shah269

Did i see this on a container?

I recall seeing someone use these to secure their riser flaps.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/770f/
What a great idea! :)
Is this soemthing your rigger can do or is it an OEM product?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

MAGNETIC RISER COVERS

:)
Introducing the latest and greatest from Relative Workshop – magnetic riser covers which have solved the problem of riser covers opening in freefall forever!! Not only does this feature provide added security in freefall, it also results in super clean openings as the tension on both riser covers is evenly distributed. An added benefit is that the riser covers close after deployment - our test jumpers really love this new design!! Please advise any customers with Pacemakers, Defibulators and Loop Devices that strong magnets are utilized in this design.
Price $50

Cool except no standing near the old people!
Very cool!

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

HAHA, i like the part about deland and someone testing it on a pacemaker. ***

you know it started with .... Hey!! hold my beer, watch this!! :D

Roy

Haha. Exactly! At least they didnt try it out AFTER the left the plane.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Last year when i was jumpig at deland i saw a sfew maybe 10 rigs with them. Everyone i asked seemed to either like them or hadnt really noticed a difference. Noone preferred flaps.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I have to admit it is a very smart idea! And looking at these magnets, I have a few in the office, it shouldn't be that hard to be able to update most systems

I have to admit it is a very smart idea! And looking at these magnets, I have a few in the office, it shouldn't be that hard to be able to update most systems

Why fixing something which is not broken:S
Oh,wait....fashion I know:)

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Well I wouldn't call it a "fix" I would call it an innovative use of technology.

Why fixing something which is not broken:S
Oh,wait....fashion I know:)

Blue skies

If you had packed as many Talon prototypes - with tuck tabs - as I have, you would understand how tight the tolerances are on tuck tabs.
Then - just when you think you have perfected a pattern - some field rigger redistributes canopy bulk (in a way never imagined by the designer in his worst drunken nightmare) and you are forced rework the tuck-tab pattern AGAIN to compensate for field riggers who are too lazy to read a manual!!!!!

Bototm line: production tolerances are (1/8 inch) tight on tuck-tabs, but much looser on magnets or Velcro.

how much longer before everyone is doing this?

Probably never. I have personally witnessed two different UPT rigs with magnetic riser covers have the toggles come out in a head down position. It's probably worthy to mention I've never seen it happen otherwise however in my limited experience this could just be a fluke.
One rig it happened 3 times within a few months of being new and required a cut away two times. He sent the rig back for "repairs" and is now testing. So far so good. The other rig is now being used for RW only. He too had to cut away the wrapped up toggle. The owner will not free fly with it. He happens to be the UPT dealer and DZO.
I have an Infinity that has not come open yet and neither has my VooDoo. I'm in the camp of "if it's not broken don't fix it".

I wonder if they cheaped out on the magnets?
I know the ones in my office are very strong. I would say they are as strong if not stronger than a velcro when hoding two piece of fabric together. And I know full well how much it hurts if you get any skin inbetween the two magnets. But that being said, we are talking about magnets and I have no idea what the QA is in assuring that each magnet has the same strength as the next.

Defibulators

That's right, folks; the website authors skipped the spell-checker for all the world to see.

Defibulators are a medical device used for fixing broken lower legs.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

how much longer before everyone is doing this?

Probably never. I have personally witnessed two different UPT rigs with magnetic riser covers have the toggles come out in a head down position. It's probably worthy to mention I've never seen it happen otherwise however in my limited experience this could just be a fluke.
One rig it happened 3 times within a few months of being new and required a cut away two times. He sent the rig back for "repairs" and is now testing. So far so good. The other rig is now being used for RW only. He too had to cut away the wrapped up toggle. The owner will not free fly with it. He happens to be the UPT dealer and DZO.
I have an Infinity that has not come open yet and neither has my VooDoo. I'm in the camp of "if it's not broken don't fix it".

How did the toggles get out?
I can understand that the risercovers open but the toggles should be much further down and tight squeezed in between the reserve and the sides of the rig.
Was the canopysizes in this rig correct?
Im not saying its impossible but it would perhaps be more likely to happen if you have smaler canopys than the rig is built for