SkydiveNFlorida

Why don't you jump?

I see lots of people on this site who have very low jump #s that don't seem to get any larger. I am just curious as to why people don't jump? Did you make 2 skydives and manage to not get bitten by the bug? Did you get injured? Is your dz closed for winter? Is it financial?

Just curious as to why some people make a couple/few jumps, then seem to stop for such extended periods of time. Why don't you jump?

Angela.

Although my DZ is open (on weekends) during the winter - they don't do AFF until the spring. I started classes, but got booted on a technicality and had to find another DZ. Happy I was able to find one, but bummer that ithappened so late in the season here.

When spring comes - watch out!

Don't always take what you read on someones profile as truth about experience or jump numbers - I doubt everyone updates or wants to provide the info.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

Weather has got me grounded pretty much since I finished off AFF. Every weekend here in the midwest is either Rainy, Snowy, or too windy.

But Sunday i wont care what the temp is outside, im going skydiving!

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

I made one jump on Oct 5(AFF1 my first jump), twisted ankle. Did'nt make a jump until Nov 1st. Made 22 jumps in Nov before breaking my ankle on the 28th.

I plan to spend some tunnel time before getting back to jumping again. I should be ready for the tunnel mid Feb and be able to jump in March.

I just received my Mirage G4 today :)

torn shoulder, operated on Dec.11, presently in pain.[:/]
Can't drive car or I'd be jumping my brand new gear;)
p.s. windchill is below 0 here.:|
(I have to move...move...move...)

If I could, I would. Scrappy weather for the last few weekends of the year and then my schedule switched so now I'm working weekends, every weekend, and my "home" DZ is only open on weekends. Jump #51 was the last one I made, first weekend of the year, and my last weekend off. Clear skies but super cold. -20 C when we got out at 8.5k. Cold as can be, but worth it.
Tempted to cut away my crappy job, and have an endless summer till the credit cards say NO!

for me, it's threefold..

A) I'm unemployed
b) for the last year, I've pretty much had my kids 24/7. I have a rule to not take them to the DZ except for special occasions.

Thankfully, they're going to be seeing their mom every other weekend now so I'll have some time to do my own thing. I also have one job offer (who's lowballing me) but am hoping for another offer on Tuesday....
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Me, its a major money thing. I went through aff about 3 years ago and been struggling ever since. I do the school thing and thats almost done so....
I also spent some time grounded with an injury, broken leg from low turn.
Things are lookin up though, did 4 out of Mullins beast saturday. The gear rental is the killer right now.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

For me it's primarily financial.

Except, for the last 6 months, it's also been combined with significant health stuff. And, right this moment, I have a headcold...so no jumpie for me, even though I had planned on it this weekend.

Oh well.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

The gear rental is the killer right now

hell yeah it'll get ya!! paying $50 a jump is definitely better than the $100 plus for AFF. Once I finally got my own rig, my jump #'s doubled
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I've been on an extended break for awhile now and dont see myself returning to the sport in the near future.I have the same reasons everyone else does. On one of my last jumps I injured my knee and like a dumbass jumped on it anyway which worsened the injury.I've had a few other setbacks with training,DZ politics,gear, and a big factor is money.I'm a broke, unemployed college student and no longer have the money to keep up in the sport. There are other reasons but those are the primary ones.

Now the question is why do I hang around a skydiving website like a loser groupie since I dont jump.Why? B/c I have friends here and enjoy the community.I dont post in the skydiving related forums b/c since I'm not jumping I dont feel I have anything worth contributing and dont have the experience, skill, or knowledge to feel comfortable in giving advice in those forums.

Ok theres my $.02:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

as for your jumping...there's always the future.
As far as being in the SKYDIVE community, you can choose be stay for life.
p.s. you are the only one I made the effort to call at Rantoul 2003 and 10 of my local DZ friends were there. Did you see the "Rocky's Place" trailer?(next to PD demos) Thats are's & where I sleep.;)

for the last year, I've pretty much had my kids 24/7. I have a rule to not take them to the DZ except for special occasions

dad getting to jump IS a special occasion!!! Take THEM.....Unless of course, they are too little to stay out of the way and just watch while you jump....

good luck going every other weekend and good luck with the job search !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

b) for the last year, I've pretty much had my kids 24/7. I have a rule to not take them to the DZ except for special occasions.

We take our three children almost every single weekend (tomorrow is a special occasion, so they are NOT coming with us)..
they love being at the DZ...and we love having them there. :)

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

for the last year, I've pretty much had my kids 24/7. I have a rule to not take them to the DZ except for special occasions.

Now that's being a good dad. Most kids either get bored or in the way at the DZ if they are there all day. I've been in this sport for over 25 years, and have seen kids come and go at DZs and having two, I know what I'm talking about. DZs unless they have a set day care area set up for kids, isn't a safe place for young kids. I admit, I took my kids to the DZ and my husband and I would take turns watching them while jumping. We had two rules, we never got on the same aircraft, and we never stayed the whole day at the DZ. We always left by noon and stopped at McDonalds and then to the park.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but after I saw two people comment about taking them, I felt I need to "jump" in with my 2 cents.
On with your regular program :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I broke my foot back in september mid-aff...i didn't do it jumping, i did it running (Stupid long story) So that stopped me for quite awhile.

Last weekend my doctor told me it finally looks as if my foot is completely healed and i can jump again!! Too bad i live in NY where its FREEZING. So, i will be waiting until this spring when it warms up again

*daizey*

I'm with Mary and Gary, I never take my kids either. They complain about being bored! Plus, I don't want to have to worry about what they're getting into or misbehaving while I'm on the plane. The dz is my place to relax and take care of me for a few hours. I can't completely relax with the kids around. Also, I was injured once and was always so thankful that they didn't have to see their mom carted off in an ambulance and I'm glad I didn't have to put people in the position of taking care of my kids in that kind of situation.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm still jumping and going tomorrow!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Money is a huge issue. I havent jumped since september last year. The dz I go to is four hours drive away. And I am jittery to jump at another dz that's closer. I'm so close to getting my A, I should just bite the bullet and rob a bank:D

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

I can't wait to heal up
*Flyangel2(Mom) >>good policy.;)
My 1st wife was watching load to finish AFF in 1992 and my Tasmainia baby girl of 3, climbed up the C-182 step to my lap. it was years before she came back to any DZ and now she is bugging to jump.

If I had a sugar moma...I be in the thousands of jumps......but...I dont :(...so cash and weather are a major factor in my jump #'s...along with some jitters that have finally gone away...

My goal for 04...finish my A......getting my B is possible...so It will happen....off season..hopefully a few courses.........maybe for 05...be a coach/instructor...dare to dream..

Why don't you jump?.......well right now its -25 deg C here...if you jump here...well hell I will too ;)

True that Kai man....

I haven't jumped in a month, bout to go "uncurrent" if thats a fucking word.

I jumped 20 times between OCT/NOV and havent went since, like Kai said, weather has been brutal here in the midwest. Mainly the fucking WIND

Cold doesn't bother me a bit, but I won't jump when the wind is marginal.

You wont see my chute collapsing 30 feet out, cuz I won't jump in that crap. TURBULENCE BITES!

peace

jjf

goin for the a, b by June, fucking weather better get on board soon!!!
It's a gas, gas, gas...