Nordmann

Rig for beginners and "big" people :)

Hi people!
I have just gettin started in my skydiving career, and not even got the licence yet.
But now when theres -15 C with snow and wind, its not many jumps this part of year.

Back on topic, i have been searching around the web for good articles for beginners rigs and most of all rigs suited for big people, and with big i use myself as messure, im 190 cm and weigh about 100 kg.

And i found it a little bit difficult to find both good info and not least complete rigs to people at my size. So what im after, is generaly any input at all on beginners rigs for big people ;)

And sorry for the bad english :) :S

There really isn't any "beginner rig" out there unless you talking about student rigs, but those are not really meant for someone with a license and are normally bought by dropzones. It really just depends on how much money you have. Buying used is generally the cheapest way to go but it can be hard to find a rig that fits you and fits the size of canopies you want to put in it. Keep in mind you can have a the harness altered to fit you, make sure you factor in the alteration cost.

There are certain options that would not be considered good for beginners so make sure you consult your instructors before making any purchase. If you plan on buying new, it is a good idea to get with a rigger or instructor and go over all the different options and how they work. I don't know about you but I wanted to know everything I could about this life saving equipment. The more you know the safer you will be and you will be able to choose the right equipment for you.

i use myself as messure, im 190 cm and weigh about 100 kg.

6'3" and 220 lbs. in American scale. That's only a bit taller than usual, and for your height, that's not a lot of excessive weight. So you're "big", certainly, but it's not like you're a huge fat guy. Rig makers won't have any trouble at all building a rig for you. There are LOTS of 220 lb. skydivers out there, most of whom are more bigger around than they are tall.

i use myself as messure, im 190 cm and weigh about 100 kg.

6'3" and 220 lbs. in American scale. That's only a bit taller than usual, and for your height, that's not a lot of excessive weight. So you're "big", certainly, but it's not like you're a huge fat guy. Rig makers won't have any trouble at all building a rig for you. There are LOTS of 220 lb. skydivers out there, most of whom are more bigger around than they are tall.

yep, folks like me
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

thanks for the answers!
And thanks for the clearifictaion on the hight/weight.
It just seems that everyone at my DZ is so short or slim :-P
And when i have been on different manufactor websites, according to their forms i have to get a large canopi to get a wingload to 1:1...

I'm 5'9" (1.7526 Meters) and 254-lbs (115kg) out the door.

Recommendations:
not so much a specific rig, but a rig that fits you right. The harness should fit you properly (not out to the stops on the webbing, chest strap in the right place, laterals and bottom of the rig low enough on you, etc...). And the container should fit properly to the canopies that are correct for your weight and skill level. (remember - skill level NOW, not the skill level you will have later... buy the rig that will let you live long enough to gain the skills to want a different rig later...)

Having said that, as a bigger jumper you will also want to develop the skills to fly with all those "twiggy" people out there. IT CAN BE DONE!! B|

Lastly: Big should not mean out of shape. You've got more mass to land. If you're not in shape to tumble/PLF, run out the landing, etc... (i.e. if you're like me :ph34r:) now would be a good time to work on that too. This is a physical sport and you'll be better off if you are ready to take a bad dock or landing... because they will happen.

ENJOY!
JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Thank you so much for the input you have given me... I cant wait until the season starts again, a little nervous to do the first jump again, but now I already know what it feels like and what to do. But still i can already feel the butterflys in my stomach :P ;)