skydivegirl

Marathon training tips???

I'm training to run my 1st half-marathon in mid-March :)
My average run is about 4 to 4.5 miles... but now that I'm training that's about to change. Are there any runners out there? Does anybody have any tips or experiences they could share? I'm trying to pysch myself up & make those 'are you crazy?!' voices go away ;).
Pink Mafia Sis #26

Did a half marathon out in Banja Luka. Great fun. Did no special prep for it. The first 4 miles hurt but keep going, once that wears off do not speed up too much as the last 3 really hurt. Just keep going and focus on the person in front. If they can keep going then so can you. You are better than them so ovretake them!

You'll love it.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

I'm running one in May. I'm not really going to start training till the last couple weeks. I'm in good enough shape that I could probably run it now, it'd just hurt really bad. So the last 4-5 weeks, I'm just gonna go out for a few miles a day, and maybe 10 or so miles on Saturdays, and I'm hopin I'll be good to go.

Good luck on yours...just keep running.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Try and keep the running fun. Alternate some swimming in if the runs get tedious, swimming is also good if you pick up a slight injury or twinge. Vary your training routes and focus on being comfortable with your pacing. Not all the miles have to be the same pace.
If you haven't tried to take on water as you run now is a good time to learn (bottles are easier than cups) but don't drink too much at a time.

David

V. quick tip (I'm working on the others - honest):

DO HILLS!!!! Even if your route is going to be a flat one, having that extra reserve of power is always useful, even if it's just beating someone else to your chosen toilet/secluded tree!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

V. quick tip (I'm working on the others - honest):

DO HILLS!!!! Even if your route is going to be a flat one, having that extra reserve of power is always useful, even if it's just beating someone else to your chosen toilet/secluded tree!

Ah crap! I hate hills... LOL

Thanks for your replies so far everybody!! :x
Pink Mafia Sis #26

Hills are very good for stamina.
When's the race? There are a couple of things to avoid running with that big a group of people. Stay away from the roadside at the early stages as you won't see far ahead and can easily bust an ankle on a drain or run into a parked car. Also be prepared to pick your feet up and change pace as it can be hard to get into a rhythm with people cutting in front of you. Be careful of following the herd, as you may find yourself running into the restroom of a park or into the path of oncoming traffic.

Be careful at water stops as well as they can get crowded, it's usually easier to get water at the end tables than the front ones.

David

Interesting tips! I wouldn't have even thought of those. The race is March 13th so I still have a some good training time left.

All I know is I can run 4 miles fairly easily with a few hills here and there but nothing major. I have yet to see how I'm going to do when the runs get longer... and more hilly :S:)
Pink Mafia Sis #26

I think he's got a point. Do some kind of interval training so you end up conditioning your anaerobic response, as well. Once you start picking up the distances, you will be relying more on aerobic burning. Running hills, or running a 400 meters per mile at a sprint will help with that (just jog the other 3/4 or a mile)

And, get good shoes. SHin slints make for bad marathoning.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

1) Make sure you have the right shoes. You can educate yourself here: Shoes 101

2) Train for it. You will increase your likelihood for success in finishing the race and decrease the likelihood of injury. Here is a great Half-Marathon training plan: Training Plan

3) Experiment during your training with hydration, energy gels, clothing layers, etc. So you know what works. Don't try anything new on race day.

Good luck!
Arrive Safely

John

Ah crap! I hate hills... LOL

Well, let's see, there is a little bit to this although a half-marathon really isn't that bad if you are in any kind of shape right now. I have run five marathons, several half-marathons and a couple of ironman races. The key is to have fun, if it becomes work, no matter how hard you train, it may become ineffective.

First and foremost, don't start running too far, too fast. One should only be increasing your weekly average by about ten, maybe fifteen percent every week.

Second, you need to do a long run every week. Doing a half-marathon, you should problably be working your way up to 10 or 11 mile runs on these. I always like to do my long run at the same day and time of the week that the race is. Also the long run should be at a nice comfortable pace, so that you are still able to talk while running, no faster. You should also either take the next day off or only do a short maybe twenty or thirty minute run.

Third, hills are definitely optional, but do build speed and strength. Only do hills maybe once a week, followed by a day off.

Well, that is about it. You might want to go on to the Runner's World web site, they always have lots of good info.

Good Luck!!
blue skies,

art

Tips for race day....

Drink enough water before the run. Enough, don't over do it!

Pace yourself. You're 13.1 miles away from the finish line.

Don't wear new shoes. Use ones that you've tamed down.

Coolmax/climacool clothing. They help keep the moisture out.

Nipple guards. Seriously. Don't ask, just make sure you use them for the run.

If you usually get blisters on your toes, put vaseline between your toes before the race. It'll be yucky at first, but you'll get used to it.

Can't think of anything else for now. Besides, 1/2 a marathon isn't that bad. These tips are for marathons, but I'm sure they'll come in handy too.

~Chivo

A half marathon is soooooo perfect! You can run it slow but you still feel so good when you're done. You'll be surprised. You can keep running 5 miles a day and just pick a long day one day a week. As you get closer you can do 2 days or whatever your schedule permits.

Check out Women's Running for some cool training plans. I have one that PDKolla sent me but it's for a full marathon. PM me if you want me to send it!

Good luck!
Katie

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Excellent point about the shoes.
If you do go and buy shoes a running store can make the world of difference. If possible take your old shoes to them when buying new ones and they should be able to advise you on support by looking at the wear pattern.

David

well, I ran a mountain half marathon once, when I was in Markonic Grad. The thing that helped me the most (other than being in decent shape..) was this piece of advise:

It's not about who runs the fastest, but about who slows down the least.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I have run five marathons, several half-marathons and a couple of ironman races...

By-the-way, that is so impressive! :o
Just thought I'd mention that...

My next door neighbor (where I grew up in Atlanta) did twelve marathons last year. That's right... one every month!! I would think that would actually be bad for your body but hey.. she did it.
Pink Mafia Sis #26

Seems like there area lot of good tips here already...

Just to add my .02

My wife who is in her late 40's
decided last year to try running.

She had never run more than 2-3 miles at a time prior,
but when she puts her mind to something...:o

Her score for 2003 was
Six full marathons, Four 1/2 marathons, Six 10K's....

The woman now has legs of steel! :ph34r:

Quickly, a few things I observed throughout the year...

Shoes...
as mentioned above, VERY important!
Try a lot of different brands and types to find one
that's comfortable and fit the style of running YOU do...
and realize that your 120.00 running shoes WILL wear out...
don't keep wearing them for training if they don't
'feel' as they did the first couple weeks...
injury to your feet slows training.

Intervals...
She found a marathon group here in Houston
that trains together.
About 20 people in her 'time' class,
that meet 3 times a week...they share training strategy
and tips...
and the 'commitment' to the group encourages
training even when feeling less than motivated to
run that day. [:/]
Check for something similar in your area.

Intake...
Try lots of things to see what you like best,
she found 'Power Gels' by Powerbar,
seemed to give her the best mid-run boost...
carries 4-5 with her on each marathon.

Know the Course!
Again, this was mentioned about...
and believe me it's imperative.
One marathon, Orcas Island...in Washington she arrived
to find that 1/2 the run was on gravel roads!
UPHILL!!
L.A. was HOT and HUMID...
And the Anchorage Alaska run was flat, cool, and scenic...
until the last 2 miles which were up a 20% grade!
She'd run her self out by that point and could barely
WALK the hills!

And the most IMPORTANT PART!
To be there to assist...Have someone like ME!!! ;)

You'll need some help with general logistics at the
beginning of a marathon, to be able to focus on the run...
everything from help pining on the number to holding
extra water and 'warm-up' clothing prior to the start...
an additional set of hands is a must!

Good Luck!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hills are very good for stamina.
When's the race? There are a couple of things to avoid running with that big a group of people. Stay away from the roadside at the early stages as you won't see far ahead and can easily bust an ankle on a drain or run into a parked car.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reminds me of the time I almost stepped on a skunk while running after dark.
Not sure who was more surprised: me or the skunk!
Fortunately I could run faster than he could spray!