Ktownbret

Full Face helmets

"Best" is always subjective.

First you need to know if she wants a flip up or a non-flip up.

I have seen visors flip up in freefall so I don't like them.
I have also had visors fog up under canopy...

The fogging issue was easy to fix, IMO. And I have not had it happen in hundreds of jumps.

Personally, I am a fan of the standard Factory Diver. Simple, comfortable, less expensive.

My wife loves her Z-1.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

i ordered a boneheads latest full face, the revolve. i havnt flown it yet, but i like what i read about it.

3 reviews here
http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/738.html

home page
http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/302--the-revolve-helmet.html

there's a fellow on here who was 'beta' testing one. im sure wouldnt be hard to find.

"Best" is always subjective.

First you need to know if she wants a flip up or a non-flip up.

I have seen visors flip up in freefall so I don't like them.
I have also had visors fog up under canopy...

The fogging issue was easy to fix, IMO. And I have not had it happen in hundreds of jumps.

Personally, I am a fan of the standard Factory Diver. Simple, comfortable, less expensive.

My wife loves her Z-1.[/reply

How did you fix the fogging issue on your factory diver?

I am fucking your mom right now

1. Don't put it on early... This includes wearing it on your head on the ride up.

2. make sure it fits so your mouth is aligned with the exhaust hole.

3. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. This is a biggie. As you breathe in your nose, you can actually see the lens clear. If you breathe out through your nose, you can see it start to fog.

You can train yourself to breathe that way, but if you see the lens start to fog, take a big breath in through your nose.

4. Keep the lens clean, but use only water and don't scrub.

I change my lens about once a year and clean it about 3-4 times a year.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

1. Don't put it on early... This includes wearing it on your head on the ride up.

2. make sure it fits so your mouth is aligned with the exhaust hole.

3. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. This is a biggie. As you breathe in your nose, you can actually see the lens clear. If you breathe out through your nose, you can see it start to fog.

You can train yourself to breathe that way, but if you see the lens start to fog, take a big breath in through your nose.

4. Keep the lens clean, but use only water and don't scrub.

I change my lens about once a year and clean it about 3-4 times a year.

Fogging up has never been an issue with my FreeZR helmet by Paratec. I usually wear it during the ride up, only the visor lifted up. Correct breathing as you mentioned is indeed important but not that much with the FreeZR. I usually shut my visor about half a minute before the door is rolled up (I'm usually front diver and don't want to inconvenience the floaters) and have never has any "fogged up" issues. I have never had to change the visor since 2006 and hardly clean it, just once or twice a year.

See me with my FreeZR in the pic attached. The guy left to me wears a FreeZR Mk2. The Mk2 is a little smaller (less "motorcycle helmet-like" B|) but it also has no "fogged up" issues.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I will eventually replace my 12 year old factory diver with another factory diver. I have never seen anything I like better. I have had my shield flip up in freefall. More often than not it was on exit because I forgot to close it. it just slides out of the way and can be refastened with a quick motion.

Some guys I know wear full face helmets with the visor removed wearing goggles instead.
To me, that's like driving a car with the windscreen removed, wearing trousers with their fly open or to read Shakespeare in the Klingon original :P

Some guys I know wear full face helmets with the visor removed wearing goggles instead.
To me, that's like driving a car with the windscreen removed, wearing trousers with their fly open or to read Shakespeare in the Klingon original :P

There are helmets with steam/frost issues. Have you ever been in the situation where you jumped and you can not see anymore? Been there, done that and not jumping that helmet with visor in icing conditions. Funny, heh? B|

Not exactly. The chin bar provides substantial protection from a blow to the face whether or not the visor is in place.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Here's a thing.

All the full-faces on the market are different shapes. The same is true of people's heads.

Some of them may be better quality, have niftier features and so on (and personally I think that's true), but if you buy one without trying on a bunch (say, from reading reviews and asking in this thread alone), you could be missing out on a substantially more comfortable helmet.

Get thee to a helmet shoppe!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I have a Bonhead Mamba, LOVE IT! it was the best fitting for me. the new REvolve looks really cool as well, would have probably bought that one had i not got the mamba(it came about about 3 months after i got my mamba)

I really wanted a cookie for a long time, but ran into an issue on the customer service side with them and said screw it. but the quality of their products to me are top notch, the helmet i was looking at was comfy as hell, as comfy as my mamba.

In the end, forget everyones opinion, and jsut try on every helmet you can, and decide if you want a flip up visor or a fixed one, and go from there.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

That's unfortunate, I guess any company can drop the ball occasionally. For what it's worth, I've found Cookie's customer service to be brilliant.

As for the helmets, I've owned a couple of Bonehead full-faces and a Cookie and they're all good, but I think the GAS is my thing for the foreseeable future.

Demo demo demo.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

yeah, i think i just got unlucky and lost in the shuffle. i really dont hate them, and still think they make an excellent product, but yeah they probably just dropped the ball. oh
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Here's a thing.

All the full-faces on the market are different shapes. The same is true of people's heads.

Some of them may be better quality, have niftier features and so on (and personally I think that's true), but if you buy one without trying on a bunch (say, from reading reviews and asking in this thread alone), you could be missing out on a substantially more comfortable helmet.

Get thee to a helmet shoppe!

Great advise.

Some companies 'large' helmets are looser than other companies Extra large...for a comfort item like a helmet you don't wanna just order blind from a photo.

No fun jumping with your head in a vise no matter how good ya look! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There are helmets with steam/frost issues. Have you ever been in the situation where you jumped and you can not see anymore? Been there, done that and not jumping that helmet with visor in icing conditions. Funny, heh? B|

Read my posting? ;) The FreeZR does NOT have any foggingf/freezing issues. So I have never been there or done that and this was that, huh huh :):P

Not exactly. The chin bar provides substantial protection from a blow to the face whether or not the visor is in place.

Just like the "rest" of the car - without a windscreen - does :P

But you're right. A full-face helmet without a visor is better than a leather cap with goggles when it comes to protecting the head and especially the mandible.

I'm really sorry to hear that you had some trouble with service from Cookie.

Were you dealing direct or with a dealer? And what kind of issue did you have?

I know Cookie and I know he tries as hard as anyone to deliver a good product and service.

I'll let him know about this thread. Don't be surprised if he contacts you.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Read my posting? Wink The FreeZR does NOT have any foggingf/freezing issues.

To be fair.... Neither does my factory diver, or A3.

I'm really sorry to hear that you had some trouble with service from Cookie.

Were you dealing direct or with a dealer? And what kind of issue did you have?

I know Cookie and I know he tries as hard as anyone to deliver a good product and service.

I'll let him know about this thread. Don't be surprised if he contacts you.

Ok, heres the full story.

Was at the 2010 deland expo. went to the trade show thing, looked around, blah blah, blah. Well as you know, at every expo, and trade show theres ALWAYS a raffle. Turns out I won a 50% off voucher on a helmet, which now i honestly cant remember what one it was, but anyway, at the time I didn't have the money, as I wasn't expecting to buy anything THAT big, haha, well the guy at the booth took my name, number and all that, along with the voucher thing (which i should have held on to in hindsight, lol stupid of me i know, and why im not still mad, because half of this was my fault) and told me to email them early next week when they made it home and he would work things out. So I did. Repeatedly, but never could raise a response. Like I said, I think i just got lost in the shuffle of things, i'm sure they are still a great company, and still LOVE their products, they just lost me for that round of it all. Yeah, just let him know, if for nothing else it dosent happen to anyone else.