JMantheDrumMan

Mirage G3 leg straps and hardware

I did a quick search and couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for so maybe someone here can help...

I recently purchased at Mirage G3 container from one of the packers at my DZ. It was manufactured in Jan. of 2001 and I believe I'm the third, possibly fourth owner. The rig is in, overall, great shape and I'm very pleased with it except for one thing. The Leg straps tend to loosen up extremely easily... Especially the right leg strap. The hardware seems to be worn quite a bit.

Now, I don't think it's a safety concern just yet, mostly just a comfort concern. I usually cinch down the leg straps completely either just before or just after mocking up an exit. In the approximate 1-3 minutes I'm at the loading area waiting for the plane to arrive, I have to re-cinch at least once. Then another time once I'm on the plane, performing my pre jump checks.

The straps usually loosen up about an inch or two upon opening, but seem to stay put after I have a fully inflated canopy. Again, I don't think it's a safety concern, just comfort.

So my question is this... Is it possible and or very difficult to have the hardware replaced? Could I order hardware from say, wichard or mirage? Is this something my rigger could do for me or would I have to send it to the manufacturer? Is there maybe something I can do for a quick fix like sanding or roughing up the hardware a little bit?

Thanks for the help.

Jason

That guy that owns Velocity Sports recommended that I stay with their std stainless leg hardware and not bother with that springy version from Wichard. I have not had any problems at all with loosening. My previous rigs with cad plated steel hardware were constantly needing to be re-tightened (this is my first rig with stainless hardware). So, at least one mfg is using a good design with no need for springs, I don't know who supplies it to them.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Wow, exact same problem that I had on my 2004 Mirage G3 that I bought used. Do you have the cadmium hardware or stainless? Mine was cadmium buckles. I was always tightening up the straps on jump run and it was really annoying.

I sent it back a few weeks ago and had the buckles replaced with the SP-888 "french style" 2 piece buckles and that completely solved the problem. Cost was $214 for everything but shipping, so it came to about $235 after shipping. They had an amazing turn around time, called me the morning that it arrived at their factory, did the work in a couple hours and had it back out the door that afternoon. You might not even miss a weekend if you are lucky.

I thought it was pretty shitty that the hardware was defective and I was totally prepared to call and bitch that they fix it for free, but once I heard how quick they were willing to do it, I decided to relent. And not being the original owner on a new rig, I doubt they would have given in. If it happend on a brand new rig, ya I'd be pissed and demand they fix it for free.

My master rigger said he could do it but it wouldn't have been any cheaper and I wanted factory work so that I might have more recourse if it was still slipping, which it is not.

So, just to be clear: I had the buckles shown in the top and 2nd pic here: http://www.miragesys.com/products/?loc=detail&id=2&iid=1237 and I replaced it with the 4th pic down and now it does not slip.

Never again will I own a rig with anything other than stainless SP-888 leg strap buckles:)

I should add that my harness is articulated, and it will probably cost more if yours in non-articulated. The actual straps will need to be replaced as well after they pick the stiching out to remove/ replace the hardware. Also, don't forget you'll have to pay for a complete reassembly and not just a repack to get your rig back up. Total cost including shipping both ways and additional rigging was closer to $300>:(

I did a quick search and couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for so maybe someone here can help...

I recently purchased at Mirage G3 container from one of the packers at my DZ. It was manufactured in Jan. of 2001 and I believe I'm the third, possibly fourth owner. The rig is in, overall, great shape and I'm very pleased with it except for one thing. The Leg straps tend to loosen up extremely easily... Especially the right leg strap. The hardware seems to be worn quite a bit.

Now, I don't think it's a safety concern just yet, mostly just a comfort concern. I usually cinch down the leg straps completely either just before or just after mocking up an exit. In the approximate 1-3 minutes I'm at the loading area waiting for the plane to arrive, I have to re-cinch at least once. Then another time once I'm on the plane, performing my pre jump checks.

The straps usually loosen up about an inch or two upon opening, but seem to stay put after I have a fully inflated canopy. Again, I don't think it's a safety concern, just comfort.

So my question is this... Is it possible and or very difficult to have the hardware replaced? Could I order hardware from say, wichard or mirage? Is this something my rigger could do for me or would I have to send it to the manufacturer? Is there maybe something I can do for a quick fix like sanding or roughing up the hardware a little bit?

Thanks for the help.

Jason

I did a rig inspection where one of the leg strap friction adapters was on wrong... it seems it could cause something like that to happen.

One of our military riggers said they had to send 100 harnesses back to the manufacturer because they shipped them all with the friction adapters on the v-rings installed wrong.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks for all the replies. So it looks as though I have the standard cadmium buckles. I've taken a closer look at them too see if it's just a dirt issue. It doesn't seem to be, but I'm going to give them a good cleaning anyway. I didn't really want to resort to putting a bunch of rubber bands on my leg straps but I guess it's always an option.

Also, I don't have an articulated harness so switching out the buckles will be too expensive for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though.