Emmie

PD Reserve vs. Optimum

Hi guys,

Just got a new container, and need a new reserve. When I originally ordered the container (Micron, v 310) I was going to go with an Optimum 143. However, at this point, I think I want to save a few hundred bucks and go with a PD 143 reserve. The main I have is going to be a tight fit as it is (Pilot 150), wondering if fitting a PDR 143 is going to be an issue considering the size of the main.

Pack volume aside, are there any dramatic differences between the two reserves? I demoed an Optimum 143, and it flew like a main. However, my last reserve ride was 9 years ago while on student status, so it's not like I have a lot of reserve rides to compare that to.

Any thoughts?

Hi guys,

Just got a new container, and need a new reserve. When I originally ordered the container (Micron, v 310) I was going to go with an Optimum 143. However, at this point, I think I want to save a few hundred bucks and go with a PD 143 reserve. The main I have is going to be a tight fit as it is (Pilot 150), wondering if fitting a PDR 143 is going to be an issue considering the size of the main.

Pack volume aside, are there any dramatic differences between the two reserves? I demoed an Optimum 143, and it flew like a main. However, my last reserve ride was 9 years ago while on student status, so it's not like I have a lot of reserve rides to compare that to.

Any thoughts?

I don't think the PD 143 is going to work in a 310. The sizing chart on UPT shows 348 for that combo. The 310 would be very tight. That rig will feel like a brick on your back, not to mention you would be putting alot of unecessary strain on the container.
I'd go with the Optimum 143. It does fly and land better than the PD reserve also.

I have a v310 with a PDR 143 and Sabre 150 main (even fit my 170 in there for a few jumps). I haven't had any issues getting the main in there. I can send you some pictures if your curious how bulky it would be.

As far as PDR vs. Optimum flight characteristics go, I have not flown either one;)

I don't think the PD 143 is going to work in a 310. The sizing chart on UPT shows 348 for that combo. The 310 would be very tight. That rig will feel like a brick on your back, not to mention you would be putting alot of unecessary strain on the container.
I'd go with the Optimum 143. It does fly and land better than the PD reserve also.

I have attached the sizing chart from UPT
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I checked the UPT site again just to make sure I wasn't looking at the wrong info, The V310 shows a full fit with a Pilot 140. That would make the Pilot 150 a tight fit. The reserve says PD 143 is standard fit. So both together might make it a pretty tight fit for the 2. Have you bought your Pilot yet. You could consider the ZPX option to make it a bit smaller.

She is asking about the reserve not the main hense the title of the thread " PD Reserve vs. Optimum"

I understand what she was asking. The fact of the matter is what you put in one, affects the fit of the other. Thats what I've found when repacking a reserve. When you put an appropriately sized reserve in the container and an oversized main in its container excess strain is placed on both.

Here is a pack volume chart from paragear Pilot 150 339 Cubic Inchs, Sabre 2 150 pack Volume of 338 Cubic inchs. I understand that UPT states the Pilot 150 should have a different size container but I really do not think 1 Cubic Inch would make that much difference.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Hi guys,

Any thoughts?

Hi Emmie, there is some disagreement here on what would be an appropriate choice. I suggest calling UPT directly and getting their opinion. 386-736-7589

I have a Micron V310 with an Optimum 143 Reserve and a Samurai 136. I also have a Mirage G4 MT with a Optimum126 and a Pilot 124 (My wing suit rig). I can tell you from experience that my 124 Pilot packs up a litlle snug compared to a Katana 120 I had in this rig, It also depends if you jump in a dry climate. Compared to Houston, It is drier here in Dallas and the Optimum just fits better in my Micron and the container doesn't feel like a brick on my back. Pilots made out of the regular ZP material pack up bigger that those made out of ZPX. The largest regular Pilot I could probably put in my Micron would be a 132 or maybe a 140. without the container feeling like a brick. With a regular Pilot 150 the Optimum 143 would be a better choice. Your rigger will appreciate it and you or your packer will also. A Pilot 150 out of ZPX would fit the container nicely also.

Thanks for all of your comments guys. Just got off the phone with Greg at UPT, who helped me order the rig and is familiar with my canopy. Looks like I have to stick with the Optimum. I think the reason I could get away with a smaller container considering the pack volume of my main is because the Optimum 143 packs up so much smaller than the PDR, and would have been a loose fit, allowing the main to fit better. He said I could get a PDR143 in the container, but, it would be a tight fit, and would feel like a brick on my back.

Yea... UTP folks know the PD canopies very well... the companies are so close, their owners have to share the same first name ;):D

Both great companies with good products whether used together or with other companies products.

Advice here is free and worth every penny, but a call to the mfg is always a good final step.
JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I'd personally go with the optimum because of the higher resale value

Optimums have a higher resale value because they cost more...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

DUH!
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

DUH!

So your original post saying it has a higher resell value due to it being more expensive to begin with deserves an even bigger DUH! The OP said it was more expensive so there was no reason for you to state the obvious. Except maybe to add a comment to every post, especially those where you have limited knowledge.

Sigh, just broke my own rule and fed a troll.[:/]
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

DUH!

I would expect them to retain a bit higher percentage of their original value over time. The optimums have advantages that are desirable, and someone on a budget that wants one (but can't afford new) might be willing to pay a premium (in terms of percentage of original cost) when considering a used reserve.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A PD Optimum 143 has a different volume than the PD reserve 143. If you want a good looking container and keep your rigger happy, you should maybe make an effort to stick with your first choice.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi guys,

Just got a new container, and need a new reserve. When I originally ordered the container (Micron, v 310) I was going to go with an Optimum 143. However, at this point, I think I want to save a few hundred bucks.....

Any thoughts?

If you're going to buy a new container and need a new reserve, you should get something that's going to make you happy for a long time. We'd all like to save a few hundred bucks, but if you're already commited to the price of a new rig and need that new reserve, spend the money and get something you're going to love. You can for sure get some really good PD reserves on the used market, with a rigger's inspection of course. And it's a great reserve, the one time I've used mine I was really impressed with how it flew. But everything I hear about the Opti is so much better - so why not have the BEST ? I mean it's YOUR life the thing is going to save. Then if you need to, sell your Pilot and order one in ZPX fabric for the smaller fit.

Bottom line is a.) first it has to be safe, and b.) you want it to keep you happy for years to come and not wishing you'd bought something else when you had the chance. Bite the bullet and get the Opti.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Emmie,

My wife has a V310 that has a PDR 143 and a Sabre2 150 and the fit is perfect. In fact, when she first got the rig, we put my Pilot 168 in it for about 50 jumps for transitional reasons. It was a tight fit but not as tight as you might think. And I was amazed by this considering the UPT sizing chart claimed that the max sized Pilot a V310 would take safely is the 140.

Hope that helps.
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

ok ok ok I might get flamed by the "PD is so awesome I'm going to cry" crowd, but here goes ~

My only concern with the optimum (I've only packed about 20 of them) is the longevity of the fabric. Yes, it weighs less, but it is thinner and I am curious how it will wear. the optimum is very new still ~ what will they look like in 10 years? I think only time will tell this one...
=========Shaun ==========

ok ok ok I might get flamed by the "PD is so awesome I'm going to cry" crowd, but here goes ~

My only concern with the optimum (I've only packed about 20 of them) is the longevity of the fabric. Yes, it weighs less, but it is thinner and I am curious how it will wear. the optimum is very new still ~ what will they look like in 10 years? I think only time will tell this one...

As I was reading this post this very question popped into my head and then....voila......you asked it. Well, if Optimums start blowing up in the future we'll have our answer. That is if we don't see any evidence of damage or wear during repacks.