Coreefdiver

Slider Locks / Tabs (SLOCKS)

ok, I just spent about an hour looking for a thread I read yesterday, and I can't find the damn thing.

I was looking at getting a Sky Tie as I had read of the issues of using the bungie/ball type (and the 'recent' malfunction).. the more I read, the less I wanted something on my reserve flap.

In one of the threads, someone posted 3 pictures of slider locks/tabs on their front risers (black blocks on grey risers)

these looked the cleanest i've seen of all the types I've seen.

I've seen the Brian Germain type (zigzag'd cord(~)) but those were not them, the closest I've seen are the ones shown at ChutingStar
http://www.chutingstar.com/expertadvice_en/canopies/98-slider-keeper-without-attachment.html

we could open the discussion up to all the slider lock types, see what everyone thinks (and this site has oppinions that are as differing as the universe is big!) but I was hoping for the grey riser pics and more information on those.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Those came on Infinity risers and looked like they were done at the factory.

I no longer have the rig, but I remember that there was a stiffener in the top half.

If this info and the factory don't help, I can get you in touch with the new owner.

blue skies !

Thanks Paul, I'm hot on the trail!
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

These are the ones I made for my riser sets (both work perfectly).
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3457338#3457338
I tried the one you mentioned but didn’t like much the bulk created (the risers did not seat as nicely over the shoulder).

These are very thin and almost invisible (volume behind comes from riser housings).
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

this is the cleanest I have seen

Thanks, I would have to agree.

Jeff

I was sure that you are involved in the design:P Thanks,they work fantastic

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

These are the ones I made for my riser sets (both work perfectly).

From this thread, it looks like simple blocks, not extending past the width of the risers, on the BACK of the risers, is enough.

Interesting, as I had not yet gone as far as building them on the back of the riser. Having them on the front is more visible but certainly snags the grommets well.

With the risers tensioned, and the slider grommets at an angle, it doesn't take much for them to catch and hold. That may not have been apparent as much in the early days when people started building these things -- really wide tabs or complex folding ones just aren't necessary for normal situations.

I have made and tested several designs....

I settled on the simplest/quickest, which is just one wrap of 1/2" squareweave with full a width turnbacks to cover the raw edge and add a little bulk.

These work great on old-school brass #8s and also the SS #25s you get on pd (and other) sliders.

dang, not sure what to do, so many different ways people are doing this.. not quite 100% on what I want to do now.. I do know the reserve flap devices are out.

anyone with any hard info on one way vs another, speak up please :)