Dang12457

9 cell eliptical for first canopy?

Thanks Wendy. Good to know.

And i'm definitely going to have everything inspected. Gonna channel everything through my DZ one way or another.

Hey, Dan -

Now that we're talking about rigs, we're getting into the opinion section. Some people will tell you 'Don't get X rig - it's a deathtrap!!' or "Y is the 'Cadillac of rigs'." Truth is, all of the rigs on the market today are more or less safe, and have stood the test of time. Some have more bells & whistles than others, but for belly-flying, you have lots of options.

(In other words, don't let the brand loyalty thing influence your decision too much. The word 'best' is subjective. Lots of good stuff out there).

Personally, I would recommend going ahead and getting a freefly-friendly rig, if you can find it in your price range. I've done mostly belly and wingsuit jumps, but have been freeflying for about 50 of them, and found myself thankful to have the option. Lately I've seen too many people trying to learn to sitfly with rigs that don't have adequate bridle protection, and it scares me.

That being said, here's a few rigs that are freefly-friendly and would work fine, if you can find one that meets your needs:

- Mirage G3/G4
- Vector 3
- Javelin
- Wings
- Aerodyne Icon
- Infinity
- Talon 2/Talon FS/Talon FX
- Voodoo

This is not an exhaustive list - just the ones I like in particular. (& if you're really dedicated to sticking on your belly for a while, you'll be fine with a V2 or some other slightly-older rig. I just found that it makes sense to have the option.)

Best bet, as recommended here, is to talk to your instructors, or the rigger at the DZ. Even if it's winter, call them up & see if they'll meet you for a beer and discuss it. Better to speak with someone who knows you and who can answer any questions up front than us yahoo's on the internet. ;) If you can get their number and email so you can shoot them a link to a rig you find interesting, that would be ideal.
Signatures are the new black.

" ...Hey, Dan - ... That being said, here's a few rigs that are freefly-friendly and would work fine, if you can find one that meets your needs:

-
-
-
-
-
-
- Talon 2/Talon FS/Talon FX
- Voodoo

"

Sorry, but they do not make Voodoos big enough for 210 square foot canopies.
If the junior jumper wants an R.I. product, he would be much more comfortable with one of the Talons.

"...

Hey, Dan -

Now that we're talking about rigs, we're getting into the opinion section. Some people will tell you 'Don't get X rig - it's a deathtrap!!' or "Y is the 'Cadillac of rigs'." Truth is, all of the rigs on the market today are more or less safe, and have stood the test of time. Some have more bells & whistles than others, but for belly-flying, you have lots of options.

(In other words, don't let the brand loyalty thing influence your decision too much. The word 'best' is subjective. Lots of good stuff out there)..."

I still encourage who to consult your local rigger before buying.
With the huge variety of gear, it is almost impossible for a rigger to stay current on every type of container.
Wiser riggers admit which rigs they are better at packing. For example, I remember one rigger telling his girl friend: "If you buy a brand "R" container, you will have to ship it out of the province to get it repacked."

The other issue is, if you need spare parts, they will arrive quicker if you buy a container that is popular at your home DZ.

It's a Fusion... The wingloading would be 1:1.

This is coming from a fellow newbie, so keep that in mind. While I was finishing up my A license and searching for gear of my own, I put about 10-15 jumps on a Fusion 190 rental (loaded at about 0.90), before finding and buying a Spectre 170 for my own gear.

I thought the Fusion was fun to fly -- it's a bit more quick and responsive than the Spectre, to be sure, but at my jump numbers, I'm not doing anything terribly radical to experience the full performance envelope of either of those canopies. Both have been fun, and both have much more to teach me.

My one caution about the Fusion: several other students who jumped it reported squirrely openings (bumpy openings into diving turns, etc) and didn't like to take it up. I never experienced that and loved to jump the canopy, but just be aware that I was in the minority of low-time jumpers who had consistently smooth openings.

Many of the more experienced jumpers and instructors at the DZ attributed those squirrely openings to likely asymmetrical body position on opening and to the nature of semi-elliptical canopy openings. I'm sure some of the more experienced jumpers here could explain in more detail the why's and how's of that if you're curious.

It seems like you are trying to save a few bucks. I would seriously consider buying a well used canopy (possibly f111, but if you go this route, make sure it is almost new), a used reserve, and a not-so freefly friendly rig (dolphin, older vector, etc etc). Take the money you saved and buy a bunch of jumps, and once you are a bit more experienced, you can decide if you would rather put your money into a newer canopy (possibly downsizing, you may very well be ready to go down a size from 1:1 after 100-200 jumps) or into a newer freefly friendly rig. Or maybe both at the same time. Frankly, you won't really know what you wanna do/buy until a bit later, there is no point to spending a bunch of funds on something when you might not need it (you love belly flying and never need the $3k super duper rig on your back) or you end up wanting to downsize quicker than you think, and you take a huge hit selling your bought-new canopy.
Good luck finding your gear! I had lots of fun buying all of my stuff, and got really drunk the day I had my rig completely assembled sitting in my living room B|

Might be kinda funny though, an A-license holder showing up with a lightning 218

Kinda like how we laughed at the guy who got a Prodigy for his first main. B|:D

To the OP - you're going about it the right way. Don't be afraid to piece together a rig - you may find a container that will fit you and your canopies from one person, a reserve from another, a main from another...

If you can't find a complete used rig that will work for you, focus on getting container/reserve/AAD first, then the main. You can get demo mains from many manufacturers and fly them for a few weeks for a small charge. You many also be able to borrow mains from other jumpers. That's also the best way to decide which main you prefer before you buy.

Don't limit your search to the classifieds here. Call or email every gear dealer out there; one of them may have exactly what you want and some of them can provide excellent information and guidance on gear selection. And be sure that folks at your home dz know that you are looking for suitable gear.

I don't think there are any canopies made in the 210 size that would be inappropriate for a new A licensee. Some are more docile than others, but the truly aggressive models just aren't made in that size (that big). Still, just remember advice is worth what you pay for it.

Oh, a Diablo comes to mind :S
AFAIK Diablos come in 190 and smaller. (As do Stilettos. Katanas and Vengeances 170 and smaller.)

Apart from Foils and Lightnings and maybe a unique custom Crossfire 2, 210 is a "safe" size. :P
Johan.
I am. I think.