rhys

Recon-Zeal Transcend - GPS goggles!

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? If you'll recall, we heard that Recon Instruments was fixing to up-end the winter sports goggle market in February of this year, with an optimistic-at-the-time ship date of October 2010. Lo and behold, the outfit has managed to nail its estimate, and the planet's first GPS-enabled goggles are now available to highfalutin' skiers and snowboarders. At least initially, the company will be rolling out a limited set, with two models to choose from: the $499 Transcend SPPX is fitted with an SPPX polarized and photochromic lens, while the $399 Transcend SPX features an SPX polarized lens. Aside from the fact that these probably cost less than those ho hum Oakleys in the ski shop, they're equipped with a Zeal Optics' frame design with a micro LCD display, which appears to hang approximately six feet in front of the user. That head-mounted display provides real-time feedback to the wearer, including speed, latitude / longitude, altitude, vertical distance traveled, total distance traveled, a chrono / stopwatch mode, a run-counter, temperature and time.

I know there is a thread about these somewhere, but a search failed to find it...

I remember some saying these will not be ready when October comes around and it seems that they were indeed ready and have already sold out until January...

These should revolutionise wingsuiting, tracking, and many other disciplines.

They are certainly on my wish list...

If anybody has havd the luxury of wearing some of these, I would really appreciate the feedback you might have... I'm sure in time they will be commonplace in skydiving.

https://www.zealoptics.com/transcend/
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Some stuff I found on their website and did not like:

How fast can the Transcend go?
The Transcend is currently able to display speeds up to 150kmh or about 92mph, however, if there is a demand for higher speeds the software can be adjusted and the limit raised. Be very careful if you are skiing at 92 MPH!!!

No good for skydiving (except swooping maybe).

What is your return policy?
The Transcend GPS may be returned for credit WITHIN 15 DAYS OF PURCHASE if unused in new condition in original packaging.

No way to test them before committing.

No mention of data acquisition/display frequency...

I'm hoping Jeb can say something good about them because they seem like a really nice toy.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

No good for skydiving (except swooping maybe)

wingsuiting would have speeds less than that too would it not?

I would bet the speed limit (lol) will be raised sooner than later.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Well it says "speed", not "vertical speed". Wingsuits go fast (except when f1.0cking :)), or at least faster that 150 km/h.

My worry is that speed limit is not just software based, but connected with the rate of data acquisition/processing. If you only measure 1 point every few seconds (maybe because of batteries, too low processing power, dunno) you really can't get proper speed reading. You get some sort of average speed for sampling period or two.

I really hope Jeb will say it works great for BASE wingsuiting because then this baby will be mine, but until then I'll keep my hands of of it.

I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Fair call,

I will get some as soon as I know they are suitable too.

I also snowboard so It wouldn't be a complete loss.

They were kinda hoping samsung would pimp their transparent OLEDs to a level usable for goggles but it never happened. Then they just copy/pasted Oceanics data mask (minus the seal and pressure sensor) and now its HMD instead of HUD. Still a nice toy :)

Reminds me of swimming. Stopped wearing goggles after I ended up swimming a 200 IM with goggles in my mouth for a longer than comfortable portion of it.

Were those guys all testers? Seemed like some of them were futzing with the goggles quite a bit in freefall. Wondering if it was fit issues or actually messing with the display.