ryan_d_sucks

Custom Harness Fit

I have never had the luxury of jumping a harness/container that was custom built to my specifications before. So, I've never really known how well a custom container "should" fit and feel. Yesterday my new custom built container came in the mail, and honestly it doesn't feel too comfortable. When I sinch down the legstraps as tight as they will go (like I would for a jump), it feels like the MLW is pulling down on the tops of my shoulders fairly hard. Also, there is a good 2.5 inches of space between the two leg pads when I have my legstraps tightened as far as they will go. I kind of feel like I'm going to bust out of the thing, and there aren't even any canopies in it yet. The hip rings sit about 2 inches above my hip (or atleast, where my belt would go around).

Is stuff like that to be expected when ordering custom? Or should I contact the manufacturer? I guess I should get the container assembled and see where I'm really at with my canopies stuffed in there. I know that my last used rig fit me very well, and it felt quite loose without the canopies inside of it.

Just yesterday i was trying on a rig to see how well it fits and to see if i want to buy it. It was assembled with a reserve canopy but no main. I felt the rig was small and sat way to high on me. Once i put a main canopy in it was a huge difference and it fit perfect.
You're trying yours on with no canopies at all so i guarantee it will fit completely different when you pack it .

The best option would be definitely to contact the dealer/ manufacturer (take pictures and send them). You may also post a picture here so riggers and experienced jumpers can try to help.
From my limited experience a rig will feel slightly tighter with the canopies packed.
BTW, leg straps on a properly sized rig don’t need to be over tighten, just snug.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Highlee is correct... try it with canopies first.
Then, if there's still an issue - contact your dealer.

EDIT: The dealer would also tell you to put the canopies in the containers and then send lotsa pics if something is still not right.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The weight of the canopies is gong to pull down on the rear portion of the H/C and change, "the MLW is pulling down on the tops of my shoulders fairly hard."

Some things to look at when you load the containers with canopies:

1) Cinch down the legstraps and stick your thumbs thru the hip rings.
a. They should either, 1) touch your pelvic bones or be even but a little behind given your waist size (nothing disparaging, just an observation).
b. If the hip rings are more rear than directly down your sides, then take a picture.. your laterals "may" need to be extended.

2) "Also, there is a good 2.5 inches of space between the two leg pads when I have my legstraps tightened as far as they will go."

a. When the container is loaded, have a Rigger looking at the leg pads and "if" the legstraps are fully cinched to a stop (impeded by the leg pads) and you still have the same problem (creating some concern about "the hole"), then there are two options, 1) sometimes a Rigger can cut back the leg pads and re-sew the binding on the pads for less than the cost of shipping, or 2) will recommend sending it back to the manufacturer.

b. And as to what fff said, that is true... but if you have concerns about "the hole" after you've done all this AND you are a freeflyer, then by all means, have the MOST senior rigger at your DZ take a look at it.

Please let us know how it works out for you and please know that the manufacturers (of which I've owned most of their rigs) will help to resolve what it takes to make you jump safely.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If your thigh measurements and harness construction are correct the leg pads should be close but without overlapping. Did you take your measurements with shorts and is now trying the rig over a heavy suit? This would increase the space between pads.
Regarding hip rings it may depend on harness design. I have a Wings and had the same feeling at first but I know it is how it was designed to be (top of pelvic bone).
Anyway, just relax and contact the manufacturer. If for some reason the fit is not correct they will absolutely fix it for you. B|

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

First off: you wil never get accurate measurements without canopies, so pack it up and try the fit check again.

Secondly, a small gap - maybe two inches - is about the best you will get on legstrap fit.

Thirdly, different manufacturers have different standards for where harness rings should fit. Rigging Innovations (who introduced hip rings in 1991) say that your iliac crest (top of the pelvis) should be centered in the hip ring.