skydivingdutch

Do any of you SCUBA-dive?

It seems almost every skydiver I know is also a SCUBA diver, but not the other way around.
I realize we might have a biased answer on #2.

I myself am Advanced certified. Cold diving here in the NW!
I like it because it's a foreign environment and get to use cool gear, and its relaxing, much more slow-pacced than skydiving. Looking at the amazing aquatic life down there is awesome.

http://dropman.com

I was a skydiver before I was a scuba diver. I had to quit scuba because I lost my balance for 3 months due to an inner ear problem. Skydiving is better anyway, but I'm very glad I got to see some of the underwater world (Red Sea...)

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Started with Scuba (I'm also PADI advanced open water), then skydiving. In fact I skydive much more than scubadive because we don't have nice places to Scubadive in Uruguay so I do it when I travel. Both are great sports, essentially different but they must have something in common for so many skydivers to scubadive! May be it is the individual sense of accomplishment of defying nature and be immersed in such beautiful scenery in water and in air.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Had a nasty low cutaway from a mal....If you are ever in Zhills I'll show it to you if you ask.

So I really thought about quitting jumping...I started SCUBA and went SCUBA divinga lmost every day for about 6 mths...I went from nothing to Master in 5 mths.

Now I do both.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Started scuba diving after I had 1,000 skydives.
Loved snorkeling and shallow scuba in Cuban waters. Hated all the extra gear and numb fingers when diving in cold Canadian lakes.
Tried working for a dry suit manufacturer for a few months, but would only get back into scuba if I moved to a warmer climate.

Military? US Army Combat Dive Supervisor
Civilian? Padi Dive Master, Advanced Open Water. Both obtained by virtue of my military ratings.

I like diving, but having done if for 16 years of my career in some very, very nice spots (Cozumel, Roatan, all over the Keys, Antigua, Barbuda, St. Kitts, Nevis, Barbados, Cuba, Spain, Panama), I just don't feel the need to lug any gear around anymore. For every super-scenic recreation dive I ever did, I have a story about some ship-bottom search in incredibly murky water, some body recovery in the Chagris River, or some circle-line search looking for an M-16 that some idiot dropped on an infil dive. I just don't get a lot of satisfaction from it anymore.

Chuck

I'm not "current" scuba diver, now.
Most of my diving is Channel Islands (Ca)
Deer Creek & Leo Carillo beach dives
And once at Catalina Islands (little too far and expensive trip for me) I like it local, where I live.
SSI Open Water
Been on a wreck dive once.
I would love to get into underwater video. It has always been a thought/dream to have my scuba diving pay for my skydiving..Unfortunately $ and procastination (a little) has detered that goal as of now.

Got SCUBA liscenced years before jumping, but could never affort to go on vacation anywhere exotic. Finally did one ocean dive a couple years ago in the BVI's, to a shipwreck called the Rhone. I have also noticed the Jump/SCUBA thing at my DZ. Just a few weeks ago some of us went to the local Dive place and farted around in the pool with tanks on. Something to do when it's 15 degrees outside and the DZ is closed.

I am in advanced scuba, doing my dives this comming weekend in hoodsport washington.
the second half of the term is going to be rescue
and then spring and summer I will be going to do the divemaster classes.:)

Since I'm from Kansas I don't get to scuba dive very often, but I just got back from Paradise Island and I got to do some awesome dives. The dive shop was the old set for flipper which was pretty cool. Anyway, I got to go on a couple wall dives, one dive which was a huge reef with lots of fish and I shark dive where we had about 30-50 7 foot long sharks swimming around us in a feeding frenzy (they told us it would be a good idea to keep your arms crossed and fingers hidden). Scuba diving is awesome, its more of a soothing kinda sport than jumping though.

Been SCUBA diving for over 20 years
PADI & CMAS Instructor. Have done rescue work as a diver as well as lots of different climate dives
It's like a form of meditation for me:)And as a Biologist, I tend to piss ppl off who dive with me, because i don';t swim around much (there is no need). I study animals and plants underwater:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've been a certified scuba diver for about 7 years , did lots of diving/spear fishing in the gulf of mexico on the oil rigs. Its fun but can be somewhat dangerous had a few close calls while spear fishing. Now that I live in florida i'm looking foward to doing some lobster diving this upcomming season. Now if I can just get this AFF class underway i'd be happy.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I did my first SCUBA dive 40 years ago.. long before I started jumping out of airplanes. I still have my old original Healthways twin hose( freeflowing when your head goes below the tank) regulator. My grandfather thought it would be a good idea to teach us how to dive so we could scrape the bottoms of customers boats so they did not have to be pulled from the water.

I made a few dives up here in this cold ass water but even though its beautiful with all the anemones and other marine life... its just too cold. My idea of a good place to dive does not include a drysuit... BC 50 pounds of weights etc.
I prefer a bathing suit topped with a tshirt topped with the harness and tank..and a safety vest and Mask, fins and snorkle.. a knife/tool, maybe a bang stick depending on the body of water. Usually I can get neutral bouyancy with all of that and about 3 to 5 pounds of lead on the weight belt.

If the water temp is not around 75 to 85 degrees I am SOOOO not interested anymore.

Like NCrowe, I do some spearfishing. Tried scuba but got bored / cold very quickly. Started spearfishing and love it. Like skydiving, it requires committment, focus and a bit of grit to get results.

Problem is that unlike spearfishing, skydiving requires shitloads of cash. Anyways, I love to spearfish and lobster dive here in san diego. It is the best.