wingit

Whats the difference?

In the 7 cell range I was thinking a troll or a flik ultra light, as for the 9 cell I really have no idea on type... as a general rule of thumb do 7 cell chutes have less of a pengelum effect on turning than a 9 cell?

Cheers for any info! Sorry im new to this! Best thing ive ever done though!!!!

steve

In the 7 cell range I was thinking a troll or a flik ultra light

Is there a particular reason you are looking at BASE canopies? They're very different to skydiving canopies, with good reason.

Unless you're specifically jumping them to prepare for BASE, you'll get much better results with canopies made for skydiving.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

In the 7 cell range I was thinking a troll or a flik ultra light

Those canopies aren't designed for skydiving, they're designed for BASE.

Something more appropriate for a novice jumper who want's a 7 cell would be a Spectre, Triathlon, or Storm. Try to actually fly a couple of 7 and 9 cell canopies before you buy something, if you can.
Owned by Remi #?

I am wanting to get into BASE, I realize I have to do AT LEAST 200 skydives before I can attempt a BASE jump, but in doing so I would like to get the gear that I will be using for BASE so I know exactly how to use it and how it handles when the time comes. That way I can change the slider (eventually) to large mesh for hop n pops to get used to a non terminal opening with aka 4-5 sec delays to get used to the harshness of it, then to a small mesh slider for terminal openings (all in good time though!). Obviously Ill be getting a skydiving container to learn from though so there will some variants but mainly canopy control (rear risers etc...) and openings is what im trying to work out...

Thanks heaps for any info!

Cheers

steve

What is the difference between a BASE canopy and a skydiving canopy??

Cheers

Steve

One is designed for BASE and the other for Skydiving.

It's kinda like asking what's the difference between a bowling ball and a golf ball. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes you can use a BASE canopy for skydiving, but i would think you get a very bad habbit if you do so.
In BASE, it has to work.
In skydiving, its more of a "good enough mentality".

Also skydiving a BASE canopy for 200+ jumps will put wear on it that you might not want when you are going to start BASE.

but in doing so I would like to get the gear that I will be using for BASE so I know exactly how to use it and how it handles when the time comes.

Putting square pegs in round holes is a bad idea. Canopies are life saving equipment and when you're learning, you need to learn with the proper tools.

Buy a large, used skydiving canopy and learn to skydive on skydiving gear. If you still only want to have one canopy when you're ready to start practicing for BASE, you can always sell that, probably with little or no loss as long as you keep it in good condition, and buy a BASE canopy.

Find someone to mentor you into BASE. They'll probably be willing to share gear for a few jumps. Go take a course that provides gear. Learn what skydiving gear is best for you from skydivers you trust and learn what BASE gear is good for you from BASE jumper you trust.
Owned by Remi #?

About the base jumping, do what base283 said - put base on the back burner for now, do some skydiving, learn more by doing some skydiving, come back to base later.
On the 7-cell vs. 9-cell, you might as well ask the difference between a 6-cylinder vs. an 8-cylinder engine. Are you talking about the 8-cylinder engine in my truck vs. the 6-cylinder in a Porsche, or are you talking about the 8-cylinder engine in a Corvette vs. the 6-cylinder in a Buick. Canopies on the market today are made with a great variety of designs and cannot be characterised just by the number of cells. To start with, look on manufacturer's web sites and read about individual canopies. Ask around the dropzone. Pull out a Paragear or other catalog and read some more. Get some jumps on different canopies. After a while, these issues will be much clearer and Base283 will be satisfied that you've done your homework.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

You have not done your homework. You fail. Try again at a later date.
Trust what I said.
Take care,
space

It would appear as though he is *trying* to do his homework by asking questions here to gain more knowledge. You have done nothing to further his education on this matter. You just show your arrogance and over inflated ego.

Trust what I said.

The difference (that matters to you for B.A.S.E. purposes) between seven cell and nine cell canopies is, not so much the number of cells, but aspect ratio. Aspect ratio is a mathematical reference denoting a canopy's chord (its width - leading edge to trailing edge) in relation to span (its length - end cell to end cell.)

To put it simpler low aspect ratio canopies are more boxy looking than high aspect ratio canopies. And boxy is better for B.A.S.E. jumping. It's better because when you only have one canopy a low aspect ratio canopy (properly sized for you) will allow you to survive the malfunctions you'd cutaway from while skydiving. Things like broken lines, blown seams, and lines twists get tougher to handle as the aspect ratio goes up.

Some very experienced B.A.S.E. jumpers (or they should be very experienced) are now beginning to use smaller slightly higher higher AR canopies as inevitably swoop landings are trickling into B.A.S.E. jumping. And I'm not sure if that's old time B.A.S.E. jumpers going to the next level or newer B.A.S.E. jumpers bringing their skydiving ways to the wrong sport, LOL!

The bottom line is when you cream in (and you will during your B.A.S.E. career) you want a big low aspect ratio wing over your head.

NickD :)BASE 194

Good answers! Finally! In Aus I like the fact that I could go for a 4x4 to the blue mountains, camping, hardcoreish offroading then jump off some of the cliffs, this would be an unreal weekend/s away! The mountains are around 4hrs away, im a 4x4er so love getting out into the wilderness so travel doesn't phase me. There's bridges and buildings that I can jump from at night closer if I want, but I think I might need more practice before doing that...

Im thinking of purchusing a block (250 jumps) to get my jumps/skills up once ive completed my AFF... I am trying to keep costs down by buying my B.A.S.E. rig first and use the canopy in a secondhand skydiving contain with whatever reserve, So I know exactly how my B.A.S.E. canopy handles in any situation before using it for what its made for...

I will have to buy a few different containers as I eventually want to get into a wingsuit for skydiving and B.A.S.E. but my first B.A.S.E. rig should be velcro rather than pins which is highly NOT recommended for a wingsuit.

As im sure all of you were when you started out, I just want to do all of it yesterday, but im sadly realizing that there a rule's to B.A.S.E. that i never thought were there (but there for good reason). I just hope we have blue sky's Christmas day so I can get that bit closer to my dream! Do you think they'll let an AFF student to jump in a santa suit???

Thanks again for all the info (worthless or not)

Cheers

Steve

I dont like the fact that you are talking about cost and not safety.
As i read your post it looks like you are more concerned about the cost than safety.
I understand that money is an issue, but try to think of time instead of money.
If you spend more time in the sport you will learn more and the cost will be spread out over a longer time.

But if money is that much of an issue, maybe a BASER rig is something for you?
Its a BASEcontainer with a bellymount reserve.
I have no expirience of the BASER, and my first thought is that its not a good idea for a beginner.
And as i stated previously, i dont like the idea of skydiving a BASEcanopy more than whats necessary.

But, your shit, your problem.

Its slightly to do with cost but mainly safety aka getting used to the canopy that i will throw my self off cliffs with... but with the help of my homework, ive decided to go down the path of getting a second hand complete skydiving rig and jump that (skydiving) till it either needs upgrading or till I get to the 200 jumps. Then ill try and borrow a beginners wingsuit, so then I can buy a ghost 2 and get used to flying that. By then I will hopefully have the sufficient knowledge, understanding and experience needed to buy a wingsuit BASE rig and a Velcro BASE rig.

I was being a bit gun ho earlier. Wingsuit BASE is just the ultimate freedom! I want to be able to do it 1000's of times rather than just once! So through all of your advice and help ill do it the right way.
Thanks heaps again!

Cheers

Steve

PS. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

One thing totally neglected is the base canopy doesnt have a TSO while the skydiving canopy does. BFD unless your the pilot and something happens his ass is grass and FAA is the lawn mower with brand new blades. Oh its cool to pull off stuff and not tell the poor pilot until something goes wrong. Then its your butt if the word gets out . Its hard to jump if no one will fly you.