thechad

How to break an apartment lease..

I'm not sure where you live, but I used to work in property management in california, so this is california information.

how to move out without paying the termination fee:

1. don't pay your rent. they will send you a "three day pay or quit" notice. move out within three days. They can charge you an "improper notice" fee of one month's rent, but can't charge the termination fee, which is usually more. please note, this is a hit on your credit, and can make it harder to find an apartment elsewhere.

2. talk to them. have them put you on notice to move and try to lease the place. tell them you will not move until two weeks before the new person is moving in. they may waive the termination fee under these circumstances. get it in writing.

3. find someone on your own who wants to lease the apartment, who qualifies. add them on as your roommate, on the lease. a day or two later, have them sign a "roommate release form" to release you from the lease. the apartment is now his, and you're free to go.

I move to Utah every winter (with the exception of this one). nobody out there has a 3 month lease unless you want to pay around 1600/mo for a 2 bedroom and fees for 3 month lease.

I rent with the same apartment company everytime and break my lease at around 4 months. I have been paying the 5th month even though i leave after 4. They are ok with that.

bottom line?...talk to them and be prepard to meet them halfway (ie..pay for an extra month...)

Depends on what the circumstances are.

What's going on that you need to break the lease only 90 days early? Does your contract give you the right to break the lease for cause? Does the neighbor's dog continually leave presents on your front step? What's up?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I think a new law has been passed since so many folks do a lot of international travel for the gov't on short notice for long durations.

I think the law exempt's these folks from a penalty for breaking their rental lease among othe long term commitments

If you got the look how about you got to got called up to play in the sand. B|