention in the CNN article.

Making a joke based on a racial stereotype makes it a racial joke. Making a racial joke makes you a racist.

Most people of any race will make jokes about other races or countries of origin. Most of the people making the jokes don't believe that they are true. (Polish or blonde jokes for example).

However, racial jokes do sting a bit more because someone believes it. If this was a watermelon joke, she would be resigning from office right now.

I don't believe HC thinks that all Indians work in gas stations. However, it was the height of insensitivity for a professional politician.

Uh huh and something about Cleaning up your own back yard . . .

There is a difference between a typing an error and not knowing, I've seen way too many americans spell and say Gandhi as Ghandi.

In case you cared.......

>So, saying Gandhi worked at a gas station is ok?

If there was a guy named Gandhi working at a gas station, yeah, it is. Or do you propose that people not be allowed to use his name in connection with the gas station, because it happens to be the same name of someone famous?

>Like "I have this quote from Martin Luther King. I passed him
> working in a cotton field" is ok.

If you know a guy named Martin Luther King who works in a cotton field, why not? Unless, of course, you're trying to claim that it's really the assassinated civil rights leader.

If there was a guy named Gandhi working at a gas station, yeah, it is. Or do you propose that people not be allowed to use his name in connection with the gas station, because it happens to be the same name of someone famous?

There is no one named Gandhi running a gas station in St. Louis. She wasn't quoting a gas station attendant, she was quoting Mahatma Gandhi.

From the CNN article:

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton apologized for joking that Mahatma Gandhi used to run a gas station in St. Louis, saying it was "a lame attempt at humor."

The New York Democrat made the remark at a fund-raiser Saturday. During an event here for Senate candidate Nancy Farmer, Clinton introduced a quote from Gandhi by saying, "He ran a gas station down in St. Louis."