Badabing

Experiences with Stowless Dbags?

I have a UPT stowless bag and like it a lot, i've put about 50 jumps on it since I installed the bag with no problems at all.

Last weekend however...I had a packer pack it, I watched her do it and it seemed fine but when i deployed it slammed open (hardest opening i've ever had on my canopy) and ended up with a spinning lineover and a reserve ride. I do remember watching her uncollapse and quarter the slider etc properly but I'm wondering if the way she stowed the lines and they come out of the bag had anything to do with it.

As there are 2 rubber bands to keep the canopy in the bag until the lines are out of the 'flap' i don't see how it could have opened out of sequence, unless the lines got snagged somewhere. I also remember her saying 'you don't have a lot of excess here' when she was putting the bag in the container but it didn't look too different to the way I do it.

I'm trying to ascertain the cause (if that's possible) to avoid it happening again. Normally I bungee the 2 stows as normal and then figure of eight the rest of the lines on the side of the bag (about 3 lots of 8 on top of each other), fold the flap over and that's it.

Any ideas??
It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the sudden stops!

I have a UPT stowless bag and like it a lot, i've put about 50 jumps on it since I installed the bag with no problems at all.

Last weekend however...I had a packer pack it, I watched her do it and it seemed fine but when i deployed it slammed open (hardest opening i've ever had on my canopy) and ended up with a spinning lineover and a reserve ride. I do remember watching her uncollapse and quarter the slider etc properly but I'm wondering if the way she stowed the lines and they come out of the bag had anything to do with it.

As there are 2 rubber bands to keep the canopy in the bag until the lines are out of the 'flap' i don't see how it could have opened out of sequence, unless the lines got snagged somewhere. I also remember her saying 'you don't have a lot of excess here' when she was putting the bag in the container but it didn't look too different to the way I do it.

I'm trying to ascertain the cause (if that's possible) to avoid it happening again. Normally I bungee the 2 stows as normal and then figure of eight the rest of the lines on the side of the bag (about 3 lots of 8 on top of each other), fold the flap over and that's it.

Any ideas??

I'm gonna have to say that this is a packing issue and has nothing to do with the stowless D bag. I see no way that the D bag could cause a line over. Not saying it's impossible but I find it highly improbable in this instance. Lineovers typically can be attributed to packing, ie: the person packing the canopy. Without more information about the event, this is my assumption. For the record, I have this same D bag in both of my rigs and have several hundred jumps on this D bag with out having experienced this issue. I think your packer is to blame for this one.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

3 jumps on my new bag from UPT with a Katana 135. 2 @ terminal, 1 hop and pop. All three jumps line stretch was fast (but not horrible), openings were on heading and smooth. I like it. I don't think the system is going to revolutionize skydiving: (I personally went to it b/c it's similar to a tail pocket on a BASE rig, intrigued me as a gear/mechanical geek and shortens time of line stretch (which I wanted with my Katana). A big problem with it is packers not being familiar with the system, which has already led to one reserve ride (according to the previous post...)
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Any ideas??

I'm with Lou on this one. I have two of the UPT bags with Katana 120's and have about 400 total jumps on them. I also put 75 jumps on a proto type before UPT released it to the market and have 100 jumps on one with a Velo 103.

The line stretch is quicker, which I like, and there is no bag dance during the line stretch phase, which is one of the big reasons I got the bags .

My locking stows are slightly longer than an inch (no more than 1 1/4) and I double stow the bands which are tandem bands.

I also figure 8 the lines and allow the stack to get slightly shorter with each turn. I don't do anything special and am a pretty quick packer.

I stow the lines up to 5-6 inches of my risers and then while putting the bag in the pack tray, I pull out exactly what I need to have the lines go down each side to the bottom corner of the tray and accross the bottom to the center.

This way I end up with exactly the right amount of excess line with no extra, which is one of the things I like about this bag.

I use packers for about 80% of my jumps including video. I've had to show packers how to stow the lines but after one or two times and then monitoring one or two times they have all been golden. Zero hard openings and zero malfunctions. I even use packers at events and anytime they are not familiar with the bag they learn very quickly.

I think your line over was due to the way the canopy was packed and put into the bag and had nothing to do with the bag itself.

I would strongly recommend the UPT bag. Best openings ever.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I just ordered the VSE Party Bag for my Infinity. Looking forward to jumping in the New Year.

I'll report back here when I have enough jumps to have an opinion, but everyone else's experiences seems to be very positive.

I never use a packer so I don't have any concerns about this, but that would be my only worry (particularly as I jump a pull-out, too - that's a not a good combination for packers!).