bbarnhouse

Eloy Wrap Up

Okay folks it is finally time for me to interject here. The story is finished, the statistics complete. Sangiro will post it all in the pub sometime next week with photos. It was difficult to decide which photos to put up, there were so many good ones to choose from.:)Bryan Burke will be submitting the article on the event before Thursday to make the February issue (if I get my act together);) I love to delegate:P
I have a few thank-you of my own to put out there, but please know that if I have forgotten anyone...I have sometimers disease...sometimes I remember sometimes I don't;)
Deuce~ Morning coffee, biscotti, hugs, support and flying camera on the hybrid jungle gym:)Iwan~ Putting up with my wake-up calls when I was insufficiently caffinated
MonkeyLip~ my go where ever needed guy
SunnyOne~ conversations in the early hours
Gimp~ sharing your desserts
SkymonkeyOne~ teaching a bomb diggety wingsuit seminar
LouDiamond~ All around best friend and helpmate
Sangiro~ For making it all possible

Now then for the other part....in this thread please let me know what can we do better? what would you like to see incorporated for next year? Bring on the pain....that's the only way it can get better...
Thanks to everyone that came out to play. I hope that you will see fit to come out again next year.
Warm regards!
OXOX
BB

How can you improve perfection? :)
Next year i would like to have a packing tarp that doesn't get stolen.
And they should hire an assistant for you so you can actually take some time to jump!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I had a great time at this years boogie. And even though I only made one one-on-one jump with Omar and Greg respectively (Greg and I tried to hook up again as the boogie grew to a close, but the planets just weren't aligned), having access to those two was outstanding and we thank you for this Betsy. I saw that at times you were stressed and/or tired, but it was because of you that many of us had some great skydives. I'd also like to thank Amy, TJ and Jeffro for organizing some kick ass tracking and rodeo dives and my only regret was that I missed out on trying one of those Ampinaty (spelling?) dives. But one of the good freefliers at my home DZ (who was at Eloy) talking about doing some of those when we get home. So one day I will get to try it.

I also had some great one-on-one conversations with Brian Burke (I wish I would have talked to him before my reserve ride), Pablito and many others and learned so much on this trip. I attended the base and birdman seminars, not neccessarily to start base jumping or to start making birdman jumps (I have done a birdman jump in the past), but I attended those seminars to try and understand those disciplines better.

And of course, let's not forget what Hooknswoop did on the cross-country jump. I will never forget seeing Derek land with a canopy between his legs and then to see one of my close friends land soon after under their reserve and thinking, man some weird stuff happened on that skydive. I only wish I had my camera rolling when Derek landed as it would have complimented Brad's video of Peter cutting away and of course Derek's and DaGimp's video footage of the event.

As far as what could be changed? Hmmm ... if SDA could control the weather, that would be awesome. But I know I'm asking a little too much. Finding a place to pack can be a challenge during a large boogie like this and I was lucky that I was able to use my friend Jim's packing area that he personally setup. But I'm not sure if it is SDA's task of creating more temporary packing areas, or is it we as skydivers visiting the boogie who must ensure we have a place to pack. It's likely our responsibility to create our own packing areas I guess.

Anyway, all in all some great skydives occurred at this boogie. I met some great people and you know that I will be back next year and likely before that (either for the Easter boogie or the Rob Harris boogie).

Skydive Arizona Rocks!!!

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Pixie lady, I am convinced that for the first few days, everybody thought it was too good to be true. Me and Iwan kept having trouble gettin on loads with folks cause they couldn't believe video was free.

While I was getting ready to go shoot a zoo load, this cool freeflier guy asks to come along and I kinda discourage him cause the skill level is all over the place. While we're riding to altitude, I figure out it's Greg Gasson. D'OH! B|

Having guys like Gasson, Omar, Finley, and McGowan asking to "come along" on your skydives really does seem too good to be true. Getting coaching and advice from them gratis is insane. The fireside talks and the seminars were really, really inspirational.

Next year, I'd like to do a seminar on tandem and AFF video, stuff that the legends have left far behind, but that I heard there was some interest in.

The New Year's party was great. Bringing my Mrs. was a brilliant idea too, cause next year I'm there from first to last.

:)
The sunsets were beautiful under canopy. I can prove it.

Next year, I'd like to do a seminar on tandem and AFF video, stuff that the legends have left far behind, but that I heard there was some interest in.

Ohhhhh you got it babes and thanks for the idea! I'll make sure that one is included next yearB|
Did ya'll like the vittles from the Bent Prop?

Yes that was a topic which was forgotten and would be good to have next year? But I had a great conversation with Pablito one night near the fire and he told me to go talk to the TMs at my DZ to learn from them about what a TM skydive is like and to build their trust before I even attempt to film a tandem and/or AFF student. Last year Pablito gave me some great info, and he did it again this year. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

But I had a great conversation with Pablito one night near the fire and he told me to go talk to the TMs at my DZ to learn from them about what a TM skydive is like and to build their trust before I even attempt to film a tandem and/or AFF student.

I'll have my tandem rating in a month or two, and I'll be able to address the stuff from both sides of the camera next year. Pablito is absolutely right. The dynamic between the Camera flier and the tandem master is critical.

Oh, and Bets? The food at the Prop was great. Monkey Fries are a food that must be eaten, but not looked at for long. BAM! Good stuff.

And being waited on at the bar by world champion freeflier chicks did not suck at all.;)

I'll have my tandem rating in a month or two

What system? Oh, have fun, I fucking LOVE doing tandems, you've seen it from the other side, but wait till you're actually doing it. For one, no matter how many tandems you've videoed, you have no idea (as Pablito found out) and for another, you think the energy high you get from a student is cool when you shoot the video...just wait till you take a real student up for their first jump!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

And of course, let's not forget what Hooknswoop did on the cross-country jump. I will never forget seeing Derek land with a canopy between his legs and then to see one of my close friends land soon after under their reserve and thinking, man some weird stuff happened on that skydive. I only wish I had my camera rolling when Derek landed as it would have complimented Brad's video of Peter cutting away and of course Derek's and DaGimp's video footage of the event.

Just to clarify because I got a PM about it; I caught the cutaway main on the sun set cross country load at about 10,000 feet and brought it back to the landing area. (Disclaimer: Do not try this at home) Unfortunately the free bag was lost.

Derek

Betsy,
Sorry we didn't get to spend time and had a nice chat, but that chat will come soon.
I want to thank you for all the hard work you did this year to have a great event. The Boogie was awesome, there was million things to do and never to be bored even when we got weather out.
Warmer weather will be my input, but many people already ask for that.
On more time thank you!!!
Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

Betsy, you put together an awesome boogie, that's going to be booked in my calendar for the years to come!

Having guys like Gasson, Omar, Finley, and McGowan asking to "come along" on your skydives really does seem too good to be true. Getting coaching and advice from them gratis is insane. The fireside talks and the seminars were really, really inspirational.

I fully agree with this!

Thanks,
Iwan