matthewcline

Adding Snap to Facory Diver

101 views and not one suggestion yet. There must be one guy out there doing everyones helmets.:S

You can use the snaps found in the hobby stores where you seat the snap with a hammer but be prepared for some ugly looking snaps the first time.

The biggest thing to take into consideration is that the male portion is usually attached to a screw. This portion of the snap is screwed into the helmet while the female portion is what you have to put on the strap using the hammer. I recommend you dremel off the pointy end of the screw portion and about 2-3 threads as it will snag on the retention snap on the inside and make it hard to loosen the helmet up.

I also recommend that you fit the screw with a small nut as they tend to work themselves loose over time if you don't. You will have to pull up a small portion of the foam inside the helmet to do this. If you are careful, you might not have to re-glue anything, if you have fred flintstone fingers you may have to pull more of the foam back, in which case a bit of your favorite glue can be used. Just make sure it isn't super glue in case you have to get back inside there for more work later.

Hope that helps ya out.:)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yeah, that is kind of how I was looking at doing it.
A short flat head through the male portion, on the inside a lock washer and nut, small dab of lock tight, maybe.
I have a snap setter, so I won't be using the hammer method.

No replies cause I seemed to have pissed off the industry in another thread.:P

Oops;)

MAtt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I mark the end of the strap with the helmet on the persons head for as tight as they want it. Then inset the snap on the strap about 1" so they still have a tail to pull up on.

Use an awl or small punch through the fabric/velcro and set the female side of the snap with a normal snap setting tool.

I then line that up on the helmet and mark where the center of the male portion of the snap will be installed. Drill a hole. I mount the snap with a snap rivet (I think that's what it's called). It usually flares out just fine on the inside of the helmet and secures the snap nicely.

I can't believe I've never done an article or video on this...maybe soon.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Here's what you did for my Factory Diver a few years ago. I came to you about replacing the velcro strap and this is what you suggested instead. I've been very happy with it since. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yup. Make sure to use a small backing washer on the pop rivet (inside the shell) because it will work back through at a bad time.
I sew a a 1" piece of type 4 to the end of the strap to make it easier to pull when your hands are cold or gloves on.

*meant to quote chutingstar*

All good things in this thread from people who know a lot more than me, but I would add that you should use a hot knife around the edges of the hole that you make in the strap for the female end so that the threads do not come loose around it. Lining up the snaps is crucial, so take the time to do it right because you really only get 1 try.

Also, I would put a couple pieces of gaffers tape over the nut on the inside of the helmet, even without threads sticking out past the nut, it still seemed to snag for me. O ya, when testing it for snags, make sure you try tightening it the first couple times when it is off your head, my friend got his helmet stuck on his head like this:ph34r::ph34r:

I had a snap added to my factory diver shortly after I got it. 600 jumps and 8 tunnel hours later and its still holding nicely.