rvmnw

Jump suit to slow fall rate

Hi people.

I need some advice on jumpsuits. I just did an AFF level 4 and my instructor had a hard time keeping up when he let go of me. He also told me that we fell at 140mph.

So I need to invest in a jumpsuit quickly to help slow me down.

Any advice will be appreciated

Any of the major jumpsuit manufacturers can help you build a slower suit. Call and talk to them. Generally slow suits use coarse fabric and are cut to be a bit floppy..

Don't rely exclusively on your jump suit:

• If overweight, losing some weight can make a difference.
• Learn to fly your body well enough that you can slow and accelerate easily.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Don't buy a suit yet.
Your instructor should be helping you to "dress for success", just like he should, from the Students suits at the DZ.

Once your off Student status and are getting some coaching into technique and body positioning, then you can deal with buying a jump suit.

Once your at that stage then the advice up to this point can be applicable.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Don't buy a suit yet.
Your instructor should be helping you to "dress for success", just like he should, from the Students suits at the DZ.

Once your off Student status and are getting some coaching into technique and body positioning, then you can deal with buying a jump suit.

this is the only post the OP needs

(during AFF, the instructor should be dealing with dressing the student and himself appropriately - and making sure the students logbook is notated so other instructors are warned)

then the OP can do a search and read the 700 other posts on this subject for post grads

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well I am a rather big guy. Currently weighing 98kgs. My weight usually varies between 95 and a 100kgs. To get less than that I'll probably need to starve myself for a year

I'm pretty much at 100kg. And 1m88. How tall are you?
Remster

Don't buy a suit yet.

Matt

Agreed. Not_Fur_Nuttin, but doesn't your school have big N baggy suits? Their fees do include rental equipment. If you're that big. Does your instructor not have a weight belt?

Disclaimer: Newbie opinion.

I am 1.81m tall

Thanks for the input guys. Will have a chat with the instructors. As for rental gear at the DZ well thats a bit of a problem. They have jump suits for smaller guys. The only suit that fits me comfortably is a nylon suit which in turn also contribute to my fall rate.

So according to most of you I should rather wait till I have my A-licence before I invest in a suit

Wait til you have more experience. Borrow a suit from the DZ, or if you feel you need something lose and flappy, get a cheap mechanic's suit for now. Work on your fall rate skills as best you can with your instructor. I had a student yesterday on a recurrency that weighed in at 230lbs. Dressing him in an old baggy suit and me in a speed suit worked well.
For now, it's the DZ's responsibility to dress you and your instructor as close/best scenario possible. Spending a coupla hundred bucks on a really floaty suit that you may not need in a month or two probably is worth some reconsideration. Your instructors should know what to do....Buying a floaty suit right now probably isn't the correct course. Then again....your instructors are right there, and they can see you in action. We can't.

Wait til you have more experience. Borrow a suit from the DZ, or if you feel you need something lose and flappy, get a cheap mechanic's suit for now. Work on your fall rate skills as best you can with your instructor. I had a student yesterday on a recurrency that weighed in at 230lbs. Dressing him in an old baggy suit and me in a speed suit worked well.
For now, it's the DZ's responsibility to dress you and your instructor as close/best scenario possible. Spending a coupla hundred bucks on a really floaty suit that you may not need in a month or two probably is worth some reconsideration. Your instructors should know what to do....Buying a floaty suit right now probably isn't the correct course. Then again....your instructors are right there, and they can see you in action. We can't.

Cool thanks for the advice. ;)

Ya, a one piece baggy or loose fitting coveralls would be a cheap alternative to help slow you down. They are typically made of a rough material that can sometimes be similar to cordura. They are cheap and durable.
If the DZ is tight for money they can be an alternative to buying expensive "skydiving" jumpsuits. I know we have a couple we use for the bigger and taller guys.

I had a hard time finding an appropriate jumpsuit when I started out. Im 6'4 and 180lbs or about 195cm and 75kg i think. all the jumpsuits that fit me were for heavier guys so I fell REALLY slow in them. A tight pair of coveralls made for a tall guy really helped out. You can literally get coveralls for any body style as they are mass produced.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I am a big guy and have a suit that helps a bunch. That said, one thing you can do is learn good body position. The AFF arch works against your size. So get through AFF and then get some coaching on flatting out and cupping you shoulders a little. There are a couple of schools of thought and people will have advice for you. Another thing you can do is talk to other big people.

There is more than just a suit to help. But get through AFF first. You might just need a bigger instructor.;)

POPS #10623; SOS #1672

There is more than just a suit to help. But get through AFF first. You might just need a bigger instructor.;)

absolutely good point

I had a student I was coaching (post AFF at the time) 3 years ago - most of his belly work, I was in a sit staying with him. If I'd have had him AFF, I would have needed 20-30 pounds of lead and my tightest suit.

He showed up last year with a bit more experience. He wore the suit my wife made him (double layers, biggest grippers, full size booties.....) and a much more relax posture. People could fly with him on their bellies much better. He flew at my 4way comp speed.

time and experience teaches a lot of fall rate control - so does being comfy after a couple hundred jumps.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I couldn't agree more with what everyone is saying here. Training is key!
A big guy arching hard will fall super fast... Once you have more training and experience you will easily control your fall rate, But no matter what you do or how skilled you get, YOU WILL FALL FAST! this is your reality!
I am 6ft 210lbs or 182cm 96kg and I have different suits for different jobs/disciplines.
I have a great big freefly suit that i use for small AFF students and freefly jumps with lighter people, I have a tight fittingRW suit(with booties and grippers) for mainly formation jumps, a tight fitting freefly suit for big boy freefly(fast falling) and a Camera Jacket with big wings to fly with Tandems!

For now get yourself a baggy freefly suit! You can wait to you're done your training but either way unless you lose weight, you will need one. You can also get a Rw suit designed for big boys with booties. As the booties alone when used properly will help your fall rate immensely.

If any of this doesn't make sense, Talk to your Instructors or just keep on asking questions here!

Good Luck and Blue skies
Skydivers are nothing but a bunch of Narcissistic A$$holes!!
Front risers were made for pulling! Pal
MuFF#5640
D.S. # 2012

Come jump with me at Orange, VA. I am a "fast faller" big guy AFFI. It is up to the instructor to make the skydive work. I routinely opt out of AFF jumps where it is obvious I will have difficulty staying with a "floaty" student. By the same token, I am the school's go-to guy for the big students and fast fallers. Matching the student with the most appropriate instructor and both dressing for success is the key.

When you get off of student status, get yourself a Deepseed multispeed suit and ask for it to be extra baggy. A little pricey, but very well made and durable suit. I have two of them and I am very happy with them.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures