peacefuljeffrey

Any Spyderco or Benchmade knife owners among the skydivers?

Now, does anyone have any Strider Knives?

i used to have waaay too many strider knives, sold them all to get through aff.
i had at one time or another
2 MH's
3 MT's
2 GB's
3 AR'S
2 SA's
MG
MSC 7.5
3 D-9s (one totally custom)
but of all of them the only one i miss is the D-AL i loved that knife:(

attached is the remnants of my knife collection, of all the knives that i used to own i think the best value knives are spyderco and swamprat.

I actually am half owner of a business that sells both Spyderco and Benchmade (www.specialoperatorsgear.com). Both great companies, but when it counts, I always trust a benchmade. My automatic tanto blade has never failed me yet....

Skydiving isn't scary;...but clowns...CLOWNS are scary!

Lets see. I think I cover all your bases.

I have a couple of Spiderco's - a big Civilian which I carry quite a bit, and a smaller one on my tac gear. the Civilian is big and intimidating.

A couple of Benchmade's - a CQC-6 and a Darkstar, both that I carry occasionally.

A few high-end custom folders that I dont carry cuz they're too pretty and too expensive (I'd cry if I lost one). My current fav is a new one I got from Theuns Prinsloo, kifemaker out of South Africa. Its Beautiful!

Got a few custom swords but you didnt ask about swords...

JC

Lets see. I think I cover all your bases.

I have a couple of Spiderco's - a big Civilian which I carry quite a bit, and a smaller one on my tac gear. the Civilian is big and intimidating.

A couple of Benchmade's - a CQC-6 and a Darkstar, both that I carry occasionally.

A few high-end custom folders that I dont carry cuz they're too pretty and too expensive (I'd cry if I lost one). My current fav is a new one I got from Theuns Prinsloo, kifemaker out of South Africa. Its Beautiful!

Got a few custom swords but you didnt ask about swords...

JC

KEWL! I just received a new Dark Star only two days ago, of course I had to put a real edge on it last night because for some reason some Benchmades don't come real sharp. I love the name of that knife, that's really why I got this one in particular. I have the DVD movie "Dark Star," John Carpenter's first movie (s.f. spoof). Also there's a Grateful Dead song by that name, although I don't actually know the song.

Here's a list from memory of the knives I have currently:
6 or 7 Spyderco Delicas, some combo, straight, old plastic clip, new metal clip, one in blue FRNR
1 Spyderco Walker Linerlock
2 Spyderco Vesuvius'
1 Spyderco Bill Moran Featherweight
1 Spyderco Copilot
1 Spyderco Navigator
1 Spyderco Military (combo edge)
1 Spyderco Gunting (combo edge)
1 Benchmade Nimravus Cub
2 Benchmade Mini-Griptilians (combo edge)
1 Benchmade Dark Star
1 Benchmade 100SH2O dive knife (yellow hi-bright handles)
1 Cold Steel Spike neck knife
1 Benchmade TK-1 tether knife (neck carry)
2 CRKT Neck Pecks (neck carry)
1 Becker Knife and Tool CU-7 large-ish camp knife
1 Ontario Spec-Plus Navy knife
1 Leatherman Wave
1 Leatherman Squirt
2 Timberline Mini Pit Bulls
1 Kershaw Vapor
1 Kershaw Vapor II (*nasty* serrations on that one)
1 Buck 110 (a classic, I guess)
1 "Air Force" knife -- early one-handed-opener with a big tab for the thumb to move
2 Buck Gent mini folders
1 Swiss Army (Victorinox) unknown model, numerous tools
1 Swiss Army (Victorinox) Timberland? (unsure of model name) has thumb hole w/ lock blade (edit: it's called the "Trailmaster.")

Geez, seeing this list makes me wonder why I feel like I still need more knives! Have never bought a custom because I don't want to spend money on something I'd never ever entertain the thought of using (although some of my moderate knives listed above never see use).

I plan to use the overpayment balance my dentist alerted me to for a Spyderco ATR, which may be the last knife I buy for a good long while, except maybe for a Chris Reeve Sebenza. I just wish the Sebenza had a Spyder-hole; then it would be the absolute perfect knife.

Glad to see that so many skydivers know, own and use so many good knives.

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I like Spiderco, and have carried on and off for a few years now.

I like the Endura(Spyder-edge) for outdoors, although it can be a little intimidating when handed to someone to peel an apple.

The delica with a straight edge is a nice pocket knife for a suit.

I like the ladybird and the dragonfly too. Tiny, but an edge is an edge.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I carry a Delica every day, clipped to my waistband with the clip under my belt. It is almost invisible.

I have a MOD Hornet, also, but it was so fvkkin expensive that I never carry it. I used to have a MOD CQD, but I lost it (explaining my hesitation to carry the Hornet).

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Man, this one surprised me more than the posts about guns...although,as you say,

Skydivers tend to be up-to-speed on the latest and greatest gear

And those blue handled knives were amazing....But what do you all mean by 'daily carry knife'??

I could see having one of those hook knives mentioned.....

But 'peacefuljeffery', what is your 'peaceful' motivation for such a large collection? Just curious, not being sarcastic here guys...

marc

Man, this one surprised me more than the posts about guns...although,as you say,

Skydivers tend to be up-to-speed on the latest and greatest gear

And those blue handled knives were amazing....But what do you all mean by 'daily carry knife'??

I could see having one of those hook knives mentioned.....

But 'peacefuljeffery', what is your 'peaceful' motivation for such a large collection? Just curious, not being sarcastic here guys...

marc

You just reminded me: I forgot to list that I have a Benchmade Rescue Hook. The only reason I don't have it on my rig is that the nylon sheath it comes with does NOT -- repeat NOT -- hold the knife securely. It is possible for it to fall sideways out the side of the sheath where there is a gap. If I find a better sheath I'll put it on my chest strap where I currently have a cheap hook knife that my rig was sold to me with.

As far as "peaceful" motivation to have knives, or "so many" knives...
There is no non-peaceful implication to owning, carrying and using knives as far as I'm concerned. Peacefulness and knife/gun ownership are not mutually exclusive. It's all in the intent, my man, all in the intent. I don't go about harming people. I stand ready to do harm in defense of my safety and my life, but not preemptively, no sir.

Most people you know have very lethal knives with blades longer than six inches -- of a kind used with great frequency to kill others. Yes, I'm talking about ordinary kitchen knives. No one questions the peacefulness of someone who has an 8 inch bladed chef's knife, but that'd be a more lethal knife than my Spyderco "Military."

Personally, I admire the utility, sleek lines and durability and craftsmanship in a quality knife. You should see that Gunting I listed. The think is built like a tank! I also forgot to list my Benchmade AFCK, which has gorgeous lines.

I hope your curiousity is satisfied.

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

A knife is like an American Express Card...you just don't leave home without atleast one.

The Spyderco I've been carrying everyday for 8 years or so has a couple of uses. One, its my backup weapon (atleast for the past 3 years its been my "backup" weapon). Its my primary weapon in locations it can't be my backup. And its a tool, that I use for everyday chores.

Hell, half the time you'll find me with 2+ knives on different locations on my body. But that's just me, since if I dropped my Spyderco, I'd like to have the CRKT Kiss Stiletto under my shirt and quick at hand, or I'd have another one of my Spydercos in my waist band.

You know, if I have to draw my knife for self-defense, something else has gone terribly terribly wrong. That's why its a backup and I haven't had to draw it for self defense reasons. I use it quite a bit to cut whatever needs to be cut on a daily basis (so that's why I'm having to sharpen my Spydy every couple of weeks...:P)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

its my backup weapon (atleast for the past 3 years its been my "backup" weapon). Its my primary weapon in locations it can't be my backup.

This brings up a good point and I'm not picking on you in particular Dave but throwing this out as food for thought.

A lot of people carry knives on them for various reasons, some ultilitarian and others for defense, some for both. IMO, a knife is a tool just like a gun is a tool. If you don't know how to use a tool properly, you could potentially hurt yourself or worse. Fighting with a knife is a skill that must be learned and practiced just like shooting. If you plan on using a knife for any reason, the time to figure things out is not when your life may depend on it. I can tell you right now there are people who are not intimidated by knives or the aspect of being cut or killed. Myself and my team are fortunate enough to have the best people on the planet at our disposal for training and I know for a fact that none of them would be intimidated if they found themselves looking at the pointy end of a knife. However, what could of ended up as a fist fight now has the possibilities of all involved getting cut, stabbed or killed. For someone not afraid of a knife it could very well mean that person is now going to use your knife or his own on you instead of just fist fighting with you.Pulling out a knife may not end the situation, it may escalate it in some cases. Food for thought.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Good point!

That's why I've been properly taught in knife fighting and have had a LOT of training in knife defense.

I know that if I'm in a knife fight, I'm getting cut, I'm just trying to get the other guy cut much worst and faster then me.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."