fizzbuzz99

Swapping out reserve pillow for D ring?

I'm considering buying a new (to me) container. Vector 3. The guy selling it has soft pillows for cutaway and reserve. My personal preference is for D-ring for the reserve handle (I know there are plenty of reasons for and against, but I am more comfortable jumping silver)

Would i need to order a new D-ring handle direct from UPT or are there other suppliers? And (possibly ridiculous rigging question - I need to learn more about my gear!) in switching over reserve pillow to D ring are there any other mods that need to be made to the rig, or is it as simple as changing your cutaway pad??

Hope all is clear. :$

Go to the UPT website. Download and check out the parts catalog. Have a good look through it and learn what you can. You will find about 10 choices or ripcords for V3s. 5 each of RSL and non RSL types. After you become thoroughly confused phone them up. They will ask you a couple of questions, and then tell you what you need and how to get it.
They have absolutely fabulous customer service, and I guarantee no question is too stupid to ask.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Benefits of going through UPT is that when you provide the serial number they will ensure that you get the right length cable and the right sized handle. Drawback is that it 'could' be a little more costly than going through a local supplier.

For the difference in cost these things are almost always easier done through the manufacturer.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I'm considering buying a new (to me) container. Vector 3. The guy selling it has soft pillows for cutaway and reserve. My personal preference is for D-ring for the reserve handle (I know there are plenty of reasons for and against, but I am more comfortable jumping silver)

Would i need to order a new D-ring handle direct from UPT or are there other suppliers? And (possibly ridiculous rigging question - I need to learn more about my gear!) in switching over reserve pillow to D ring are there any other mods that need to be made to the rig, or is it as simple as changing your cutaway pad??

Hope all is clear. :$

Keep in mind, it might be cheaper to go thru UPT. They're now using a spectra ripcord assembly which uses cheaper hardware than the steel cable that all the others (that I've seen) use. The cable doesn't have much play on my V3, so I would definatly have them look up the order form measurements and ensure you get the right length. ;)

Also, check the Velcro fastener (move the cutaway pad out of the way, there are mating velcro (hook and pyle) strips inside the harness webbing, make sure they have a good grip. (there may be a strip mating with the half on the harness that wasn't being used)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The manufacturer is usually your best bet. The Spectra ripcord that UPT is using, I believe requires the rig to have an RSL and last I checked it was the same price. If you know the specifications of the ripcord you could also go through JumpShack, their sister company JCO Metals produces most of the ripcords for US gear manufacturers, including the ones for UPT and the hardware in your existing reserve pillow, going on the assumption that it is a metal ripcord and not a Spectra one.

My only concern with changing from silver is that the pillow requires a firm grip, just like the cutaway handle.

Pulling silver can be performed with a either a grip or hooking with a thumb. I personally did that on a 2nd attempt when I missed it the first time.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

My only concern with changing from silver is that the pillow requires a firm grip, just like the cutaway handle.

Pulling silver can be performed with a either a grip or hooking with a thumb. I personally did that on a 2nd attempt when I missed it the first time.

Sounds Like he's going from a pillow TO silver...and I agree with you. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~