93zx11

Need minor rigging help in PA

Hey all,

I have been trying to find a professional rigger, but to no avail with the winter and all. I just need a small 2x2 patch and some velcro sewn on (already have the old velcro taken off.)

Anyone in the PA/OH/WV area who has a sewing machine and some rigging knowledge that would be willing to help? I am in pittsburgh and can travel a good bit... and I pay cash.

Thanks!

Try Handsome Dave at Paraloft (Elizabethtown). He might not do it, but he can put you in touch with someone who will.

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Call Skydive PA and ask for Moe Viletto

Maybe he's looking for someone more professional than Dave DeWolfe or Moe Viletto. I'm not sure what planet you have to go to find a more professional rigger than either of those guys, but maybe that's what he wants.

Maybe he limtied his search to the yellow pages under 'Riggers', or 'Professional Riggers'? He surely couldn't have called any DZ in the area and been refered to one of those two guys, or any of the other half-dozen riggers in the SW PA.

Fuckin BASE jumpers. They don't need no stinking skydiving until something goes wrong, or they need some new equipment. Then is all 'I need a rigger, I need a rigger' or, 'I need a skydiving rig manufacturer to design and test new designs and technology'. After that, it's right back to, 'I don't need no stinking skydiving'.

Oh, let's not forget about the times they want to break in a wingsuit, then they need a DZ to lie to about their jump numbers so they can jump it out of their airplane.

Call Skydive PA and ask for Moe Viletto

Maybe he's looking for someone more professional than Dave DeWolfe or Moe Viletto. I'm not sure what planet you have to go to find a more professional rigger than either of those guys, but maybe that's what he wants.

Maybe he limtied his search to the yellow pages under 'Riggers', or 'Professional Riggers'? He surely couldn't have called any DZ in the area and been refered to one of those two guys, or any of the other half-dozen riggers in the SW PA.

Fuckin BASE jumpers. They don't need no stinking skydiving until something goes wrong, or they need some new equipment. Then is all 'I need a rigger, I need a rigger' or, 'I need a skydiving rig manufacturer to design and test new designs and technology'. After that, it's right back to, 'I don't need no stinking skydiving'.

Oh, let's not forget about the times they want to break in a wingsuit, then they need a DZ to lie to about their jump numbers so they can jump it out of their airplane.

Wow, misplaced childhood anger much?

Nope, not misplaced. I don't like the OP, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to point out some of his shortcomings.

He posted in several threads with some very strong opinions, contrary to what more experienced jumpers might think. He then went on to defend those opinions with a very cavalier attitude toward safety, and skydiving in general. He statesd several times that skydiving was 'uncool' because of some rules or regualtions, and that BASE jumping was the answer.

He then admitted to lying to a DZO in order to jump a wingsuit when he had less than the reccomended 200 jumps, and even suggested that same course of action to another junior jumper. There's a case of skydivign suddenly being good enough for him when he wanted to try out a wing suit.

Then, he posted because he lacked the expereince to tell if his three rings had been properly built. Again, he turned to 'uncool' skydivers for help because somehow us rule-laden jumpers know more about gear than he does.

Finally, it's this rigger issue. He's in Pittsburg, within shouting distance of the legendary DPRE Dave DeWolfe, and long time, highly-regarded master rigger Moe Viletto, and the guy has to post online, again falling back on the skydivers he belittled, looking for help locating a rigger. None of this mentions the 6 or 8 other riggers living in or around Pittsburgh.

So yeah, some anger, but not related to childhood and not misplaced. I just have no patience for those who want to show up and act like an ass, and then turn around and expect help, sometimes even with remedial topics like proper assembly of a 3 ring. So if he wants to act that way, I'll be sure to call him out on it every time.

My bet is that the guy has around 100 or 120 jumps total, probably has never jumped anything but a Manta, and probabaly doesn't even know how to pro-pack. Despite that, he wants to act like a big shot, so let him try and then watch him fail.

Nope, not misplaced. I don't like the OP, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to point out some of his shortcomings.

He posted in several threads with some very strong opinions, contrary to what more experienced jumpers might think. He then went on to defend those opinions with a very cavalier attitude toward safety, and skydiving in general. He statesd several times that skydiving was 'uncool' because of some rules or regualtions, and that BASE jumping was the answer.

He then admitted to lying to a DZO in order to jump a wingsuit when he had less than the reccomended 200 jumps, and even suggested that same course of action to another junior jumper. There's a case of skydivign suddenly being good enough for him when he wanted to try out a wing suit.

Then, he posted because he lacked the expereince to tell if his three rings had been properly built. Again, he turned to 'uncool' skydivers for help because somehow us rule-laden jumpers know more about gear than he does.

Finally, it's this rigger issue. He's in Pittsburg, within shouting distance of the legendary DPRE Dave DeWolfe, and long time, highly-regarded master rigger Moe Viletto, and the guy has to post online, again falling back on the skydivers he belittled, looking for help locating a rigger. None of this mentions the 6 or 8 other riggers living in or around Pittsburgh.

So yeah, some anger, but not related to childhood and not misplaced. I just have no patience for those who want to show up and act like an ass, and then turn around and expect help, sometimes even with remedial topics like proper assembly of a 3 ring. So if he wants to act that way, I'll be sure to call him out on it every time.

My bet is that the guy has around 100 or 120 jumps total, probably has never jumped anything but a Manta, and probabaly doesn't even know how to pro-pack. Despite that, he wants to act like a big shot, so let him try and then watch him fail.

Right on buddy.

When are we doing a jump together?

+10 on Moe Viletto! I remember when he'd purchase every new rig that came out on the market (skydiving & B.A.S.E.) and then proceed to take them apart piece by piece. He called it a rig autopsy. Then he'd point out the design flaws, construction weaknesses, and sometimes things that were outright dangerous.

I'm a rigger but nowhere near Moe's league. And I've often thought the FAA needed to add another level of rigger rating for guys like him. There should be Senior, Master, and Wizard Riggers!

NickD :)

+10 on Moe Viletto! I remember when he'd purchase every new rig that came out on the market (skydiving & B.A.S.E.) and then proceed to take them apart piece by piece. He called it a rig autopsy. Then he'd point out the design flaws, construction weaknesses, and sometimes things that were outright dangerous.

I'm a rigger but nowhere near Moe's league. And I've often thought the FAA needed to add another level of rigger rating for guys like him. There should be Senior, Master, and Wizard Riggers!

I had some questions once and you pointed me in Moe's direction, after talking with him for 15 minutes I walked away with not only the answer, but harsh realization that I didn't even KNOW what I didn't know!

...and he was nice about it! B|:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The interesting thing about the OP...is that I've offered up my time to help the OP get in contact with Moe, and he has not even bothered to drop me an email. So, with that being said, guess he really didn't need the help after all. And yeah, BTW, Moe is good people all the way around. Offer off the table OP. Later.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Right on buddy.

When are we doing a jump together?

As soon as you get a clue, and start being honest with yourself, DZOs, and the jumpers around you. I'm guessing it will be 3 to 5 years.

Mad skillz 4 life.

careful what ya wish for~

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

This site drives me nuts.....the pissing contests you need to sort thru for information leaves me feeling dirty half the time.

Hey Mark, Michael gave the dude my number last Friday and he called me. I passed him along to Moe that day because my machines are torn down and scattered all over the place right now....my new shop is awaiting the power company to give me juice so I can get my shit set back up....should be this week. YAY! You'll need to take a ride down here and check it out....you'll be impressed. :)
Hey Dave, the Handsome One is 4 freekin hours from here.....if you can shout that loud, remind me not to go out drinking with ya! ;)

Chill folks. Happy Holidays.

Do you know where your tools are?

Tom, I was also thinking about you as well when I offered up my assistance to help him get in touch with Moe. But he never emailed me, so I figured that he had the problem resolved, or had gotten in touch with someone.

Get the juice on dude. I'll be expecting a cold one out of the cooler! The flying is on the shelf for now, haven't made that many jumps, but both the bikes got some miles on them this summer. Is your's still in stitches as well? (pun intended).

Later.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

>>I walked away with not only the answer, but harsh realization that I didn't even KNOW what I didn't know!
Over the years I've heard some innovative, even funny, names for people's rigging businesses. But I always thought Moe's "Tailored for Survival" was the best one. We had a good laugh one night when I asked him what names didn't make the cut and he told me he almost named it "Sewn for Safety" LOL!