JustRelax

Any Flat Pack instuctions with pictures on line?

Anyone know on any flat pack instructional resources on line, preferably with pictures?

I am an AFF student starting to learn to Flat Pack a student rig. I thought any resources on line could help.

if you want to get pro-packing instructions - there's some on my site (let's not get into the pro vs flat pack people, I'm just offering an alternative and trying to plug my web site)
http://www.sidsrigging.com/Articles/packing/packing_index.htm
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I wouldn’t recommend to get into flat packing too much. It definitely helps the beginners to understand the structure of the canopy but it is a good idea to switch to pro-packing as soon as possible. I flat packed the student main 3 or 4 times and started to pro-pack my own main when I had 20 jumps. As far as instructions, I personally found that a few lessons from good packer help better than videos, on-line instructions and manufacturers recommendations. Look at people packing, look at different angles and ask as many questions as possible (but get their permission to ask questions in advance to make sure that you will not piss them off by talking too much ;))

if you want to get pro-packing instructions - there's some on my site (let's not get into the pro vs flat pack people, I'm just offering an alternative and trying to plug my web site)
http://www.sidsrigging.com/Articles/packing/packing_index.htm

sid.... your website Rocks!!!!!
and as for "flat pack"... the term sounds so "deflating, so "flat "so "non effervescent' hahaha :o:DB|;)
anyway,,,,let's call it "Pre-Pro" packing....;):)
jimmy

I wouldn’t recommend to get into flat packing too much. It definitely helps the beginners to understand the structure of the canopy but it is a good idea to switch to pro-packing as soon as possible.

Why??? My philosophy has always been: you're the one that's under it when it opens . . . pack whatever way you feel comfortable with. (assuming that it's done safely)

If you are already uder the supervision of an instructor or packer, ignore the Flat packing pictures. They really aren't that good. (I'm being nice)

Flat packing is fine. Go with it for now especially if it's a big parachute. It really will help you in the long run.

Sids Site has some Really nice PRO Pack pictures. I'm impressed. Look those over when you're ready just to get an idea of what you're looking at when you start to PRO pack.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I wouldn’t recommend to get into flat packing too much.

You're joking right? I know people who can flat pack a canopy faster than most people PRO pack. Knowing how to flat pack is as essential as knowing emergency procedures or how your equpment functions. For some people flat packing is easier to do than a PRO pack, especially for those with large mains. Regardless, one should become proficient at flat packing before moving to PRO packing. it all goes with the crawl, walk, run theory of learning.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Packing areas are not becoming larger proportionally with increasing number of jumpers.

I can flat pack a Tandem in a Hall way. That's an invalid arguement.
;)

Edit: to add the word flat
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I disagree ;)

In crowded places it is much faster and easier to PRO pack

I strongly disagree. I 've seen people flat pack and be out of the way before a PRO packer was even working on getting it into the bag. Again, your theory doesn't hold water.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You're joking right? I know people who can flat pack a canopy faster than most people PRO pack. Knowing how to flat pack is as essential as knowing emergency procedures or how your equpment functions.

my girlfriend(Fallinwoman) would be one of those that can out pack me..well she used to be able to out pack me..and flat packing works for her. it's the only way she has found to slow down her monster hard opening sabre...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

When you say the pictures "aren't that good",
I hope you aren't refering to the ones at:
http://www.pcprg.com/packing.htm

They are only supposed to give a general idea of how
some "flat" packs are done, not be packing instructions.

If anyone wants good packing instructions, find some
reserve packing instructions of the "stack pack" variety.

This was the best site recommended for flat packing, except I couldnt read the instructions, coz they are in Intalian I think. Actually still didnt find the picks any better than actually being in the packing room for real.

I hear the dialogue about Pro packing but coz im a student im expected as part of the training to get signed off for flat packing. I guess Ill move on to the Pro packing in time.

My idea is to pay a good packer to train me properly. Im an adult educator so Im going to tell him how I want to be trained - which is:
1.Pack it while i watch at normal speed (Ill stand at his side, facing his way always)
2. Pack it slowly while I watch and tell me what you're doing as you do it.
3. repeat number 2.
4. let me do it while you watch and Ill tell you what im doing as I do it. (I can be corrected as I go)
5. Repeat number 4 until I seem to have got it.
Note: If it's too much to take in break this cycle into segments untill each segment is achieved and then run the training cycle putting the segments together.

So people if you find yourself showing others how to do it this is the way I recommend you do it...works for teaching any practical skill.

PD still has flat pack instructions for their reserves.

Go ahead and learn how to flat pack. Practice well, get to know your canopy and enjoy. When when you move on to Pro packing you will know two packing methods. Knowledge & experience is always a plus.

You can even do a flat/pro pack. ;)

I still flat pack my main & in less time than the average pro pack.

www.geronimoskydiving.com

LouDiamond

You're joking right? I know people who can flat pack a canopy faster than most people PRO pack. Knowing how to flat pack is as essential as knowing emergency procedures or how your equpment functions. For some people flat packing is easier to do than a PRO pack, especially for those with large mains. Regardless, one should become proficient at flat packing before moving to PRO packing. it all goes with the crawl, walk, run theory of learning.

+1

I personally refuse to PRO pack any canopy I cannot lift off the ground at my waist (that normally means 120 square feet). PRO packing tandems is dumb and causes so many line-overs at some dropzones that the instructors just laugh about it like it's not a big deal. The "it takes too much space to flat-pack" argument is BS as it normally takes about one minute to get from side layout to stack. Ultimately, it should be about what makes sense, not what others tell you is "how everyone else does it". I work at a place where every one of our students jumps his own packjob on his first jump. Guess what we teach/test them on?

Chuck
AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO, S&TA, FAA Senior Rigger

SkymonkeyONE

+1

I personally refuse to PRO pack any canopy I cannot lift off the ground at my waist (that normally means 120 square feet). PRO packing tandems is dumb and causes so many line-overs at some dropzones that the instructors just laugh about it like it's not a big deal. The "it takes too much space to flat-pack" argument is BS as it normally takes about one minute to get from side layout to stack. Ultimately, it should be about what makes sense, not what others tell you is "how everyone else does it". I work at a place where every one of our students jumps his own packjob on his first jump. Guess what we teach/test them on?

Chuck
AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO, S&TA, FAA Senior Rigger

I couldnt flat-pack even if my life depended on it yet I can pro-pack my zero jump canopy (170sqft) in a reasonable amount of time. Does this mean I should still learn to flat-pack too before moving on?