MrLicious

Used Pilot Rigs

Does anybody know a good source for used pilot bailout rigs?

They pop up from time to time in the classifieds, but you might want to post a wanted ad for one.

Also, some rigging shops have some (along with riggers) call a shop and see if they have what you're looking for.

I've got one, but I won't place it into service (theres nothing wrong with it that I've found, its just old)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was wondering myself.

Barnstormers has some, but no separate category, so one ends up searching through powered parachutes when looking for a parachute.

The International Aerobatic Club doesn't have any online ads, but members on the email list (not run by the IAC) very occasionally post something. One can view the archives month by month at http://aerobaticsweb.org/pipermail/acro/

The Soaring Society of America (SSA) has their classifieds online but there aren't many. (No parachutes there at the moment for example)
http://www.ssa.org/magazine/classifieds.asp?classification=0,1

There's always eBay. But what category is best? Not sure. A generic 'parachute' search even in Outdoor Sports comes up with too many ads for 'parachute cord' etc.
And there you get things like a faded Security 150 rig being sold for $1000 - not the best deal.

Any other ideas?

I'm not specifically looking for myself but I had someone call me today looking for one and I had no good resource to tell them. I was just wondering if there was a site out somewhere that I didn't know about that might have them.
There are no pessimists in skydiving.

My Advice: It's worth what you pay for it, and I'm an expert at it.

I know of lots of sources, but few "good" sources.

There are plenty of people willing to sell you "lightly used" Security 150s that are older than their airplanes!!!!
Good luck finding a rigger who is willing to repack them!
Hah!
Hah!
And steer away from anything built during the "acid mesh era" (1980s).
If you want "decent" used PEPs, call the major manufacturers: Butler, Para-Phernalia, Rigging Innovations or Strong.

Last week, a customer asked my opinion on three second-hand PEPs and I steered him towards the Aviaotr 240 on Rigging Innovations' second-hand rack.

Please steer them away from Ebay. To many things are unairworthy and overpriced. I'd also steer them away from anything military surplus. That's my prejudice but most of it is too old anyway. Even if it says just packed by FAA rigger there are some riggers that will pack anything. Have them get the opinion of the rigger that they will used before they buy anything.

Some in the want ads here are also too old and overpriced IMHO.

The two dealers above have used things. Don is more liberal with what he will sell. Also contact the manufacturers directly. Paraphernalia has two used H/C on it's web site but it hasn't been updated recently.

Some of the sites that pilots find also have over priced, too old equipment.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Rob,

And steer away from anything built during the "acid mesh era" (1980s).

Interestingly, I got a call yesterday morning from a rigger in Arizona that you and I both know. He wanted some info on my approval to recertify SAC canopies. He had been contacted by another rigger in Arizona ( to remain un-named ) who was of the opinion that he ( the un-named rigger ) could merely do the acid mesh test & the fabric pull test himself and the canopy ( if it passed ) would be good to go.

I informed the rigger who called me that only those people who held an approval from the FAA for the re-certification of these canopies could legally do this testing. BTW ( and just to brag a little B|) I was the 2nd person in the US to get the approval; Manley Butler was the first.

Apparently this SAC canopy was in a pilot rig that had been sitting for 'some time.' :S

JerryBaumchen