SFJason.

Better first canopy spectre or saber2?

Thanks again everyone. The pilot sounds very interesting also. One quick question about the spectre: With it having less glide it means that I would be coming in at a steeper angle than a saber2, and if thats the case is it harder for a newbie to land? With that steepened angle will it make my landings faster? Sorry more than one your input appreciated.

Thanks again everyone. The pilot sounds very interesting also. One quick question about the spectre: With it having less glide it means that I would be coming in at a steeper angle than a saber2, and if thats the case is it harder for a newbie to land? With that steepened angle will it make my landings faster? Sorry more than one your input appreciated.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:S

It does not make any difference for you.
There is a nice set of canopies you can select from. That means that you can pick any of them with or without demos.

I'm looking for threads about your helmet and jumpsuit selection.B|

I've had a few jumps on each of:
Spectre
Sabre2
Safire2

And have demoed:
Storm
Pilot
Lotus
Katana
Navigator (student)

I think that when you're starting out you're probably not going to notice the difference too much until you're able to use each canopy at the same loading in varying conditions to allow you to experience the performance of each canopy.

As far as the flare goes (which I personally think will be the biggest factor for most lower time jumpers), the way each canopy flares is quite different (they also fly differently for the same reasons). Many people complain about one canopy or another but don't seem to have actually taken the time to learn how to flare each canopy.

Personally, I found the pilot to have the weakest flare out of all the canopies I have flown but that may be due to the way I like to fly. I never had any issues with any of the other canopies I've flown when working out the flare.

In order of "fun to fly" I'd rate them as follows:
Katana
Safire2
Sabre2
Storm
Pilot
Spectre
Navigator

In terms of "easy to land", I'd rate them:
Katana, Safire2, Sabre2, Storm, Spectre, Navigator (all about the same)
Pilot

I felt like the pilot had very little flare power in the bottom end and I've heard similar comments about the Pulse. If you learn to fly whatever it is that you get then you'll probably not have any issues.

Please take my comments as just that, comments from one person, YMMV.

As far as helmets go, you really can't go wrong with a Protec.

Have some one check out your landing tech, it sounds like your not finishing your flare and running out a 3/4 to 7/8 stroke.

I have been jumping Spectre's from 107 up to 170 for a few years now pretty consistent and I find i only run out the ones I don't finish my flare on.

But I am web diagnosing, so take it with a grain of salt.

Matt

+1 when I switched from a Sabre 1 to the Spectre i fly now I was not using all the flair. Now I have tiptoe landings even on 0 wind days
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I've demoed Spectre and Pilot too, and jump sabre2 myself. Both those open a bit better, but I prefer flying charasteristics of sabre2.. especially flare.

I guess this is one of those questions other people can't answer for you, all those canopies have different advantages and it comes down to what you value in yours..

edit: corrected typo

I agree with everyone else-- You should definitely demo a Spectre, since you've already flown the Sabre2. PD offers demos of all their canopies for a minimal fee... I think its like $30 or $40 and you get to keep the canopy for 2 weeks and put as many jumps as you want on it. I even got to keep the Sabre 2 that I demoed for 3 weeks because I got weathered out one weekend.

Do you have a container that you can hook the mains up to? I know that can be a limiting factor in trying out new gear when you're first starting. That, and finding someone to help hook them up without spending a lot of cash, or feeling like a mooch. I know that it was for me.

My first canopy was a Spectre 190 loaded at 1:1, and I loved it. Nice soft openings, it was responsive and fun to fly (compared to the mantas I was coming off of), and I thought the flare was great. I ran out my first few landings under it because I wasn't completing the flare, but once I got it dialed in, it was at most a step or two after touching down on most occasions. After I lost that main I went to Tri 190, and it was OK, but I liked the Spectre MUCH better. However, that may be an apples to oranges comparison, as the Spectre I had only had around 200 jumps on it, and the Triathlon I inherited was old and beat up.

Contact PD and figure out a way to demo both of them, then you can make a better, more informed decision!