bbarnhouse

Eloy Wrap Up

Warmer weather will be my input, but many people already ask for that.

Warmer weather would be nice, but i think it's pretty damn amazing we had so much fun on the cold days. With the cold weather, I had a great excuse to wear my super cool pink winter hat and to snuggle up with hotties. I know i'll be going to Eloy every year for the holiday boogie no matter what the weather forecast is!!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

And of course, let's not forget what Hooknswoop did on the cross-country jump. I will never forget seeing Derek land with a canopy between his legs and then to see one of my close friends land soon after under their reserve and thinking, man some weird stuff happened on that skydive. I only wish I had my camera rolling when Derek landed as it would have complimented Brad's video of Peter cutting away and of course Derek's and DaGimp's video footage of the event.

Just to clarify because I got a PM about it; I caught the cutaway main on the sun set cross country load at about 10,000 feet and brought it back to the landing area. (Disclaimer: Do not try this at home) Unfortunately the free bag was lost.

Derek

dude landing with it was nothing to seeing him shag it......do not try this at home......no shit...i took three passes at it and he finally said"Get out my way"
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Just to clarify because I got a PM about it; I caught the cutaway main on the sun set cross country load at about 10,000 feet and brought it back to the landing area. (Disclaimer: Do not try this at home) Unfortunately the free bag was lost.

Derek

Now when I hear about Derek landing with a cutaway between his legs and the freebag bridle in his teeth, then I'll REALLY be impressed!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

To the lovely Betsey,
I know that I already wrote to you, my dear, but I wanted to publicly thank you so much for everything that you did for us.

Taken from my PM to you: "The organization for all the specialty jumps and the incredible talent that was so accessible to us all was just awesome! Please thank everyone in Eloy for us DZ.commers. Every single person that worked at the Eloy boogie made it the success that it was. The boogie was truly perfection, and I learned so much. That was one of my biggest motivation for going ~ to have this as a learning experience."

Also, Betsey, please know that you really touched my heart by showing me your flawless Nationals video. Watching your video, and my sunset 4-way with Todd (Airspeed) immediately afterwards (from 15500!) was the highlight of my trip. Of course, along with all the new friendships that I made. I love and miss you all, and I thought that this boogie was an incredible achievement. Hopefully, I can return to Eloy for the Easter boogie or a skills camp.

For next year, I have two tiny requests. One is that perhaps on the cross-country sunset loads, we could be let out a little further from the DZ (even though I was last out, I easily made it back with sooooo much time to spare). Also, perhaps, the organizers can have pictures taken and posted with their names on a board/wall somewhere with what kinds of jumps that they will be helping with. I had a hard time locating some of them (for the cross-country and for my tracking dive) because I had no idea what they looked like. I felt a little stressed out when I couldn't find them, but, as you know, I am a newbie. Of course, eventually, I found them, and they were all excellent to work with/fly with!

Anyway, also as a new skydiver, I have nothing but respect for everyone that put this boogie together. Thank you all for keeping us safe. I could tell that everyone in Eloy was being very cautious with altitude, etc. I thought that it was very, very smart. I felt more secure and less intimidated once I saw how safely this huge boogie was being run. Thanks to you, manifest, pilots, DZO, LO's, Instructors, camera flyers, packers, vendors, food people, drivers, etc., etc., etc. for everything!

Much love and blue skies,
ROSA

Now then for the other part....in this thread please let me know what can we do better?

you can write to congress and tell them to give of military folks a raise so I can jump MORE next year! LOL

It was AN AWESOME event Bets. thanks for your endless, selfless and constant hustling so we could come to the sun and enjoy the comraderie;)
My photos

My Videos

i didnt even use all my jump tickets

I could have cashed them in, but I purposely converted three of my boogie tickets into regular tickets so that I would be motivated to return to Eloy before the year is out (likely for the Easter or Rob Harris boogie).

Skydive Arizona Rocks!!!

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Also, perhaps, the organizers can have pictures taken and posted with their names on a board/wall somewhere with what kinds of jumps that they will be helping with.

I am already on this. Next year you'll see photographs of all of the folks that make Skydive Arizona work located in the east hallway near manifest:)

Also, perhaps, the organizers can have pictures taken and posted with their names on a board/wall somewhere with what kinds of jumps that they will be helping with.

I am already on this. Next year you'll see photographs of all of the folks that make Skydive Arizona work located in the east hallway near manifest:)

Wow ~ You are so amazing!!!!! B| Thank you Betsey!!!

Well this was the first boogie I really spent a CHUNK of time at and wasn't sure what to expect, but I left thinking for the most part it was run very well. I'll admit - I would have liked to see all the planes running in the early days of the Boogie when we were backing up loads but that is just me being selfish - I don't know all the reasons as to why they were not so I won't complain - I jumped more than enough (with a bum shoulder) AND I was lucky enough to snag BB and HH for one of those jumps :P).

As for the weather, personally it made things interesting (and made folks frisky :)) but I'd be cool with any pull you got with Mother Nature B| for next time.

Manifest was awesome for the mass mayhem they had to deal with daily......I utilized a packer - AN AWESOME ARIZONA GUY who was recommended all the way from Florida (much love to Fred)....The Bent Prop was a blessing in disguise despite the occasional long waits for yummy eats and even the Super8 did a good job keeping the room "nica nica".

I think everyone did a really FABULOUS job keeping the masses happy (and keeping toilet paper stocked). But if that saying is true that you can always improve things....Let's see what you can come up with next year - We'll be there for sure!

Hugs, props and vibes to all....

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Next year, t-shirt, rather than mouse pad. 'Cause I don't have enough skydiving t-shirts. OK, I do have enough skydiving t-shirts, but that doesn't mean I can't use more.

Also thanks to Jim for letting me use his packing area.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I had a BLAST. Craig was even gracious to jump with anyone from our group on Sunday so I took full advantage of him. Talent beyond belief and the patience of Job.

Thanks for another wonderful time Bets. Next year you need to plan in time to sit and chat with me some. Do I need an appointment?

Hugs little girl.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Now then for the other part....in this thread please let me know what can we do better? what would you like to see incorporated for next year?

Manifest could use some computers when it gets this busy but I'm spoiled rotten with this at home.

There were some errors and confusion that PC based dispatching would cure. Despite not having them they did a fine job with a few exceptions. Few but noticed.

The Bent Prop has always been the weakest
link for me, a vegy / rice / tofu kind of person.

Also, this year Aerodyne stuck a bunch of wind
blades along the edge of the main landing area
so it was hard to watch the swoopers. And they
made a lot of noise so you couldn't hear people
in freefall.

Also (maybe I should do a poll) they put music
in one of the Otters. Not only are there 20+ different
opinions about what music, but in the turbine
environment they play it so loud that it's painful.

I'm a quiet concentrator on the way up and would
rather have no music at all.

Other than that I think Eloy is an outstanding place
to jump. It always has been, but this year was
even better with the seminars and all the other
stuff you did.

*Thanks* B^2! :-)

The planes are great, the manifest is accurate,
Bryan Burke is watching every load so when
weird stuff happens he's right on top of it ...

The organizers are good, the locals, the transients
from all over ...

It's not the only great scene in the world, but it's
always a good choice ...

Unless it's cold. I frost bit my nose this year and
am now looking into full face helmets :-) :-)

Skr

Well, my brother and i came out to eloy on a limb, we're both newbies, only about 35 ish jumps each...but we both had a blast! we spent new years in tempe and went to the fiesta bowl to watch ohio state trample k state but we made it down for about two good full days of jumping and we took full advantage, i got 8 jumps in and my bro got about 11 or 12. First time jumping outta of a skyvan and i must say, pretty freakin cool! Didn't get a chance to meet many people but i still felt very comfortable. it was our first time at a new DZ so we felt a little outta place but we managed just fine, and the SDA staff was very nice and extremely well organized...this was my first away from home skydiving experience and it was a memorable one! cya next year for sure

Betsey, what can I say?...you are simply the BEST! and beautiful too!;) I have no complaints,however I would agree with Phil about the tshirt vs mousepad. Even on Saturday when the winds were kickin, we all still had such a great time. Eloy is Premier! Webcam like the one at Sloppy Joes in Key West would be sooo sweet for those unable to join us..they'll be virtually there! Til we meet again, my friendB|

well i personally like having something to listen to on the ride to altitude...wish its was played on every ride up.

I also like the windblades on the beer line, they distinctly stated "You should not be close enough to hit these" and you can never have to many indicators on wind direction. They also gave an idea of what the winds were doing rolling off the buildings that the wind soc couldnt do being on the other side of the landing area.

All in all GREAT boogie Bets...see you soon hopefully. ;)
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

I had a wonderful time at the boogie. I really don't have any complaints, there was nothing that ruined the experience for me. But since I know you want to make the boogie as perfect for us as possible, here are my few suggestions:

More places to pack, especially in proximity to the dz.com tent. Somebody had a tarp there that I ended up snagging most of the time, but I never did figure out whose it was.

Some way to weigh down the rigs while packing. I'm not very good at it, so it really does help me to have a way to tie or weigh down my rig so it won't move. Laundry detergent bottles filled with dirt would be fine...y'all do have plenty of dirt to spare out there. ;)

A Light salad dressing choice in the Bent Prop. I did think all the food was good, and I was glad that they had some low cost options for dinner. The lasagna rocked.

I heard a lot of people complaining they didn't want to go into the bar because of the smoke. I know that issue is probably out of your hands though. The bar in Deland is smoke-free, so I think I'm just spoiled.

If there's any way for me to arrange my finances and child care issues for next year, I'll certainly be back. Thanks for all the hard work you put into the boogie, Betsy. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon