d123

BedBugs and rig

One logical answer will be to put the rig in a plastic bag for more than 1 moth in normal temperature to ensure that all the egss hatched and then with the plastic bag on put the rig in freezing temperature.

I would want to confirm first that 1 month of undisturbed bedbug infestation would not damage a rig.

Anyway, what's to stop the little critters from laying more eggs during that month?

You figure they won't lay more eggs if they don't have any blood to eat?

One logical answer will be to put the rig in a plastic bag for more than 1 moth in normal temperature to ensure that all the egss hatched and then with the plastic bag on put the rig in freezing temperature.

I would want to confirm first that 1 month of undisturbed bedbug infestation would not damage a rig.

Anyway, what's to stop the little critters from laying more eggs during that month?

You figure they won't lay more eggs if they don't have any blood to eat?

:o:S

Killing bed bugs yourself can be a daunting task. They can hide under base boards, the back of dresser drawers, behind light switches... just about anywhere. The adult bed bug is about the size of an apple seed and flat, until they feed that is. While bed bugs are not a heath danger (do not carry or transmit diseases), they are enough to keep you awake at night just thinking about them. A single bed bug bite can easily be mistaken for a mosquito bite and written off as such giving them time to multiply. Once you find one you can be assured that there are hundreds if not thousands more.

In the long run, a full blown infestation might require a professional exterminator. After all, how many is to many? Before you decide to take action, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Bed bugs can live a year without feeding on a hosts blood (usually you). An adult female can lay 200 - 500 eggs in her lifetime. It generally takes an egg 50 days to mature. So whether you're a do-it-yourselfer or hire a pro, it will take several treatments and constant observation. With that said... If the problem has not gotten to far out of control there are several ways to win the fight against bedbugs. The first 3 listed here are required no matter what you do next

1* Wash everything in site in the hottest water you can find. Begbugs start dying off at around 114 degrees F. Then use a dryer on its hottest setting. Not out on the line to air dry. Temperature is key. In hot, dry climates (Phoenix for example) it is just as effective to out your bedding and cloths in a black garbage bag and set it out in the sun for an afternoon.

2* Vacuum. Vacuum every corner, crook and cranny. Vacuum the drapes, the box springs, the furniture, etc. Vacuum like your life depended on it. Bed bugs are not dirty critters. They don't care about crumbs or old food like cockroaches. But they need vacuumed up and then take the whole vacuum cleaner outside to change bags... Vacuum again.

3* Steam Clean. Now that you have their attention, combine #1 and #2. Put hot, HOT water in the steam cleaner and go over the room again.

4* Just as effective as heat is, cold works also. Problem is that it needs to stay below freezing for 2 weeks to work.

5* Biological warfare. Prior to WWII beg bugs were all but eliminated. Around that time the government outlawed DDTs. Sense then there numbers have been rising and forced tamer chemicals and traps. There are numerous chemicals on the market but nearly all of them are not intended to touch the skin. These are best meant for non-traffic areas, box springs, drapes, etc.

6* Mattress Bags. Depending on the level of bedbug infestation, your best bet may be to discard the mattress all together. For milder cases, the chemicals from #5 can be sprinkled on and injected into the mattress before you seal it in a waterproof mattress bag. They start at about $60 and go up depending on the size needed.

7* Diatomaceous Earth. This is the alternative to harsh chemicals. It is an all natural powder ground up from little tiny fossils of single-celled algae. They even put it in dog food as a preservative. On a microscopic level it has jagged edges that cut and kill the bedbugs as they crawl across it. Basically it is just dirt.

8* Traps and Tape. This is more for monitoring but flypaper, roach traps and the like will allow you to keep tabs on how effective your efforts have been so far. And then from any shipping supply store you can pickup double sided sticky tape to wrap around the sides of the mattress. Yet another way to trap and monitor bed bug traffic.

9* Thyme and tree leaf oil. These are a repellent more then anything else. It does not kill them. They get a whiff of it and head the other way. But remember that bed bugs can live a year without feeding so they are still reproducing.

10* Neem. Neem oil and neem extract. If you find that you have been attacked by bed bugs, this will sooth the itching and moisturize the skin. Matter of fact it is good for the skin whether you have bed bugs or not. Bonus is that it keeps the bedbugs off of you while sleeping.

There we have 7 ways to kill bed bugs and a few ways to monitor your progress in controlling bed bugs. The more you combine the above recommendations the better luck you will have before the need for an exterminator. Just a work of warning though... if you do break down and need to hire an exterminator, they will ask you to clean up anyway before they even show up. Get rid of clutter. ' ziplock ' bag all cloths, bedding, sheets, and so on. Vacuum and basically do everything mentioned above in 1 though 3.

In closing, know that before you begin, it will take weeks and months of constant cleaning, washing, monitoring, vacuuming over and over again to successfully kill the bed bugs throughout there whole life cycle. And hopefully you can catch it before it spreads through out the house. All it takes is a couple of stowaways in the laundry, luggage, sleeping bags or any fabric that you tote around.

~I C K ! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

How can I find/create/access an oxygen free atmosphere?

Never mind. As I did more research about the ways I could think of to accomplish this, it became apparent that they are all too dangerous for casual use.

But, to answer the direct question of how? I was thinking of using something like a chest freezer filled with nitrogen or perhaps a welding shielding gas to displace the oxygen.

But, as I looked into it, it became apparent that atmospheres depleted of breathable oxygen are very very dangerous.

I think you can do it in a relatively safe way with a large cooler (where you can fit the rig) and a flew blocks of dry ice. The dry ice will sublimate, and CO2 being heavier than air, it will displace the air and O2 out of there. Keep it closed, with some sort of small 1 way valve, and it should work.

Edit: but it wont do anything for the eggs I guess....
Remster

Good reading:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Bed_Bug_Manual_v1_full_reduce_326605_7.pdf

>Anyway, what's to stop the little critters from laying more eggs during that month?
It's a supposition. Bed bugs have 5 states from hatched egg to addult. They need to suck blood to move to the next state.
Assuming that we've not put any addults in the bag they will never get addults without blood.

>You figure they won't lay more eggs if they don't have any blood to eat?
Yes.

>I would want to confirm first that 1 month of undisturbed bedbug infestation would not damage a rig.
Good observation.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

You live in Montreal and it's January. Leave the thing out on the porch for two weeks.
If you don't have an AAD in it, it won't hurt to soak it in real hot water in the bathtub for a few hours. The bitch is drying it out afterwards, and you'll need a reserve repack. If you have an AAD, you or a rigger could take the rig out in the yard and remove it, being careful not to get bugs on you while you handle it. Good luck.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I had my rigs with me in my hotel room in SF when I got bed bugs...
I emailed PD to ask them about it and I did get a response from them... the information below is not their response... i forget what they said and couldn't find the email.

I washed all material in my appt in HOT water and dried on HIGH heat and sprayed surfaces/luggage/furniture/floors/baseboards etc. with insecticide... Make sure you get something with permethrin...The higher the permethrin content, the better it will work. This is what professionals use. see info here:

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/permethrin_fs.htm

Once you've cleaned everything in HOT HOT water/drying and sprayed everything with permethrin, wait 10-14 days and do it again... You should have everything taken care of.... a 3rd application MAY be necessary, but keep in mind 2 things:

a) it can take a while for a new bed bug bite to manifest... so if you wake up with a "new bite," it's possible it was 2 days ago you were bitten and you sprayed yesterday... the bug's likely dead you just had shitty timing.

b) your skin can be sensitive to chemicals so if you spray every 10-14 days for months on end, you could start to develop skin irritations from the chemicals that you may think are bug bites... or that will prevent your bug bites from healing, making you think you have more!

DO NOT SPRAY THIS ON YOUR GEAR...OR PUT YOUR GEAR IN HIGH HEAT.

Take your gear, put it in plastic bags (i double bagged incase i accidentally punched a hole in the outer bag) and put it in the deep freeze for at least 2 weeks... Remove it and inspect (outdoors) the whole thing... every stitch and seam...

You will know if there are bed bugs in it... you will either see bugs, dead bugs, eggs, bug feces or nothing... you can't miss it. Make sure you look under the loose edges of binding tape along every seem on the rig... If you plan on having a rigger do the inspection for you, make sure you tell them what's up so they do the inspection outside and don't infect their homes/loft.

I didn't find any bugs in my gear and when I woke up I probably had 5-10 bugs on me, more in the bed and I had well over 100 bites in less than 2 hrs of being in the bed. there were LOTS of bugs in my room... seems like they didn't go for my gear though. :)

***DISCLAIMER: My brother used to be an exterminator and I consulted with him and his boss (company owner) prior to undertaking this mission. It was a huge pain in the ass but the bugs were gone in 2 wks... YMMV***

Bedbugs are tough but they will not survive without food. If you keep the rig sealed in an airtight bag when not in use they should eventually die in there (assuming there are some in there).

Or maybe if you just left it in the car boot when not in use they would just leave it of their own accord....

Bed bugs can live a hell of a long time without feeding... I wouldn't just seal my gear in bags and leave it until they die... I'd have a new Vector before the bugs were dead......ha

"A well fed bedbug can live anywhere from four to six months, while a dormant one might live without feeding for up to 18 months."
-Source: www.bed-bug.org

I had my rigs with me in my hotel room in SF when I got bed bugs...
I emailed PD to ask them about it and I did get a response from them... the information below is not their response... i forget what they said and couldn't find the email.

I washed all material in my appt in HOT water and dried on HIGH heat and sprayed surfaces/luggage/furniture/floors/baseboards etc. with insecticide... Make sure you get something with permethrin...The higher the permethrin content, the better it will work. This is what professionals use. see info here:

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/permethrin_fs.htm

Once you've cleaned everything in HOT HOT water/drying and sprayed everything with permethrin, wait 10-14 days and do it again... You should have everything taken care of.... a 3rd application MAY be necessary, but keep in mind 2 things:

a) it can take a while for a new bed bug bite to manifest... so if you wake up with a "new bite," it's possible it was 2 days ago you were bitten and you sprayed yesterday... the bug's likely dead you just had shitty timing.

b) your skin can be sensitive to chemicals so if you spray every 10-14 days for months on end, you could start to develop skin irritations from the chemicals that you may think are bug bites... or that will prevent your bug bites from healing, making you think you have more!

DO NOT SPRAY THIS ON YOUR GEAR...OR PUT YOUR GEAR IN HIGH HEAT.

Take your gear, put it in plastic bags (i double bagged incase i accidentally punched a hole in the outer bag) and put it in the deep freeze for at least 2 weeks... Remove it and inspect (outdoors) the whole thing... every stitch and seam...

You will know if there are bed bugs in it... you will either see bugs, dead bugs, eggs, bug feces or nothing... you can't miss it. Make sure you look under the loose edges of binding tape along every seem on the rig... If you plan on having a rigger do the inspection for you, make sure you tell them what's up so they do the inspection outside and don't infect their homes/loft.

I didn't find any bugs in my gear and when I woke up I probably had 5-10 bugs on me, more in the bed and I had well over 100 bites in less than 2 hrs of being in the bed. there were LOTS of bugs in my room... seems like they didn't go for my gear though. :)

***DISCLAIMER: My brother used to be an exterminator and I consulted with him and his boss (company owner) prior to undertaking this mission. It was a huge pain in the ass but the bugs were gone in 2 wks... YMMV***

>>>Make sure you get something with permethrin...The higher the permethrin content, the better it will work. This is what professionals use.

~Keeping in mind of course that permethrin is basically a nerve gas type agent, that also causes cancer...;)

Soaking it in alcohol will kill most of them. If you then ignite the alcohol, the heat will kill more of them. Then putting it in the freezer will not only cool it down, but kill the last ones.

Keep your rig out of my: house; car; rigger's loft; packing hangar; packing mat; state.

bed bugs, eggs, lava all die in 120 degrees. you can buy a luggage heater. you put your rig in there plug it in, a few hours later bed bugs are dead. you can find them online. i would ask a rigger if your rig can handle 120 degrees. i'm sure it can considering in some countrys its 120 all day long

Soaking it in alcohol will kill most of them. If you then ignite the alcohol, the heat will kill more of them. Then putting it in the freezer will not only cool it down, but kill the last ones.

And ya can nail any left-over runners with an icepick! B|

Done, the exterminator clear the rig because was too far. It's outside in the cold cold weather.

What?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

So, the BB nest close to the food (hence the name Bed Bugs), Kitchen is almost never a place where you'll find them. They are attracted by CO2 emition and warm bodies (think a human sleeping - we exale CO2 and we are warm) and also they hate the sun light. They nest (lay eggs) near their pray hiding in small cracks of almost everything (bed frame, mattess, etc). Out of the 5 room we had them in only 1 room (spraying with product force them out and they were hiding in the screw holes of the bed frame) and the rig was in the basement far away from stable CO2 emitions and warm condition. Basement was clean (no BB exit as we spray it) so we decided to keep the rig in plastic bags and outside in the cold (outside) for some time. Don't use garbage bags as they are treated with a product.

Hope this shades some light over the situation.

I'm also looking for reserve repack if any of you riggers out there feel men enough to handle a rig that has the moral stains of co-existing nest to BB drop an email. Lol. I'm kidding. I never pack my reserve, I always Paper Pack it. LOL. I'm kidding again. Some of you will pack my reserve.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!