BravestDog

Marijuana and Skydiving. Good, bad, indifferent?

...:| Thanks for your objective input jerry81...my words were 100 % factual,,, I HAVE never seen such behavior in a jump pilot....( I guess I don't get around much :P :S )
Yet I will not disagree with your first hand observation.....True enough,, things may be MUCH different in your part of the world...[:/].
I try to show respect for pilots,,, until they do something which will lose that respect....
It appears that the pilot you mention has done just that...B|.. Antanov AN-2 Bi plane... slooooow climber... tough to stall.... so.. you and your friends would do well to be careful out there....and Oh yes..... what was the response from the drop zone operator????..:o
good luck jerry81 .................jmy :)

Last I heard, the guy was going to lose his license (hopefully his plane, too). He may already have, since its been a while, but on the other hand, since he's a person with some weight at that airfield (dropzones per se do not exist here) and probably has connections within the our aeronautic association, he might have gotten off somehow. I honestly hope he's permanently banned from flying anything bigger than a kite and that this will serve as a warning to other pilots.

Everyone who has posted here.......well, if you have been in the sport long enough and you are not blind that is, has known someone who was drunk or stoned and jumped before, after or with you! I have seen people on sunset load under canopy, drinking a beer and enjoying the last sky and ride of the day.....actually thought that rather amusing.:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I would not use ANY kind of drug/alcohol before jumping, and I would not knowingly jump with someone who did.

What she said. That, and I don't drink or drug anyway.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Stoned or drunk, there is no difference.

Wrong. People who are drunk tend to be full of confidence and bravado, whereas people who are stoned tend to be cautious. I have known people who have driven when stoned and they drove at about 20mph. The same people drunk drove way too fast.

There definately is a difference.

Dude, are you a pilot? Do you know the skills it takes to take off fully loaded, dump tons of cargo almost all at once, and fly and land with an open door?

No, but I do know very well that level of impairment caused by pot can vary greatly according to quality of marijuana, amount smoked, personality of the smoker...Some people are perfectly capable of being on top of the high, however, most aren't, which is why "Pot doesn't mix well with skydiving" is generally a good advice.

Exactly right. I know some stoners who I would bet can outfly almost everyone posting to this thread with both their body and their canopy, wether they were stoned or not.

It's all relative...

Wrong. People who are drunk tend to be full of confidence and bravado, whereas people who are stoned tend to be cautious. I have known people who have driven when stoned and they drove at about 20mph. The same people drunk drove way too fast.

Stoned or drunk, there is no difference, if they are driving, flying or jumping they are a danger to themselves and others. If believe they aren't, you have been living under the bridge.
Sparky
Edit to include, Have you ever wondered why they are driving 20 mph on the freeway. There brain is going 20 mph in the fast lane.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Edit to include, Have you ever wondered why they are driving 20 mph on the freeway. There brain is going 20 mph in the fast lane.

Yeah they all camp out on the left lane in rush hour traffic in Seattle>:(

In my post I was referring to that... being uh... forgetful while in flight or in freefall.... Uh where was I at again... ... BAD IDEA

Stoned or drunk, there is no difference, if they are driving, flying or jumping they are a danger to themselves and others. If believe they aren't, you have been living under the bridge.
Sparky

I'm not saying I advocate it, nor that it is a good idea. You said that there is NO difference - and that's not true from both a biological and behavioral perspectice.

I'm not saying I advocate it, nor that it is a good idea. You said that there is NO difference - and that's not true from both a biological and behavioral perspectice.

And I repeat!
Stoned or drunk, there is no difference, if they are driving, flying or jumping they are a danger to themselves and others.

As a person who has smoked more than anyone I have met in a long long time...
I will jump with people who smoke , but I believe you should be very comfortable with jumping before you try jumping under the influernce of anything!!
Alcohol,pot,pills...
as a personal decision I always jump sober.
Live and let live...
Darwin loves you!;)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Actually, I always drive slower if I've had a drink or a smoke. Not because my brain would be turning so much slower (I guess I either don't fit your idea of a stoner or that idea itself has some holes in it), but because I'm aware that I'm not fully operational, however well I might feel. With the way I drive, you could hardly say that I'm a danger to others, but with my reaction time impaired, others might be a danger to me. Better to drive a bit slower and be very alert to everything happening around me than have one of the 'fast' drunk drivers crash into me because I didn't have time to dodge him.

Actually, I always drive slower if I've had a drink or a smoke. Not because my brain would be turning so much slower (I guess I either don't fit your idea of a stoner or that idea itself has some holes in it), but because I'm aware that I'm not fully operational, however well I might feel. With the way I drive, you could hardly say that I'm a danger to others, but with my reaction time impaired, others might be a danger to me. Better to drive a bit slower and be very alert to everything happening around me than have one of the 'fast' drunk drivers crash into me because I didn't have time to dodge him.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hee! Hee!
Reminds me of the time I drove home drunk from the Hamptons with a cop on my tail all the way.
Eventually he got bored because I stopped at every stop sign and red light while matching every speed limit (all 18 of them) exactly. Never gave the guy an excuse to pull me over.
Hee! Hee!
Ah, the things we do when we are young and foolish!

And I repeat!
Stoned or drunk, there is no difference, if they are driving, flying or jumping they are a danger to themselves and others.

There are a lot of people who are far more of a danger to themselves and others just through their very nature, than people who are jumping stoned or drunk.

You really have no idea how to think in terms of anything other than black and white. You were in the military and you were a cop though, right? So I guess that explains it.

I don't know if I'd take my "life" in my hands while "under the influence" seems like stupid or some shit. I wou'dnt mind sneaking a beer past the censors for a sunset hop and pop, but thats about the extent of my bravado.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Okay, most of you that used to partake will remember at least once standing in the bathroom holding a gallon of milk wondering what the F*** you were doing there. This is not the state of mind I want to be in plummeting toward the earth at 120 mph. I don't care what you do once the beer line is on but sobriety is a good thing while skydiving.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

There are a lot of people who are far more of a danger to themselves and others just through their very nature, than people who are jumping stoned or drunk.

You really have no idea how to think in terms of anything other than black and white. You were in the military and you were a cop though, right? So I guess that explains it.

First, there are no shades of gray when your actions endanger others. I am not sure if you just don't understand this or if you just like to argue.

Second, yes I was in the military and proud of it. Just a wild guess, you were not, and probably shudder at the thought.

Third, no I was not a cop, I spent 30 years as a firefighter/paramedic dealing with the results of drunk/stoned drivers.

I'm sure my remark is shared by many, but I gotta PW and put in my 2 cents.

Smoking weed and drinking are the same in my eyes. Nobody at my DZ drinks till the beer light is on, and I assume it's the same way with smoking the reefer! I don't jump drunk or high. I have jumped hungover more than a few times though....:S

Since this is a troll

Later with that sissy Mary jane shit. It stinks, bad for the lungs, spend to much time at the snack bar.Need to much equipment to use it etc.:(

If you really want to enjoy a skydive ;)Acid aka LSD is more discreet, the colors are more vivid, The old DZ is now a new one all the jumpers on the load are new, airplane ride to altitude is a blast:S

Spot? Exit? no problemo B| Look Ma I can fly:)
Splat:S

R.I.P.