BravestDog

Marijuana and Skydiving. Good, bad, indifferent?

Well, I have enough first-hand experience both with the effects of pot and with people who are stoned to know that generalizations don't always apply. For instance; a person's reaction time on pot might be slower, but it might still be faster than the reaction time of another skydiver who never tokes. Also, adrenalin is a great override for the buzz. So I wouldn't have a problem jumping with a person who's stoned, as long as I didn't have a problem with how they behaved when they were high.
In general, though, if an unknown skydiver came up to me smelling of pot and asked to jump with me, I would probably say no.
As for pilots, it again depends on how well I knew the pilot in question. But in my experience, with pilots, alcohol is a much bigger problem than weed.
<---puts on flame-proof suit.

Ok, so maybe my choice would be not to get on a plane with a pilot who had just toked, but someone who is "a stoner" no problem. Definitely better than "a drunk" although not the best situation imaginable.

Hey, it's plain and simple! Any amount of alcohol or drug may impair your abilities, regardless of which situation is better or worse. Since you are riding into altitude with no other support than the plane and the pilot and you will jump to earth with no other support than your equipment, your skills and those of your fellow jumpers, definitely one should never knowingly jump exposed to drugs/alcohol in oneself, fellow jumpers or pilot (unless one wants to make it riskier but I don't see the added fun).

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Well, BravestDog, I'd say that pretty much sums it up...NO to DRUGS/ALCOHOL...until the beer light comes on.
And at least one person touched on (IF you can't get a good enough buzz from jumping...theres something very very wrong with you).

Sorry, but having known many stoned vs drunk drivers, I take the stoned any day. I would say the same applies to pilots, particularly when there's so much less around to hit. Overall, yeah, it isn't good for a pilot to be stoned, but better than drunk any day.

Except the fucking planet.

Take your troll boat some place else.

edit: missed it by -----> <------- much.

I'm thinking someone watched Fandango recently.
{Truman} "Do you want some dude, it will help you relax".:S:S

We often get bizzare calls at the dz after that move and Dropzone has aired. Some people want to skydive and some people want to know if we have drugs.:S

And Ivan, hasn't this been hacked up a few times before?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

No, no, and no, and by the way, no. Afterwards, whatever, just keep it away from me and my family.

Oh, and no.

As far as jumping with a pilot on either, no, and no.

13 jumps and already into wingsuit flying. Troll.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This is the dumbest thread I have ever seen! What on earth would posess a person to jump stoned??!?!? Don't these people have little bells in their heads that go off sceaming "This is a fucking retarded idea!" Even worse for pilots, because in comparison to a jumpers, a pilot is responsible for several more lives. I will NEVER get into a plane with a pilot who has had a toke.
=========Shaun ==========

Dude, are you a pilot? Do you know the skills it takes to take off fully loaded, dump tons of cargo almost all at once, and fly and land with an open door? Not to talk the time the engine goes buy buy during take off... If I suspected the pilot was stoned I would not get on the load and I would call FAA, call me a rat but that it an't right shit. I got nothing against the use of pot but skydiving and especially flying while impaired is as wrong as it gets.
Memento Audere Semper

Dude, are you a pilot? Do you know the skills it takes to take off fully loaded, dump tons of cargo almost all at once, and fly and land with an open door?

No, but I do know very well that level of impairment caused by pot can vary greatly according to quality of marijuana, amount smoked, personality of the smoker...Some people are perfectly capable of being on top of the high, however, most aren't, which is why "Pot doesn't mix well with skydiving" is generally a good advice.

Personally I don't think it's appropriate to be stoned and in the sky with the exception of the pilot. Not that I think it's wrong to smoke pot, but I wouldn't drink a sixer and jump either.

Say what you want concerning jumping under the influence of marijuana (there's nothing I can say to justify jumping while stoned). But please don't compare drinking and smoking. They effect the body and mind in completely different ways. As a former ski patroller, I have seen what happens to people who come out of the bar after a few at lunch. But I can't recall if I ever treated an injury due to someone being stoned (of course being stoned is easier to conceal than being drunk).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have a rule for myself. I won't jump if I am taking anything that will impair my ability to react. Even if I am too tired, I won't jump.

It just isn't worth it. I also would prefer for others not to be impaired when I jump with them because they could be risking my life.

My .02. Alcohol is more physically destructive than marijuana, but marijuana is not cabbage; it can be abused with unfortunate consequences. Having said that jumping or flying while under the influence is extremely poor judgment. The beer light (or bud light) is never more than a few hours away. You can wait.

No, no, and no, and by the way, no. Afterwards, whatever, just keep it away from me and my family.

Oh, and no.

As far as jumping with a pilot on either, no, and no.

13 jumps and already into wingsuit flying. Troll.

Bill, well said. In fact, most of the people posting and saying "NO", I couldn't agree with you more.
Keep it away from me. When at different boogies, if the group I'm hanging with is doing drugs, or getting out of hand drinking, I leave. (I try to find a private shower at some of the boogies, but that doesn't seem to work well unless Bill is guarding the door;))
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Take it from someone who has tried jumping after a beer (once) and smoking a joint (once) and hung-over (hundreds of times):
IT IS A WASTE OF JUMP TICKETS!

I have been clean and sober so long that now I am uncomfortable even being in the same airplane with someone who has recently smoked a cigarette!

The main reason I quit drinking was because it messed with my sleep cycles. Nothing quite like climbing on an airplane grumpy from lack of sleep.

If I saw a pilot sipping or toking - in the middle of the day - I would take my name off manifest and tell the DZO why I was taking my money to the neighboring DZ.

I agree! Do not be under the influance on my load! Once the beer light is on I have no problem w/ what you do, but please dont be high,drunk, or hung-over when jumping! To much is at stake! You might kill me!>:(
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

...:| to suggest that a pilot within your "world of skydiving" might even consider smoking , or drinking and then flying jumpers tells me two things..>:(
1. either you have pilots of questionable judgement abilities, where you are. and so you are jumping at the wrong place...
2. you haven't been around too long,, and have a far too vivid imagination :|
Get real benny ,,I have NEVER seen a Drop Zone pilot,,, betray his license, his profession, and his conscience ,,,or jeopardize his credentials :S by flying
in any sort of imparied condition.... Hell,, most every pilot i've ever known or currently know, does not do anything of that sort,,,to any great degree,,, even after the 'light is lit"..and certainly NOT during jumps hours...Man Our jump pilots deserve far greater respect than what you are giving them... are you for real?
.Maybe it's different at other places,, (and I am certainly not naive enough to think that it NEVER happens..but I sure have never seen it...) and I've been watchin' for a while....:|.
... you.. pal..... owe an apology to just about every skydiving pilot out there...a group which is far to under appreciated by far to many fun jumpers in general.. Hopefully most ALL of them are appreciated by the DZO and by the staff and those who KNOW what it involved in " up/down up/down up/down up/down up/down up/down up/down/ :|well ya' gettin' the picture????
Save for a renegade one or two exceptions.... I have found jump pilots to be far too capable , responsible and of good character, to even consider such a thing....but it's good that YOU approve....
.... oh yes the original question...
NO...no drugs,, no alcohol...
Did we all forget the safety perecautions we were taught in our first jump course??? or are we just ignoring those guidelines??Nothing has changed.... We need to be at our best, any time we jump...... and utilizing any sort of "enhancement" is a demonstration of poor judgement..let's be smarter than that...

I once saw a bunch of rowdy wide-boys turn up to do a group tandem. After they had all jumped I noticed one of the PAX looked like he was having a nervous breakdown and overheard one of his buddys saying that he had done a line of Coke before the lift.

I guess he wanted to make the experience a little more intense. I wonder how far out of the door he was before he realised it was a bad move:ph34r:

But seriously, he put his Tandem instructor at risk as well as himself. Not good.

If I though anyone on a load was going to endanger themselves or anyone else I would get their ass hauled off, even if I made myslef look like a C@~t.

Bravest Dog:- Troll or not, where do you come up with all this wacky shit?...Let me think, whats next.....Maybe...

...POST:- Which type of cloud do you prefer to fly through when on a wingsuit dive, Cumulus or Nimbus?

or Maybe...

...POST:- Has anybody considered filling their Wingsuit with Helium?

or Maybe...

...POST:- Has anybody considered Parascending from a speedboat in a wingsuit?

:D;)