passaroc

Learn Swoops: Sabre 2 x Safire 2

Which one is better to learn swoops? Sabre 2 or Safire 2?

The overall minor differences between these canopies is much less important than getting coaching from a qualified canopy coach, learning the basics and learning to swoop and fly your canopy slowly over a thought out progression.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Safire2 from my experience. There's a Safire2 109 at Square 1 that seems to have a longer recovery arc than either the Pilot or Sabre2's of similar sizes that I've jumped.

Are rear risers used much when swooping these types of canopies?

Safire2 from my experience. There's a Safire2 109 at Square 1 that seems to have a longer recovery arc than either the Pilot or Sabre2's of similar sizes that I've jumped.

Are rear risers used much when swooping these types of canopies?

Yes and no.

First, the yes:

Rears are typically explored more during this phase of learning, including various flight configurations; however, rear riser plane outs after a front riser input are typically not done. Straight in rear riser landings is often experimented with, after playing with the control range and stalls while up high.

Now, the no:

At this point in someone's learning, rear riser input after a front riser maneuver to land is a bad idea. More focus should be spent on the flight pattern, the turn to final, body position and altitudes. Rear riser input is something that is added after those other variables have been worked out to some extent.

Can you rip a smoking turn and pop the rears on a Sabre2 or Safire2? Absolutely. In the hands of a capable canopy pilot both of those canopies can deliver an incredible amount of performance; however, this class of canopy is typically used as a stepping stone for the learning swooper and not applied quite in that fashion. So the canopy's range, slower speeds and typically lower wingloadings are the advantage for a proper learning platform.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm no expert obviously but I've put a few jumps on each of those (basically all I've owned) and I've generally found the Safire 2 to have a shorter recovery arc at the loadings I was flying it at as compared to the Sabre 2. Maybe it was a loading thing or maybe I just suck? :D

I jumped both and preffered the Sabre2 way more for swooping. The recovery arc of the Safire2 is much shorter than that of the Sabre2.

I jumped a Sabre2 170 @1.5 and a Safire2 - 139 @1.8 and still preffered the Sabre2 for the swooplandings. I sold the Safire2 coming from the Sabre2 within 30 jumps because it felt like a downgrade for swooping because of the very short recovery arc.

The Safire2 builds up speed nicely and you can make a nice swoop with it but the very short recovery arc in my opinion is dangerous for swooping. The Safire2 is a great canopy but in my eyes just not suited for learning to swoop.
Blue skies!