iambeav2

Rigging course and information

I'm looking at taking a riggers course and based on location and "local" hear-say, it's down to the three listed in the poll. I've got Chutingstar's information, am waiting on Jerry MacDonald's info from another source, and cannot find Dewolf's contact anywhere (his website isn't working).

The Poll, nor this thread, is not for bashing. Rather either recommending OR stating which one you went to.

Can anyone put me in contact w/ Dewolf and/or MacDonald?

P.S. - I've done searches and found Dewolf's dead site, Chuting star is easy to find, and nothing on MacDonald. The searches that pop up for dewolf are "Is anyone taking the course, blah blah blah" and are all old, but no info is actually posted.

Thanks in advanced.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Ok, finally, FINALLY found Dave's number...only to be told he runs an annual course. Bummer for me, but I guess a wee bit of closure, I found 'em. :P

...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Feel free to fill me in. I'm certainly not closing the options, these are just the ones I've been personally recommended. North Carolina's my part of the world. Recommend away for decent locations...NV, AZ, CA...are not decent locations, lol.

Hey thanks for the heads up Jerry. Yeah, I'm hoping to have mine before the jumping season...tis the season for a reason, lol. Thanks for the PM's guys. I've got some good leads to follow up with.

Feel free to fill me in. I'm certainly not closing the options, these are just the ones I've been personally recommended. North Carolina's my part of the world. Recommend away for decent locations...NV, AZ, CA...are not decent locations, lol.

That's too bad, Sandy Reid's course is excellent, not to mention that it takes place at a manufactures facility with all the associated equipment. If you change your mind on decent locations, I'd highly recommend you do Sandy's course.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey thanks for the heads up Jerry. Yeah, I'm hoping to have mine before the jumping season...tis the season for a reason, lol. Thanks for the PM's guys. I've got some good leads to follow up with.

I did it the old fashion way and went and shadowed a couple master riggers, almost every night, for about 2 months, then got ahold of Jerry and had him test me.

(he's probably still healing from the bedsores he got while I was sewing my patch :o:D:D)

I did want to attend the Chutingstar course, based on location and reputation, it would have been great for me. Just didn't work out for me like that.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the courses, but try to do some pre-work so you're not doing repacks when you could be sewing. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I did mine with Dave DeWolf, and learned a ton. However, I don't recommend the course because of the attitude of some of the instructors who assisted him. Many seemed to think it was their job to harass, insult, and general 'fuck with' the students. Given the amount of money I was paying to be there, it was just unprofessional.

Right now I'm a big fan of Chuting Star, and if (when?) I go for further ratings I'll probably head down to Atlanta.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

"

I did mine with Dave DeWolf, and learned a ton. However, I don't recommend the course because of the attitude of some of the instructors who assisted him. Many seemed to think it was their job to harass, insult, and general 'fuck with' the students. Given the amount of money I was paying to be there, it was just unprofessional.

_Am

"

Sadly, that attitude is popular amongst ex-military and wannabee military instructors.
They forget that military "training" is primarily about screening out the weak and lazy and if you learned anything during a military course, that was an un-expected by-product.

Wannabe military-style instructors just annoy me.
Few of them understand the "head games" they are playing.

Unfortunately, that bullying, abusive attitude slows the learning process for civilians. There is little need to "screen" civilian rigger candidates, because even a well-taught, gracious, gentelle, civilian rigging course quickly weeds out those who are not willing to spend half the day on their knees, doing manual labour.

Master Corporal (ret'd) Rob Warner, CD, BA, etc.
Strong Tandem Examiner
CSPA Rigger Examiner

_Am

Have you considered contacting either DeWolf or the appropriate instructor(s) with that feedback? A vast majority of the instructors welcome feedback, and would probably want to know if things that they said/did was construed in that way. None of the instructors intend to come across that way at all.... they try to keep things light because students are stressed enough as it is, so they really do try to alleviate the stress with humor. I know that Dave prides himself on having instructors that genuinely do care and want to help the students succeed.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

+1 for ChutingStar. Gotta reach them for senior study and certification.
Very satisfied of communication, any questions are answered, every (even crazy embassy problems) are sincerely solved.

They provide much information about the course, about rigger/student ratio which is kept 1:1 if possible. Lot of payment methods are available. Much tools are in stock and ready for shipment ... the only question is location ;) I'm thinking about reaching them, but there's public transit there. Can anybody pick me up? ;)

Will leave one more feedback upon course completion. Gotta visit embassy soon ...
--vintozver

Chuting Star would most likely pick you up @ the airport in ATL, or you can rent a car, lot of locals could/would help you with a ride too, just work with Mike@ CS or his employees and they will take care of you.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

The commercial airlines airport is about 50 to 75 miles away, so a taxi would be a small pile of cash. Yes I would ask Mike for help with a local jumper to pick you up. They are VERY friendly and helpful @ that business and that DZ. I'm sure you can find a ride for the cost of beer.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I did mine with Dave DeWolf, and learned a ton. However, I don't recommend the course because of the attitude of some of the instructors who assisted him.

Andy,
I literally just walked in the house from driving back from up there and found this.

There were two instructors that were at your course that are no longer a part of the scene there for exactly the reasons mentioned.

While you are entiltled to your opinion, whatever it maybe, I find it very disturbing.

The disturbing part is that you never mentioned that you missed basically two days out of 7 from the course.

After that, we bent over backwards to facilitate your needs.We succcessfully caught you up to the rest of the class which was not easy to say the least. (which we were under no obligation to do)The reason that you missed classes was not our fault.

Feel free to contact Dave or myself directly if you care to expand on the subject.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com