mchamp

What rig do you own and......

What kind of rig do you own and what kind of modifications/options or upgrades would you like to see from the manufacturer to implement?

Let's see how innovative/creative you all are ;)
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Unless they can make it self-packing, I'm pretty happy with it as is.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Vectors (I&II) - they should be Vector III's.

Racer - it should be "delivered" (ok, I've only been waiting a couple weeks, so I shouldn't complain.)

Changes:
+ CHEAPER!! :P
+ Ability to take a much wider range of main canopies. So I could swap from my little swooper to my demo/classic accuracy canopies with the same rig. (Strong had one back in the day, but I don't see anyone making them now...) :)+ RSL that would only work when both risers are gone, use the main as a deployment device, but NOT endanger my reserve if they deploy out of sequence :)
+ AAD that knows AGL no matter how bad my spot :o
+ Airbags :D

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I have a Vector3 Micron and absolutely love it, but personally I'd like to have leg straps webbings that do not loosen or shift around when I walk to the plane or move about within the plane.....then again it just might be my skinny ass thighs lol

I believe Paratec has something similar to this called the feather clip on their leg webbing straps?
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I bought a new mirage a few months back and am disappointed by how it looks.

Not sure if its possible, but it would be nice if there was a way the tray container could fit more of the canopy lengthwise instead of out. People think my 132 is a 220. I get made fun of alot.:D

what kind of modifications/options or upgrades would you like to see from the manufacturer to implement?

I want Mr. Booth to come up with heated back pads and leg straps for those January nekked jumps!
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Serious Answer

I jump Racers. My Second Rig was a New 2K3, I had a 2k3 Classic Accuracy Rig which I sold to a retiring Golden Knight, and I currently have a 2007 2K3 with magnetic riser covers (cool!). Overall, I think Racers are Fantastic. Jumpshack is wonderful company that knows how to make a top-rate rig.

Improvements

This last Redemption boogie, it was 107 degrees out and on Saturday I made 9 jumps. After Each jump, I would peel the rig off my back. I was thinking "Man, this needs a spacer foam backpad."

Then, 2 weeks later, I found out that was an options they just began to experiment with. $75, but they couldn't retrofit.

Conclusion
Get a Spacer Foam backpad on your racer. If you jump in hot muggy weather, you'll appreciate it.
=========Shaun ==========

I have a Vector3 Micron and absolutely love it, but personally I'd like to have leg straps webbings that do not loosen or shift around when I walk to the plane or move about within the plane.....then again it just might be my skinny ass thighs lol

\

The new wichard hardware that came on my vector 3 has exactly this feature. I will let you know after 1000 jumps if it wears the webbing out.

I have a V3 and I got it because of the skyhook and because I feel it's one of the better researched and tested rigs out there.

I also bought a Javelin because it was cheap and in reasonably good shape.

-Michael

I own an Infinity made by Velocity Sports Equipment.
I love my rigs and have spring loaded leg strap buckles....no leg strap slippage.
I think it would be cool to say I have magnetic riser covers, but wouldnt improve the functionality of the rig from what I can see. Being able to use my everyday rig for doing test jumps or intentional cutaways with hand deployed canopies, that was clean and liked nice, would be nice for me.
On a side note I would love for Vigil to come out with some unit that you could turn off after you have deployed your main, by like pulling a pin out or putting a pin in a unit. I love the units they make, just with canopy piloting, swooping, and doing 630 degree turns 95% of the time on sub 80 canopies, I am worried about setting off a unit, so I choose what I believe to be the safer option for me and not use an AAD unit.

Just my 2 cents

Changes:
+ CHEAPER!! :P

Not to hijack the thread but I can't for the life of me figure out why a new rig should cost 6K+!!! I realize there is more going into the cost than materials and labor. But c'mon, today's prices are absurd. Twenty years ago you could buy a new rig for less than 3K. It's ridiculous! :S
Maybe the factories could reduce the size of their demo/comp teams and minimize their globe trotting!! >:( Or maybe go back to cutting canopies with hot knives instead of those fancy shmancy lazer cutters...

I don't know. Whatever. New gear is way over-priced.
Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front

I don't know. Whatever. New gear is way over-priced.

I assembled a rig for a fellow about 2 months ago that bought a rig ~ the poor guy paid retail for each and every component ~ IIRC, he spent nearly $7,500 on the system. :|
=========Shaun ==========

On a side note I would love for Vigil to come out with some unit that you could turn off after you have deployed your main, by like pulling a pin out or putting a pin in a unit. I love the units they make, just with canopy piloting, swooping, and doing 630 degree turns 95% of the time on sub 80 canopies, I am worried about setting off a unit, so I choose what I believe to be the safer option for me and not use an AAD unit.

The Argus swwop mode does exactly that - it disarms after detecting a canopy deployment.

My wish list item: a magic pocket with an unlimited supply of jump tickets and cold beer.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I believe Paratec has something similar to this called the feather clip on their leg webbing straps?

I has this type of fittings on all my rigs and never had a leg strap slip.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Quickejectsnap.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Snapv-ring.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Shortly before I bought my Wings, the company removed the stiffener in the main pin cover flap because they had problems with lines somehow wrapping around it. Now the flap fits fairly loosely in it's pocket, and I have been told that it has come out on some jumps. Wish a safer stiffener could be developed.
My riser covers are also a tad loose sometimes, those magnets sound nice.

Another idea, you could paint a part of the chest strap hardware bright orange, such that it is only visible if the strap is not routed correctly. Simple to do, and could save lives.

Also, what about having magnets in the bottom of the reserve handle pocket? You could get rid of the velcro, and use the magnets to firmly hold the handle in place. No more peel punch, just punch. You could do something similar with the cutaway handle too. The thing that is nice about magnets is that once they are a short distance away they loose grip fast, rather than velcro which keeps trying to hold (especially in a sheer like the cutaway handle) as it is pulled away.

Just some random thoughts, probably not any good. Aren't you guys glad I don't make rigs??

:P:P:P

I've got a Wings.

I wish they would have refused to make a yellow/black one for me. That was after aborting a swoop and landing in some mud... :$

I wish it was easier to check the reserve wire on it and I don't like its risers, but other than that I like it.

I want my breaks to stay in place until I release them (only seems to work on Atom risers if one doesn't use velcro). I like the front handles to stay open, like Javelin and Vector risers. Wings risers' front handles feel so fragile that I'm affraid I'll break them...

The "Russian Toggle Mod" by Chutingstar seems great and I'll get my next set of risers from them, if I only could decide which riser they should modify...

It would be nice if the soft links would stay in place without having to sew them (only on Atoms? - but I don't like their solution of punching an extra hole in the riser). It would be nice if it was easy to switch between an RDS and normal slider.

Being able to use my everyday rig for doing test jumps or intentional cutaways with hand deployed canopies, that was clean and liked nice, would be nice for me.

Got me one... its nice... B|

On a side note I would love for Vigil to come out with some unit that you could turn off after you have deployed your main, by like pulling a pin out or putting a pin in a unit.

Not to say this shouldn't be an option for those that want it... just ironic... the earliest AAD's had to be turned off after the main opened as they had no vertical speed sensor, only altitude. :D

JW

PS - There was a question about which (old) AAD I was refering to that had to be dis-armed... I think it was the original Sentinel (not MK2000)...
FMI see http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4010256#4010256
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...