d123

BedBugs and rig

I got infested with bed-bugs. A nice gift from NY. I will hire an exterminator that would spray things in the house. I don't want my rig to be sprayed but I don't want the bed bugs infestation to come back from my rig neither. Any ideas?
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

im not sure if it will harm it but if you stick it in the freezer for a while they will die. cold is what most of the exterminators are using that are chemical free

How cold is cold enough? How do exterminators make a place cold enough - bring in mega portable refrigeration units?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think it's heat, not cold, that kills bedbugs. Heat+rig=bad.

But I read in Wikipedia that cockroaches can kill them. So you could always introduce cockroaches :).

Other than that, I got nuthin.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Boy! This is something new!
Never saw this question before...congrats!

Find out what they spray with and determine if the stuff will hurt your rig.

Hell, I don't know...bedbugs? Really?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

But I read in Wikipedia that cockroaches can kill them. So you could always introduce cockroaches :).

Wendy P.

I also believe it is heat. Most insects just go dormant under extreme cold conditions and become active again once the temperature rises.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Wendy P.

I also believe it is heat. Most insects just go dormant under extreme cold conditions and become active again once the temperature rises.

I have read and heard that cold, below freezing, will do it, but it will take several days at that sort of temp.

Heat (in excess of 120F) will do it much quicker.

Any chance of putting the rig in an oxygen-free atmosphere for a while?

A pure nitrogen atmosphere should kill just about anything that breathes pretty quick.

Don't know if it would kill eggs.

if you had a Mirage, you would just have to check for dropped bug panties and then you could exterminate them easily :D

anyways, have your rig INSPECTED by a rigger, any kind of bugs can be bad to nylon (specially when they die/are crushed)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Boy! This is something new!
Never saw this question before...congrats!

Find out what they spray with and determine if the stuff will hurt your rig.

Hell, I don't know...bedbugs? Really?

http://bedbugregistry.com/metro/nyc/

A real problem in hotels both in NYC & Chicago, some have taken to placing a card on the bed saying it's been checked and that it's 'clean'.

Whenever we travel the luggage stays in the garage until it's ready for laundering.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

How can I find/create/access an oxygen free atmosphere?

I was told to stick suspect items in a trash bag, vaccum out the air & and seal it tight for 7 days...but heard from someone else that works for lice but that's not 100% for bed-bugs.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A group i traveled with to a big US DZ found Bed Bugs in the house we rented. After considering a lot of options a couple of us decided to get the rig freezed for i believe a couple weeks at very low temperatures. Contact Airtec before you do that and find out the necessary temp and duration.
I chose to do nothing, my room wasn't infested.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

How can I find/create/access an oxygen free atmosphere?

Never mind. As I did more research about the ways I could think of to accomplish this, it became apparent that they are all too dangerous for casual use.

But, to answer the direct question of how? I was thinking of using something like a chest freezer filled with nitrogen or perhaps a welding shielding gas to displace the oxygen.

But, as I looked into it, it became apparent that atmospheres depleted of breathable oxygen are very very dangerous.

Wendy P.

To kill mountain pine beetles, you need temperatures below -30 degrees for three weeks or longer.

One logical answer will be to put the rig in a plastic bag for more than 1 moth in normal temperature to ensure that all the egss hatched and then with the plastic bag on put the rig in freezing temperature.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!