avgjoe

Icon with skyhook grounded??

Thank god. I wonder when they will recall the rest of the issues.

Hi Jeff, your profile lists your place of residence as Eloy. I am an Aerodyne US tour rep and I am at Eloy till this Sunday visiting Canadian Invasion. I will be happy to hear any suggestions you may have about our gear, so please come out of the closet and share your vast Aerodyne gear knowledge with me. Hope that knowledge will not be based on what is listed for your personal gear as it is anything but Aerodyne.
See you at the dropzone.

I will be happy to hear any suggestions you may have about our gear, so please come out of the closet and share your vast Aerodyne gear knowledge with me. Hope that knowledge will not be based on what is listed for your personal gear as it is anything but Aerodyne.

Nice. Gotta love it when the factory rep talks down to people...

I will be happy to hear any suggestions you may have about our gear, so please come out of the closet and share your vast Aerodyne gear knowledge with me. Hope that knowledge will not be based on what is listed for your personal gear as it is anything but Aerodyne.

Some sarcasm here is not entirely inappropriate. He has given an experienced jumped, who decided to make his first post on this site a vague reference that aerodyne have other hidden safety flaws, without justification, a chance to directly address his concerns to a factory rep.

Now had he said "You jump a vector, shut the fuck up" I would agree with you.

I happen to be the owner of a skyhook equipped Icon container. I received the service bulletin info via email last night and i am pretty confused as i happen to live in Greece.
I contacted Aerodyne and explained the situation to them. They told me they are looking for a way to sort out the problem for international customers by leading them to certified riggers near their area.
Lets wait and see how things will proceed...

Les,
Nothing personal. I have jumped aerodyne gear before it was aerodyne (and after) and just because I choose not to jump it now is my call. I appreciate the offer on coming to discuss some of the issues with you, but respectfully decline. Again, nothing personal but field reps are generally field reps. Design issues and safety concerns are to be brought up with the appropriate individuals in a company. Recently while in Deland I tried to due this and was very surprised to find out that these design individuals didn't exist (locally). When I asked to speak to the master rigger on staff, there isn't one of those either. I truly believe the shop in Deland is set up for shipping, receiving and fielding phone calls. After some research I found out that icons are built by a subcontractor, canopies are built out of country and the final inspections are extremely limited. From what I understand the canopies are not even inspected after the leave the plant (simply shipped on to the end user, unlike all the other out of country manufactures). Please don't take this in the wrong tone, I am not trying to bash (that much) a company that has been steadily making progress in ever changing sport. Just wish for a faster response time when issues arise and step up to the plate and correct design issues when they are brought to light (the first time). Simply my two cents and best of luck to you and your firm in the future. To everyone one else, the gear you jump is your call and I have made mine. BSBD

Heard a rumor they were grounded? Any truth to it??

Avgjoe

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/download/SB140111.pdf

Just a few weeks ago a fairly new jumper with a brand new Skyhook equipped Icon had the same issue. Several people at the DZ tried to tell her she must have been mistaken when she said the riser got hung up and didn't release from the cover.

Sounds like she got it right.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Les,
Nothing personal. I have jumped aerodyne gear before it was aerodyne (and after) and just because I choose not to jump it now is my call. I appreciate the offer on coming to discuss some of the issues with you, but respectfully decline. Again, nothing personal but field reps are generally field reps. Design issues and safety concerns are to be brought up with the appropriate individuals in a company. Recently while in Deland I tried to due this and was very surprised to find out that these design individuals didn't exist (locally). When I asked to speak to the master rigger on staff, there isn't one of those either. I truly believe the shop in Deland is set up for shipping, receiving and fielding phone calls. After some research I found out that icons are built by a subcontractor, canopies are built out of country and the final inspections are extremely limited. From what I understand the canopies are not even inspected after the leave the plant (simply shipped on to the end user, unlike all the other out of country manufactures). Please don't take this in the wrong tone, I am not trying to bash (that much) a company that has been steadily making progress in ever changing sport. Just wish for a faster response time when issues arise and step up to the plate and correct design issues when they are brought to light (the first time). Simply my two cents and best of luck to you and your firm in the future. To everyone one else, the gear you jump is your call and I have made mine. BSBD

So, please tell us what your considerations are.

I have no affiliation with any particular brand of gear.

If you have things to say about a rig, by all means, say them.

I'd like to know personally so that I can do whatever possible to be a better rigger.

If you don't want to post, send a PM.

Don't just leave us hanging.

Les,

Jeff,
No personal feelings hurt here. I don't take your post as bashing (that much), just wish you would have presented all facts correctly to the public. I am bit confused by your statement that you have been using Aerodyne products before it was Aerdyne and after. I am a bit of a logical person and, unless you have posted it wrong, and you have been in sport for 12 or so years you could not have possibly been using products made over 20 years ago. Aerodyne was funded in 1989.
We at Aerodyne, though small compay, are passionate and proud of what we do. From ground up everyone works hard to provide the best service and product to all our customers. For my part, and I wear more hats than you think so called field rep does, I wish I had more demos so I had a chance to send it right and then to those who ask for them. Reading your post I do have to say that you are quite inaccurate about our manufacturing process and your opinion about our final inspection. If you were a rigger, which you did not indicate you are, who was looking to get more insides on how the Icon is build, so that you can better understand particulars within, I am sure I could have arranged an Q&A time for you in Deland with master rigger who builds our Icons. His workmanship, knowledge and long years of experience in building rigs is matched only by few innovators out there and those know and respect each others work. You forgot to mentioned that Aerodyne head office and Icon manufacturing facility is located in the very same building. Yes all canopies and Icons that require TSO have to undergo final inspection there and then they can be shipped to customers. I am sure PD does something like that with all canopies that are build for them in Honduras.
As for the response time to the SkyHook Icon issue, is less than a week too long??? Service bulletin has been issued and the fix is in place at no cost to end user. I think that is a fair response. After all those who had Toyotas with toyota moments had to wait much longer before recall was issued and the time when they got their cars fixed.
Hope I was able to clarify some questions at hand here, and yes you are right, we all have a choice of what gear we use, what car we drive, what brand of jeans we wear. As for me Aerodyne products have been quite satisfying years before I came on board and I am still having fun flying my Mamba. If there was something that would suit my needs better I would be using it. To all readers out there please learn your gear, use it properly, stay safe and have fun

Yep. PD bashes Aerodyne, Aerodyne bashes somebody else, somebody else bashes somebody else...great for business.

One time I had to tell a drunk PD rep to STFU and go away. Got tired of hearing him bash other canopies.
No, I will not mention his name...in truth, I forgot it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Avgjoe

Just a few weeks ago a fairly new jumper with a brand new Skyhook equipped Icon had the same issue. Several people at the DZ tried to tell her she must have been mistaken when she said the riser got hung up and didn't release from the cover.

So she incorrectly packed the main risers under the reserve risers tab.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Avgjoe

So she incorrectly packed the main risers under the reserve risers tab.

Don't really know. The only thing for sure is that one of her risers hung up (she was forced to land it that way) and the rig is equipped with a Skyhook. I wasn't there when it happened and do not know the details of a post-jump inspection if there was one.

Could be the same problem or a different one, but a problem all the same.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

As someone who is speaking on behalf of the company in a public forum, it might be a good idea to proof read your posts, some of it reads as if your drunk sitting in the DZ bar. Also splitting up your paragraphs would make for a easier read and be more professional as the company voice.

Are you sure it was 1989 when the company was founded, or was it only funded in 1989 and it took till 1998 to buy out PISA?

And could you please let us know who is the respected master rigger in Deland who builds the rig?
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I can not think of a rig that has not had an SB out about it.
Just off the top of my head:
Javelin had the closing loop issue.
Vector had the incorrect skyhooks sent out.

This AD on the icon seems to be handled as best it could. Aerodyne has impressed me with their handling of these types of issues. I remember when they refused to release a canopy (Alpha???) because they were not happy with it and got flack for not sending them out....

And no, I do not have any affiliation with Aerodyne. I just respect the business practices of the company.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334