avgjoe

Pia Convention

Is it worth going to the convention? I looked for a schedule of seminars and couldn't find one. Is it worth full registration or just going to the exhibition hall one day? I am not sure if it is worth the time and the cost. Am I missing something?

Avgjoe
Hook it for safety

It blows that the seminar schedule isn't up yet, but yes...it's well worth it to attend. You'll not find this calibre of speakers and number of manufacturers at any other gathering. There are some good seminars happening on rigging, wingsuiting, digital media, dropzone issues... lotsa good stuff.

They *really* need to have the speaker schedule up so folks can plan their visit and figure out hotels and flights.

There's a list of speakers in one of the comments on the Facebook event (see comments from 11/4/10). Not enough to help anyone plan but at least it's some additional info.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=153225984703181
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes, that's the list that was going to be updated "next day." My company and at least 3 others aren't on that list, and the speakers list isn't complete either.
I'll be speaking on wingsuiting, digital media on the dropzone, and file-based workflows (important for DZ's using tapeless cameras).

If people would stop sending special requests/changes/and additions to the schedule I could get it up.

The symposium runs Monday through Friday. Some people who said on their speaker apps they would be there the whole time have changed their mind. So I'm having to revise the schedule almost constantly. I'd say I'd have one up tomorrow but this is NOT my day job. Hopefully by Thursday.

I didn't even know there WAS a Facebook page and have nothing to do with that.

We will have more speakers than recently. Five rooms, 7 hours a day, for most of the five days. On one day you will be able to see round rigs packed that represent each of the rigger ratings available.

Now it's time to get back to herding cats.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

somewhat similar to the skydive expo? except without the jumping?

Well.....not too much jumping with the 27mph winds.....

Can't wait to see the PIA interview vids though!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Yes, I'll be doing the PIA Interview vids as in the past. I'm not sure what my speaking schedule is, so not sure how/when we'll get the interviews up or filmed.
Kolla/Lara from BSM will likely be doing some interviews from the show floor using our gear too.

Yes, PIA is much like the Skydive Expo (cept' you know who is speaking when at the Expo :P ) and you can meet/see all the smaller vendors that couldn't make it to the Expo. A lot more vendors at PIA than at the Expo.

getting fairly near or can I just not find the location of the schedule.

Neither could presenters, and I hope its not inappropriate posting what's been received, but I'm confident it's subject to change.
Hope this helps and will look forward to seeing you there!

Rob,

I sent an email with your schedule a while back. I'll check address and try to resend. Other info. included and we need to talk.

The speaker schedule DSE posted is out of date. Almost all of the speakers affected by changes have been notified and a new speaker schedule will go out to the speakers later today. I say almost because I'm still working out some late changes and additions.

It's not my decision that the speaker schedule is not on the web site. I wanted it to be but was over ruled.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I would so want to be there and attend at least 1/3 of the program...

Me too, looks like some good topics.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Sorry for being the noob dummy, but I am in the market for my first rig, and live about 6 hours from Reno. Will used rigs be sold there, and if so would it be worth it to go just for that? I looked at the website but couldn't figure out if it is open to the public, how much it would cost, etc. Thanks for any advice.

Really glad I live in Reno...I'm really looking forward to getting a day floor pass and meeting some of you guys! I wish I had the money or the time to check out some seminars...definitely next year:)

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Sorry for being the noob dummy, but I am in the market for my first rig, and live about 6 hours from Reno. Will used rigs be sold there, and if so would it be worth it to go just for that? I looked at the website but couldn't figure out if it is open to the public, how much it would cost, etc. Thanks for any advice.

While I don't think they will be selling used rigs out there, its defiantly worth going out and seeing whats on the market and deciding if you like it. I know they will have their skyhook demonstration out there, and I'm sure other manufacturers will have their latest and greatest for the world to see.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Definitely come up if you can - the exhibit hall is open every day (late afternoon/early evening timeframe) and you can buy an exhibit hall only pass for $7/day. That'll give you a chance to meet up with all the manufacturers reps who can tell you all about their stuff. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke