BravestDog

Marijuana and Skydiving. Good, bad, indifferent?

I am trying to get an idea of how jumpers view marijuana and it's effects on the mind in regards to skydiving. Here are some hypothetical scenarios that might occur on a drop zone.

1. You, personally smoking some before you jump by yourself or with a group?

2. You straight, and jumping with others who have smoked a few minutes before the flight?

3. You straight and other jumpers in the plane have smoked prior to the flight but you're not jumping with them, just riding up with them?

4. Has anyone ever smoked before jumping, had a malfunction or something unusual/dangerous happen and went into brain lock and then thought about it after being on the ground?

5. How about if you knew the pilot smoked prior to take off and you knew he was a seasoned, safe type pilot?

6. Any other scenarios re marijuana and jumping that I can't think of that you would like to add?

Again, I'm trying to get a feel for the acceptance or rejection of marijuana and it's use around skydiving.

You can remain annoymous by just posting hypothetical answers and not incriminating yourself.

Thanks.

Personally I don't think it's appropriate to be stoned and in the sky with the exception of the pilot. Not that I think it's wrong to smoke pot, but I wouldn't drink a sixer and jump either. I do however, think the pilot could probably do just fine with a toke. But that's just my newbie opinion for what it's worth.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I Won't jump with people who jump stoned, i think it is inapproriate, and unsafe, I knew someone who used to jumped stoned all the time, and he flew like crap, when he started jumping straight, his flying got so much better.
Also for instructors it stays in your system for up to 3 months, if something happens the dz takes the coming crap.
If people want to smoke outside skydiving thats there thing but please don't smoke and jump.
It's unsafe
thanks
Gary

Personally I don't think it's appropriate to be stoned and in the sky with the exception of the pilot. Not that I think it's wrong to smoke pot, but I wouldn't drink a sixer and jump either. I do however, think the pilot could probably do just fine with a toke. But that's just my newbie opinion for what it's worth.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a pilot especially, let alone other jumpers, to be stoned and on the same load as me...Do what you want the night before...but leave it at that...don't do it all during the day and jumping...A stoned pilot would be like having a drunk driver taking you to altitude...no thanks...:S
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

A friend of mine said marijuana's tagline should be "makes you stupid and lazy." That sounds like the two worst things for skydiving, and not much better for flying a plane full of people whose lives depend on you.

My friend's tagline statement was about marijuana use _in general_ - not just while directly under its effects.

YMMV; I will stick with fresh air, as fast as possible.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Sorry, but having known many stoned vs drunk drivers, I take the stoned any day. I would say the same applies to pilots, particularly when there's so much less around to hit. Overall, yeah, it isn't good for a pilot to be stoned, but better than drunk any day.

So those are the only 2 choices then, Benny? Drunk or stoned?

How about sober?

A stoned pilot may not be as likely to have a problem as a drunk one, that doesnt mean they are safe.

They arent safe. Drunk or stoned, they are mentally impaired and peoples lives are in their hands. Thats bad. Period.

Again, I'm trying to get a feel for the acceptance or rejection of marijuana and it's use around skydiving.

How about using common sense for fuck's sake? I will not get onto an airplane if I'm impaired and I certainly won't get onto an airplane with someone else that I know to be impaired. Period.>:(

It's just that simple. I guess it's true, you really can over-analyze anything these days. Stick to the simple common sense answer and always try to err on the side of safety. You'll go further.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

personally i think that is the dumbest thing you could do. i mean, you already are putting your life in enough danger, why add to it by slowing your reaction time down??

now, have i seen this done, yes. do i say anything, no, people can do as they want, it's not for me to stop them. now i will ask them, you sure you want to go make a jump? and i have talked people out of jumping at least for a while after smoking, but hey if they want to do it, just don't involve me, fuck up my dropzone by going in, or screw over my pilot and i'm fine with it ;)

later

Nah, over simplified. Sober pilot - good, stoned pilot - worse, drunk pilot, f-ing horrible... but our legal system would have the order switched a little, that's all I'm saying. Blahr, you always crack me up, every time I see your avatar I crack up

How about using common sense for fuck's sake? I will not get onto an airplane if I'm impaired and I certainly won't get onto an airplane with someone else that I know to be impaired. Period.>:(

It's just that simple. I guess it's true, you really can over-analyze anything these days. Stick to the simple common sense answer and always try to err on the side of safety. You'll go further.

A freaking men. IF you need to be stoned/impaired/buzzed or whatever to skydive or want to try it once like that, shit there is something really wrong with you. But like Kris said you cant over analyze things these days. I'm sure some have jumped while stoned or buzzed or whatever. I just wouldnt want to be anywhere near them. You're messing around with your life, mine and others at the DZ if you do decide to jump like that.

So those are the only 2 choices then, Benny? Drunk or stoned?

How about sober?

A stoned pilot may not be as likely to have a problem as a drunk one, that doesnt mean they are safe.

They arent safe. Drunk or stoned, they are mentally impaired and peoples lives are in their hands. Thats bad. Period.

Man, you put into words what I was trying to say! (THANKS!!) I don't want anyone stoned on the plane, period. Especially the pilot, who is in charge of all of our lives...benny, would you get on a plane with a stoned pilot? ::shiver::...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Ok, so maybe my choice would be not to get on a plane with a pilot who had just toked, but someone who is "a stoner" no problem. Definitely better than "a drunk" although not the best situation imaginable.

Hm, I read about an experienced skydiver who misjudged a swoop and died. Cannabis has serious effects on your depth perception.

I consider it unwise to smoke it at all. Even worse to do it prior to a skydive. You might up killing more people than yourself, so it's a pretty egotistical act.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Sorry, but having known many stoned vs drunk drivers, I take the stoned any day. I would say the same applies to pilots, particularly when there's so much less around to hit. Overall, yeah, it isn't good for a pilot to be stoned, but better than drunk any day.

You need a dose of reality. Stoned or drunk, there is no difference. Either way your ability to think and function is impaired. I spent 30 years picking up the end result of drunk and loaded drivers. The people they left dead did not see the difference you speak of.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Duuuude, the ground, it's moving so fas(WHACK)

Tower, I'm soooo wasted, how am I gonna land this thi(CRASH).

No thanks. I don't smoke the stuff, I don't think I'd get in the plane if either the pilot or the other jumpers were puffing beforehand. What people want to do afterwards if they are going to hang around the DZ without driving home, I'm not going to try and stop them.
And yes, I used to smoke the stuff a long time ago. Nothing better than a weekend star trek marathon and a few big fatties when I was in college.

What i think about is going in and my parents get the results of my autopsy and right there is evidence of smoking weed just prior to jumping. [:/]

It took me ages to explain how amazing this sport is, my reasons for doing it and just how safe it can be if done right.

They know i smoke at home but would i smoke before a skydive? Never.

safe skies
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I don't think recreational drugs of any sort, alcohol, cannabis or otherwise - are compatible with skydiving or in fact any sports where co-ordination and being able to think fast are a pre-requisite for your safety and that of those around you.

I think someone who smokes dope and then jumps must be a dick head. Likewise I would think the same of someone who is boozed up or with a bad hang-over who jumps.

If someone was intoxicated, drove a car and then killed themself in an accident - it's their call, fine. The problem is these people often end up killing innocent people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Skydiving is potentially the same.

Have a smoke if you want, have a drink, hey sounds great to me. But make sure you're straight, proper straight before you go hurling yourself out of planes.

IMHO.