Dang12457

9 cell eliptical for first canopy?

I'm looking at putting together my first rig and found a canopy that is the size that was suggested at my DZ. They recommended a Spectre if I could find it, the one I'm looking at is a 9 cell eliptical. Is the flight dynamic of the eliptical that different that I should hold off and buy the spedific one recommended?

I'm 10 jumps away from my "A" and figure to use a rental until I finish before transitioning. I've got snow on the ground, so I've got time to work this out.

Thanks

the one I'm looking at is a 9 cell eliptica

"Eliptical" is nothing more than marketing speak in skydiving.

What model are you looking at? Even the Sabre 2 and the Safire are not "pure rectangular" wings either, and they can be fine under the right wing load as a 1st canopy. Heck, the Spectre isn't purely rectangular either.

Don't buy something "you can grow into" or "work it out". If, you have time to work anything out, wait to find the right canopy for you.
Remster

Could you provide more information about this 9 cell elliptical? Like who makes and what model. Eliptical canopies are not even considered for your skill level, but you might be talking about a Sabre 2 which is semi eliptical and at the right wing loading would be appropriate.

Ignore the earlier sarcastic comment.

"Elliptical" doesn't really mean much. Don't buy anything without speaking about it with someone you trust, like an instructor. Show them the exact ad you're looking at. There are a lot of scams and completely crappy gear for sale out there, and you might not recognize it yet.

Edit: I got my license at the same DZ... lots of great instructors there to talk to!

Dave

It's a Fusion. Precision Aerodynamics is the mfr. I wouldn't pull the trigger until I had a live conversation with someone at my DZ, but like I said,snow on the ground... so not really expecting a quick reply.

The wingloading would be 1:1.

A fusion is comparable to a sabre 2. It can make a good intermediate canopy, but it's a bit more high performance than most (it's more HP than a spectre for sure).
Wingloading isn't everything: if the canopy is 190 sqft it's a much better idea than if it's 150 sqft (smaller is a BAD idea in any case). Also, what have you been jumping up to now is very important. Ask your own instructor if he thinks it's a good canopy for you.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It's a 210. I started in a 260 for my first 9 or 10 jumps and the last 5 went down to a 210 on their recommendation. Only got 1 jump on the 210 before the season ended.

I figure when it starts back up in the spring, I'd step back to a 230 for a few jumps while finishing my 'A'.

Based on the input from my DZ, a 210 is the way to go... but now that I'm starting to really start looking, a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

Thanks for all the feedback! It's all very helpful.

To help you choose, some good intermediate canopies are: pilot, fusion, triathlon, spectre, storm, pulse, silhouette, sabre 2, sabre 1 (older design, should be cheap, will open harder usually than the others), safire 1 or 2 (take note that a safire 1 is 1 size smaller than advertised).

Tip for browsing the classifieds: people can't spell so don't forget to look for triathalons, specters, sabers, saphires. And whatever alternative spelling you can come up with for silhouette :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Tip for browsing the classifieds: people can't spell so don't forget to look for triathalons, specters, sabers, saphires. And whatever alternative spelling you can come up with for silhouette :P

Haha. Too true.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

A lot of the choices are appropriate for new A license jumpers. Some are more docile than others, but if you are wise enough to keep a low wingload and you stick to the 210 size, then there are a lot of choices available that would be right for you as a novice.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Sundevil- are you saying that the ones that dragon mentioned would serve well provided I managed the wingloading and respected the performance differences? Just that you referred to "novice canopies" and dragon referred to the ones mentioned as "intermediate."

Yes, don't get hung up on the use of the terms novice vs intermediate.

I don't think there are any canopies made in the 210 size that would be inappropriate for a new A licensee. Some are more docile than others, but the truly aggressive models just aren't made in that size (that big). Still, just remember advice is worth what you pay for it.:D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks for confirming. That's really what I was thinking. A 210 is still a really big canopy no matter how you look at it. But I'm definitely not going smaller for a long time. That's kind of why I was leaning towards a 9 cell and fly it conservatively as I gain more experience with it. I just wanted to get as much opinion on that before I opened the wallet. For as little self control as I have in many aspects of my life, I can reel it in for 1500 feet so I have many happy landings.

Besides, I'm sure it's going to take me a long time to find a container that fits me and the chute thats in my target price range too.

Thanks!

Oh, a diablo comes to mind :S

And you wouldn't necessarily want some of the bigger canopies I see for sale, because they're student canopies, F111 canopies, CRW or accuracy canopies and what not. Well maybe you might buy a F111 or other student type canopy, but only if you really had to, money-wise.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks for the extra info dragon. While I'm definitely budget conscious, I'd much rather buy the right one first and do it right the first time even if it costs me a little more up front. I (over)analyze big purchases. But then again, it's what I do for a living, so I can't help it. Add to that the fact that my life could depend on this one.

I toyed with the idea of looking for a 230 or a student, but figured I'd be better off sticking with the rental at the DZ until I was ready to go all in with a 210.

Thanks!

Oh, a diablo comes to mind :S

And you wouldn't necessarily want some of the bigger canopies I see for sale, because they're student canopies, F111 canopies, CRW or accuracy canopies and what not. Well maybe you might buy a F111 or other student type canopy, but only if you really had to, money-wise.

Quite right, thanks for the extra advice to him, as there are other reasons why a choice can be inappropriate besides being a swoop type canopy, and some more aggressive types are in fact made at that size. The list you gave was pretty comprehensive.

Seriously... I can't thank you guys enough for all your feedback. It has been extremely helpful.

While I've got you engaged, can I ask your suggestion on containers? For a used canopy, I've been able to find enough info on age limits and wear being basically a life expectancy of 1200 jumps and re-lines at 400+/- (subjective of course). But this helped me get dialed in for a target range and price. But what about containers? I'd like to find a container/reserve combo for $1000-$1500, preferably closer to $1000. Any advice you can throw my way to help me start getting it dialed in?

Hmm i'd say life expectancy can be (much) higher, provided the canopy is not F111, and has been taken care of (jumping in the desert will trash a canopy much sooner).

A reline is more in the ballpark of 600-700 jumps, for microline.

About rigs, if you don't feel the need to freefly you should have some choice even with a low budget. Older vector 2s for instance.

Whatever rig you're interesting in, best run it by your local rigger first.

For a reserve, do not go higher than a wingload of 1:1, a bit lower = better.

Don't forget about the AAD.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

When you say "older" would a rig made in 1999 with 1200 jumps on it be getting past it's usable life? (just a random example). If a rig has been in someones closet for 12 years, is that something I should be concerned about?

I'd like to freefly eventually and have it AAD compatible. But the freefly thing is a "nice to have" not a necessity.

I don't need it to be pretty, I just don't want to have it on my back on its last jump. I'd like it to comfortably have 400 jumps remaining on its life.

And I figured I'd put the same size reserve in it. But if I did as you suggest and put a 230 reserve with a 210 main... I suspect that will be hard to find. Which is fine. I plan on building this slowly, one thing at a time, and when I've got my 2 chutes and container, then add the AAD.

When you say "older" would a rig made in 1999 with 1200 jumps on it be getting past it's usable life?

I sure hope not. That describes my rig pretty closely :ph34r:.

That said, you'd want to have it inspected. Even if it were almost new, you'd want to have it inspected.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)