Emmie

PD Reserve vs. Optimum

As I was reading this post this very question popped into my head and then....voila......you asked it. Well, if Optimums start blowing up in the future we'll have our answer. That is if we don't see any evidence of damage or wear during repacks.

Oh I wasn't thinking they'd blow up with age, I'm just wondering that a 10 year old Optimum and a 10 year-old PD will look like side by side, adjusting for all the other factors... .
=========Shaun ==========

Oh I wasn't thinking they'd blow up with age, I'm just wondering that a 10 year old Optimum and a 10 year-old PD will look like side by side, adjusting for all the other factors... .

I was thinking along the same lines as well. I was just being facetious:ph34r: I wonder what a pull test would reveal at that time.

well since the same fabric is used in base canopys also, i think there are no concerns.
i've seen lightweigt canopys with 300+ jumps, worked fine.
i also don't believe in the tears easier theory. i've seen treelandings on ultralights, the held up just fine. and i mean full on, complete bodyweight suspended treelandings. the canopy had just minor holes and was jumped again. without slider.
i think the tighter weave is actually better.
but only time will tell deninitely.

well since the same fabric is used in base canopys also, i think there are no concerns.
i've seen lightweigt canopys with 300+ jumps, worked fine.
i also don't believe in the tears easier theory. i've seen treelandings on ultralights, the held up just fine. and i mean full on, complete bodyweight suspended treelandings. the canopy had just minor holes and was jumped again. without slider.
i think the tighter weave is actually better.
but only time will tell deninitely.

Wasn't there recently a thread (or an existing older thread that got a new post) about a lightweight fabric tearing in a BASE application?

Why don't you just ask PD. It's not like they just tossed this fabric on reserves with no testing.

They had the OP on the tour for several years.

I put 6 jumps on an OP143 in 2006 that had over a hundred jumps on the canopy.

It opened and flew great. I was even able to get a decent swoop out of it.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

i know.
you can argue if that was a fabric issue or applicatin problem of a static line setup.
i can only tell of my experiences, as i have inspected lightweight fabric right after a treelanding etc.
strangely i have yet to pack a optimum. it is pretty much the only square reserve i haven't packed yet.

edit: besides, canopys just do funky stuff now and then.i don't have to tell you that. so one case says nothing at all.

ok ok ok I might get flamed by the "PD is so awesome I'm going to cry" crowd, but here goes ~

My only concern with the optimum (I've only packed about 20 of them) is the longevity of the fabric. Yes, it weighs less, but it is thinner and I am curious how it will wear. the optimum is very new still ~ what will they look like in 10 years? I think only time will tell this one...

the paratec speed reserve is also lightweight, and +/- should have been in use for around 10yrs. the guys i know that jump them, and the riggers around here, STILL recommend that (lightweight) reserve over all others.. so i dont think the optimum will hold up any worse to that!

of course, that is only speculation, but anyway..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Anyone have any insight or info regarding if/or when the Optimum will go back to its original 300lb max exit weight from the 160 and up?
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

When John LeBlanc said that it was a reason he wouldn't go into and that it was due to bureaucracies.....it's believed it was merely due to the new guy....(in achmed the dead terrorist voice) otherwise it would have most likely been at 300lb max exit weight

Just wondering if they are still pushing for it to be TSO from the 160 and above

Just wondering if they are still pushing for it to be TSO from the 160 and above

They got it, a while ago... I don't wanna pull mine out of its plastic bag to check the DOM...

Need to hurry up and get my ticket and install the damn thing. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

They got it, a while ago... I don't wanna pull mine out of its plastic bag to check the DOM...

Actually what I meant was that I was wondering if they are still pushing to get the max exit weight to be 300lbs from the 160 and above as they have previously advertised

Actually what I meant was that I was wondering if they are still pushing to get the max exit weight to be 300lbs from the 160 and above as they have previously advertised

They're certified under TSO C23d, with the max suspended weight (on the OP-253) being 290 lbs.

Clicky
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message