flygirl03

Computer help, please

I know little to nothing about computers.
I do think that my 5 yr old aptiva is Dying.
It's making a funny noise, which I can only guess is the fan going out. Seems like I read somewhere that when it Does go out ... that's it. Dead.
Two Questions.
1) I want to make a back up from the pc and put all the info in my laptop.....But I don't know How.
What format do I save the info in so it is compatible with the laptop?
2) How do I connect my Laptop to the dsl that the pc is on?
When I installed the DSL I had to put a Card (?) in my computer. I can't put that in the laptop... so How do I hook it up?
Anyone with Simple instructions.. feel free to email me a the dropzone email addy.
THANK YOU in advance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

See if you have a network connection on your laptop. If you don't, the fastest/easiest thing to do is to pick up a cheap one. Its different then for a normal PC, you have to get a PCMCIA card to put in the PCMCIA slot. Follow the instructons that come with the card.

Next, you need a cross over cable. Then you can network the two systems together and transfer all your data.

Or you can do what was always done for me when I was that age...pay the 14 year old kid down the street $50 to do it for you. I made some good money back then that way.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

HUH????
Sorry, you really lost me. Too late to think that hard :S
I will try to make sense of it tomorrow... Thanks.
Can I get someone at Circut City or Best Buy to help me get the right card or cable?

LOL about the kid down the street. I have a KID right here (16) who knows TONS more than I do ...but she doesn't know about the DSL stuff.
THANK YOU.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

and don't forget, if the fan is dying, you can just replace it. fans aren't really that expensive, and they aren't that hard to install. ask your cousin if she would know how to do it. (and there are online guides that she can just follow)

if the noise really is your fan dying, the last thing you want to do is just keep running your computer and transfering stuff for a while, because your motherboard or hard disk will overheat, permently ruining them.

MB 3528, RB 1182

So am I right.... this thing is going KaPut??

Funny noise could be the hard drive getting ready to die also. Backing up your data would be wise.

You do not need a router if you just want to use the laptop now to connect to the net via your existing DSL.

You can get a Network card for your laptop at BB or CC. The DSL service provider might give you a free Laptop network card and set it up. Talk to them.

As far as backing up data, you might have to use the method Dave suggested, an external Hard drive is the best solution, only problem is I don't know if your PC has a USB or FireWire port.