gary350

MLK Weekend! Bush INSTALLS Racist Judge

Bush INSTALLS...

There is nothing unusual about judicial recess appointments.

Quote:

"As a point of comparison, Jimmy Carter made sixty-nine recess appointments during his four years in office, Ronald Reagan made 238 during his eight years, George H.W. Bush made seventy-eight during his four years, and Clinton had made sixty-eight in his first seven years."

Article

Just in case anyone tries to cry that Bush is not being bipartisan...

So the source of those "facts" (yeah, I used quotation marks) is the People for the American Way website. No real need to make the link, they didn't provide any direct information to support those allegations.

Also, you have to wonder about the objectivity of an organization which has a "Right Wing Watch" on its website.

FallRate

>GWB has as much understanding of the problems of the poor as I
>have of the problems of being a billionaire.

Or as much understanding as you have of supersonic flight. After all, you've never piloted a supersonic aircraft, have you? Then you're unqualified to have an opinion on how the speed of sound changes with changes in pressure and temperature.

I don't buy the "you can't understand abortion unless you're a woman" "you can't claim that drugs are bad unless your life has been ruined by them" arguments. One of the reasons we've become intelligent as a society is that we can learn from others. I can learn about airframe icing, and how to avoid it (and deal with it if it does happen) even if I've never flown a plane in icing conditions.

You mean this Robert Byrd?

I remember him!
Didn't he get Fed$$ to pave highway in Va. for his convenience for routes home & Airport?

>GWB has as much understanding of the problems of the poor as I
>have of the problems of being a billionaire.

Or as much understanding as you have of supersonic flight. After all, you've never piloted a supersonic aircraft, have you? Then you're unqualified to have an opinion on how the speed of sound changes with changes in pressure and temperature.

I don't buy the "you can't understand abortion unless you're a woman" "you can't claim that drugs are bad unless your life has been ruined by them" arguments. One of the reasons we've become intelligent as a society is that we can learn from others. I can learn about airframe icing, and how to avoid it (and deal with it if it does happen) even if I've never flown a plane in icing conditions.

But first you have to make the effort to understand.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>But first you have to make the effort to understand.

I think he's made the effort. I think he just reaches different conclusions than I do.

Can you understand skydiving without having made a jump?

Can you really understand being homeless and hungry and not being able to afford medical care, if you've lived a privileged life and never wanted for anything?

>Can you understand skydiving without having made a jump?

Yes. Skydivers understand it a lot better than anyone else, but a first jump student knows a good deal about skydiving before he exits the plane.

>Can you really understand being homeless and hungry and not
> being able to afford medical care, if you've lived a privileged life
> and never wanted for anything?

Yes. Amy has treated the very people you describe; she's had a pretty middle class upbringing (i.e. never went hungry, but massive student loans and a lot of secondhand furniture.) She doesn't understand it as well as they do, but she understands what they need in terms of medical care pretty well.

I must admit I am really missing your point here. If you had a herniated disk in your back, would you honestly take the advice of your pal who has an untreated herniated disk in his back over a back surgeon who has repaired hundreds of herniated disks? I mean, the surgeon never had that sort of back pain. Does that invalidate his ability to repair your back?

Can you really understand being homeless and hungry and not being able to afford medical care, if you've lived a privileged life and never wanted for anything?

You know, this i an interesting point you make. I agree that I can never completely understand the homeless until I am homeless. I also agree that I cannot understand what it means to be a woman, or an African-American, or gay, and I never will understand it. I think you'll agree with me that I will never and can never fully understand it, because I am not any of the above-described people.

If GWB cannot understand it, and will never understand no matter how hard he could possibly try, then why the hell is it held against him? HE cannot understand. Nobody who is not African American can understand. You cannot understand.

So cut the guy some slack. It is impossible for him to understand. Do not hold it against him that he cannot do the impossible. It's an unfair standard.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Apparently this is an incredible tribute to the human animal - who has zero empathy or imagination.

Does anyone believe that?

If that argument follows, then no one who's ever been president should comment on Clinton or Bush, no one who's ever been in the oil industry should talk about Halliburton, no one who's ever treated women like objects should judge Jesse Jackson or Bill Clinton, no one who's never killed should be on a jury of a suspected murderer, and so on and so forth.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Apparently this is an incredible tribute to the human animal - who has zero empathy or imagination.

Does anyone believe that?

If that argument follows, then no one who's ever been president should comment on Clinton or Bush, no one who's ever been in the oil industry should talk about Halliburton, no one who's ever treated women like objects should judge Jesse Jackson or Bill Clinton, no one who's never killed should be on a jury of a suspected murderer, and so on and so forth.

So, then, are you saying that kallend's argument that "one can never understand is wrong?

Or, is there a difference between "empathy" and "understanding?" Hey, I can sympathize with the plight of gays or African Americans. But, I'm not going to say, "I understand what it means to be African American." Why not? Because I do not. Do you? No. You cannot.

Does that mean that I do not "sympathize?" No, it does not. Does that mean that I do not seek to understand the -issues- surrounding it? No, it does not.

You, sir, cannot understand what it is to be an African American. Because you are not. You can understand -the issues- and you can sympathize with their plight.

Try telling your wife that you "understand" what pregnancy is like. Carry on a nice long conversation with her about how you understand exactly what it is. In fact, you understand what she felt during childbirth and breast feeding. Why? Because you're just an understanding type of guy.

And then try asking her whether she believes you.

You've got a snowball's chance in hell of her believing you. But, does that mean you don't empathize or care about what your wife's pregnancy caused? No, it does not. In fact, you probably went out of your way to make it easier on her based on your understanding of -the issues-.

I don't understand what it is like being African American. But because I have the intellectual and moral courage to actually admit that I don't (unlike the "I feel your pain" sayer) does not mean that I don't have empathy or imagination for the feelings of the African American.

Do you see my point? I'm being honest that I don't understand. I'm being honest when I say that neither you nor I could possibly ever hope to understand.

I'm just keeping it real.

You know, this i an interesting point you make. I agree that I can never completely understand the homeless until I am homeless. I also agree that I cannot understand what it means to be a woman, or an African-American, or gay, and I never will understand it. I think you'll agree with me that I will never and can never fully understand it, because I am not any of the above-described people.

If GWB cannot understand it, and will never understand no matter how hard he could possibly try, then why the hell is it held against him? HE cannot understand. Nobody who is not African American can understand. You cannot understand.

So cut the guy some slack. It is impossible for him to understand. Do not hold it against him that he cannot do the impossible. It's an unfair standard.

Ever read the story of Buddha?

There are ways to understand. Just walking a mile in the shoes helps, it doesn't have to be a lifetime.

Ok, semantics arguments are pointless. It depends on what the definition of 'is' is.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Actually, I am one who finds the meaning of words (aka semantics) to be extremely important. For example, when I hear a white guy claim to "understand" the plight of lesbian African Americans, I tend to believe that the guy is full of shit.

Semantics? Yes. It means people mean what they say. "Depends on what the definition of the word 'is' is" is taking semantics to the lowest degree. However, I do not think that you are accusing me of that.

Still, I wrote the above to point out that you misinterpreted the CLEAR meaning of what I said - that GWB cannot possibly understand the plight of the homeless, or the African American, or the gay male. In disregarding semantics, you gave your own interpretation to what I said, indicted that my statement stood for the belief that "inability to understand" means "zero empathy or imagination." Any attention to semantics would demonstrate the inaccuracy of the statement.

And no, I don't think you were attacking me. You're too nice of a guy to do that.:)
I'd recommend to anybody to actually use words wisely. If you don't mean it, don't say it. If you don't know the meaning of the word you are using, don't use the word.

As as for Kallend's point about walking in someone's shoes, I tend to disagree. First off, for me to try to walk in a homeless man's shoes is inherently dishonest. Why? Because I know when I have enough, I can go home.

Martin Sheen will spend the night on a sewer grate and hold a press conference about how bad it was and for others to do something about it. Meanwhile, he could have simply opened his palace garage to a few of them. Maybe even give them jobs.

Sure, he has a greater understanding of the problems of the homeless. But he does not know what it means to be homeless any more than I understand what it is like to be a famous and wealthy actor. Why? Because he went home. His pain ends when the tv lights are on and he's back in his Tommy Hilfigers.

edited to add: look at the poll I made about "understanding." Firmly based in semantics and the meaning of "understanding." I hope it made the point.

You should seek help to get your Bush-hatred under control.

INSTALL? Bill Lan Lee Ring a bell? Compare and contrast him with Charles Pickering. LMFAO. One supports programs that discriminate based on race. The other doesn't. One hadn't the votes for confirmation on the Senate floor. THe other does. I could go on, but think that sufficient. You have a problem with recess appointments? Tough shyte - they're the law. Write your congressman.

With regards to Charles Pickering, you might want to get your 'facts' somewhere other than democraticunderground.com or People for the American Way or whatever source from which you obtained them. As presented, they're pretty pathetic.

For example: 15 times out of HOW MANY? LMFAO. I remember this argument from a couple of years ago. It was pretty stupid then - it still is.

The cross burning case. Man I LOVE it whan the Swan case is brought up by the lefties. Just love it.
You think this case proves he's a racist, eh? Well, I think that anyone who supports programs that judge people by their race for any reason is about 100000000000000000 times the racist Pickering is. Here's the link for all not acquainted with the case: http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0301/14/m01.html

I'm not going to waste my time refuting Gary's entire posting of vague accusations against Charles Pickering. Get a grip dude. Your Bush hatred is just out of control, your 'facts' vague, and your argument untenable.

I hope Bush's recess appointment signals a more aggressive response by Republicans to the ludicrous charges of racism often leveled at them by the left via their race-baiting rhetoric. Such race baiting tactics are the true divisive force in America today and those that use them aren't worthy of the honor of public service.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

"understand" really does seem to have a different context for different people.

of course in your job semantics is huge. for me, they result in a lot of wasted time when actions are easy to judge

I'll agree to disagree on this one since the perspectives are very different

They're not interested in peace, unity, or equality for all. They're interested in privelige based upon race and electing anyone who will give it to them. MLK's 'mind, heart, and character' ideal has been hijacked by such idiots who want racial discrimination today, tomorrow, and forever under the guise of affirmative action.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Yep, you guys are right, special status is wrong... Just like that special status that got Georgie boy into Yale... and Harvard... But until we stop basing school funding on property taxes (as it is in the vast majority of cases), alot of kids (mostly black) are getting a very raw deal. How would all you Pickering lovers feel about affirmative action based on socio-economic status?

Never go to a DZ strip show.