skyflower_bloom

Custom container and new reserve- comes packed- repack?

There was a recent thread where it was claimed that in 2 different incidents the reserve was not attached to the risers.

Perhaps the OP is having the assembly done at no additional cost, but I kinda doubt it - they should be able to get a discount if that service is not provided (even if it is normally included), so they really shouldn't have to be spending extra, and in fact a local rigger may charge less for assembly than the mfg. An advantage of having the mfg assemble is that the rig might be available to jump a bit sooner.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

"I'll just watch you pack someone else's.":)

That's brilliant. :)
I once found a rig, Inspected and repacked by the factory that designed and built it, with a packing weight in the reserve. Factory riggers are like every other riggers, they are human. They make mistakes just like you and I make mistakes.

I am my own rigger, I would always repack my own stuff because that way I know it is right.

Ever think of learning to be your own rigger?

I wonder how many people have never seen their reserves (?)

they just turn it in for repack.

heck you should pop it before turning it in, just for the sake of going through the motions of a real pull (on the ground), not to mention you know that you will get it repacked and not pencil whipped (not that anyone would ever do that). Inspecting the thing on your own is a good idea too.. I'd not be happy to find improperly assembled stuff (like the lines/riser someone posted above)
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

I have a feeling a lot of people haven't seen their reserves. I am more than willing to help people learn about their equipment when they show interest.

To the original poster, why don't you take the time to bring your new rig to your rigger, put it on, cut away the main and pull the reserve? Have her show you the components and how they all work. Ask her about freebags and why they are a good idea. You paid thousands of dollars for your freefall training, throw in 50 extra bucks and a nice bottle and she will teach all sorts of neat stuff.

Don't be offended if she doesn't want you to hang around while she packs it, but she should be willing to at least show it all to you and learn you some stuff.

heck you should pop it before turning it in

Many riggers prefer to be able to see how it was previously packed. This can help them with the final appearance by being able to see how the bulk was previously distributed, among other things. Of course that is not possible if the reserve actually gets used, but if you want to pull the handle yourself, try to give your rigger an opportunity to be present.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Do the right thing...for peace of mind if nothing else.

Buy the rig and have it shipped un-assembled.
Have your trusted rigger inspect and assemble it for you.
Be there with the rigger when he/she does it.

Simple as that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Haha well pops, it appears I did do just that... apparently four months ago, the dealer I ordered through was thinking ahead, even if I was not... and ordered my stuff to come unassembled! So, it all worked out.

But this discussion has been helpful as I thought it would come with the reserve packed and was not certain what was proper to do.

I did not know you could request otherwise, but with a CYPRES needing to be installed by my rigger anyways, that is why he knew to order it that way.

Thanks for all the good feedback :)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Haha well pops, it appears I did do just that... apparently four months ago, the dealer I ordered through was thinking ahead, even if I was not... and ordered my stuff to come unassembled! So, it all worked out.

But this discussion has been helpful as I thought it would come with the reserve packed and was not certain what was proper to do.

I did not know you could request otherwise, but with a CYPRES needing to be installed by my rigger anyways, that is why he knew to order it that way.

I'd rather assemble, inspect and pack it anyways... cypres or not.

Well, not really... hopefully your rigger is good at the bulk distrobution on the V3-348... took me a couple tries to get it to fit right B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'd rather assemble, inspect and pack it anyways... cypres or not.

Well, not really... hopefully your rigger is good at the bulk distribution on the V3-348... took me a couple tries to get it to fit right B|

did you get it figured out right now?

bah.. maybe i should have had you pack it for me like ya offered before, lol. my rigger pretty much yelled at me and told me to go away "people are trying to watch the football game and study up here, you are distracting them..." wait whaa? i thought we were packing a rig, is that not the priority? who is distracting who from what again? (in her defense, i can be rather distracting, it's no lie... hehe. i just wanna know how my darn rig works, it's a 5 grand piece of equipment whose job is to keep me from dying, knowledge is power and all that, no?)

i asked if she would talk me through it and she's like, uh no, not if you want it done right... so we got sent to the bar down the road to avoid any pissing matches. i can't say i minded too much :P but i kinda wanted to see it or at least have some explanation of my gear.. i think maybe i will have her or another rigger at my dz walk me through it another day; i mean, it's winter in WI, there's always time to kill on the dz.. but ya she threatened to double the price of my canopy stabilizer patching job if i hung around... so off i went... lol.

oh and turns out it is a v3-350 though, not the 348, i wasn't sure what we ended up going with.. it doesn't seem entirely symmetrical but i am feeling that has some relation to my own packing of the main teehee.. it's an evil evil thing to try to close though, spent 2.5 hours start to finish packing it, from a daisy-chained main and already packed/installed AAD/reserve. i actually managed to bag it pretty comfortably on my 2nd go round but i am fairly sure that closing the stupid container was the most tedious thing i have done in the sport this entire season.

please tell me it gets easier, and it's just because it is new? i have never had trouble closing a container on student or rental gear, just gotta break it in maybe, or loosen the closing loop a wee bit? meh. still
anyways, you can come do my next repack if i get to sit around and interrogate you the whole time :)

like your rig btw... finally got pics of mine i'll send you (no not those pics lol) or i'll put one on my avatar (i know i am a copycat; you inspire me, what can i say)

blue ones... R
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

i asked if she would talk me through it and she's like, uh no, not if you want it done right..

Time for a new rigger.

why not get both sides of the story first?

It sounds like skyflower showed up and expected a full briefing on how the rig works, right then and there.
Is it possible that her rigger wasn't planning on packing the second she got there ? Is it possible that the OP could be extremely annoying (she admitted to it herself), and as such the rigger didn't want to turn their A-I-R into a mini rigging seminar ?

you know that old sign "Rates : $45 an hour, $65 if you watch, $90 if you help"

If you read my reply to your post, it said -

you can also arrange to be present when your rigger does the repack. She can show you the 'insides' of the rig, how everything is hooked up, and how it all gets packed in there. A little knowledge can go a long way.

The operative word being 'arrange', as-in plan ahead with your rigger for you to be present during the repack.

From what you said, it sounds like your rigger either works out of her house, or some other multi-use space becasue she referenced other people were trying to use the space at that same time. A rigging 'lesson' invovles a non-stop dialouge between the two you going over each step in the process, and answering any questions you may have. It would be a dis-service to both you and the others using the room to try and conduct a lesson and have the other folks doing whatever they are doing. On top of that, it will alomost double the amount of time the rigger needs to get the job done.

Does that mean she should tell you to beat it? Probably not. Rigging is a relationship, and if she wants your ongoing business, taking some extra time to walk you through the assembly and packing of your first rig is her investment in building that long-term relationship.

Some factors to consider would be if you need the rig for an upcoming trip. If it wasn't possible to reschedule the repack, then in that case you probably did need to clear out and let her work. Also, if you traveled a long distacne, and rescheduling was not possible due to that, again, you needed to leave and the repack needed to get done.

Overall, even though you needed to plan ahead, and you also need to put a limiter on your mouth if you talk as much as you type, it was probably poor form on her part not to work with you in some way. If the rig is already assembled, how about you send a friendly e-mail explaining that you didn't understand that you needed to plan ahead for a rigging lesson, and that you are still interested in learning. Maybe see if she can arrange for you to sit in on an upcoming repack of another V3, becasue they're pretty much all the same inside anyway.

After giving it some additional thought, if your current rigger is not willing work with you as far as sitting in on another V3 packjob, look for another rigger.

Ask around the DZ for some reccomendations, and then call one and explain that you are interested in learning about how your rig/reserve system works, but were unable to be present for the original pack job. See if they would welcome you to 'sit in' on a pack job and show you the inner workings. If they do, and that meeting goes well, I say you just met your new rigger.

Give your current girl a chance to keep your buisness, but if she's not interested in helping you out, you shouldn't be interested in bringing her your business.