SEREJumper

Anybody from Chicago missing a custom Spectre 150?

Red/White/Black PD Spectre 150 with custom "Ladybug" design on the bottom skin.

Someone is trying to sell it cheap, I'm 99% positive it's a cutaway and they are just trying to get some money out of it.

I'll let anyone know the contact info, if it will help the owner get it back.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Good eye !!! Another thing we jumpers should consider is taking a pic of our gear when we buy new or used. Take a pic of the gear with the serial number and a time/date stamp. It should help in getting equipment back in a case like this. Thats proff you can't argue with. Good luck......
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

So the canopy you found on Craigslist did in fact belong to Ladybug. We were competing at Nationals and she had to cut it away.
After the cutaway she pleaded with the dropzone to help her find it, but unfortunately since Nationals was going on they refused :(
She contacted the authorities and they set up a sting to catch the guy (and they did).
The police are shipping her canopy back to it's rightful owner.
Ladybug does not have a dropzone.com account and wanted me to tell you how grateful she is to you and everyone else who helped her get her "ladybug" back!!
It's truly amazing how skydivers look out for their own kind.
You have no idea how happy you have made her.

She contacted the authorities and they set up a sting to catch the guy (and they did).

AWESOME!!!! That made my day! The guy didn't sound like a scum bag, but he also didn't make an honest effort to find out who the owner was.

He did say "his uncle gave it to him", although that sounds pretty fishy. He lives near SDC, so anyone with any situational awareness and integrity would have brought it by there to see if someone had lost it. He may have even gotten a small reward if he was upfront about it (I know I would give someone reward if they returned my canopy).

So glad she is getting it back!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

>What should a DZ do in your opinion to help find a cutaway canopy?

When Tim has time he will often drive around the outback looking for canopies, freebags etc. But things like driving students/jumpers back from long spots take priority.

well when you have 5 otters running its pretty hard for staff to go and look for a canopy.

Well, I would completely understand the policy that if an event is going on and you have 5 Otters running that you don't pull staff away from the event to look for it.
However, it should be a consistent policy throughout the event.
Ladybug offered the dz money to send someone up after the event was over but they declined. She even made maps and roughly knew the vicinity of it.
NOW what really kinda disappointed me was that when "certain people" have cutaways (and I'm not getting into who other then they were on one of the prestigious teams) they sent a Cessna up for it right away while the event was still going on.
Don't get me wrong, absolutely nothing against the dz. It's one of the best. It was just a bit disappointing to find out that if you aren't on one of the world recognized teams then you are SOL. Again, if you're going to have a policy like that then be consistent with everyone!

the staff at sdc will help you find it, as long as they are not busy with ding their daily tasks.

the fact that they will send the cessna up for help depends on a lot of different things like pilots, fuel, night events etcetc. not on who you are.

i know a lot of people lost their canopy at nationals and that a lot of them were found by the groundscrew.

AWESOME!!!! That made my day! The guy didn't sound like a scum bag, but he also didn't make an honest effort to find out who the owner was.

He did say "his uncle gave it to him", although that sounds pretty fishy. He lives near SDC, so anyone with any situational awareness and integrity would have brought it by there to see if someone had lost it. He may have even gotten a small reward if he was upfront about it (I know I would give someone reward if they returned my canopy).

So glad she is getting it back!

Nice Job SERE ... what a great way to help the canopy "Return With Honor";)

So the canopy you found on Craigslist did in fact belong to Ladybug. We were competing at Nationals and she had to cut it away.
After the cutaway she pleaded with the dropzone to help her find it, but unfortunately since Nationals was going on they refused :(
Ladybug does not have a dropzone.com account and wanted me to tell you how grateful she is to you and everyone else who helped her get her "ladybug" back!!

how did the police set up a sting? he really has no legal obligation to return it. my dz had to pay to get a lost cutaway back after it turned up on craigslist.

how did the police set up a sting? he really has no legal obligation to return it. my dz had to pay to get a lost cutaway back after it turned up on craigslist.

That's awesome she's getting her canopy back. In early 2009 I sent 2 brand new cobalts back to the manufacturer to fix a hard opening problem. Never got em back. Atair went out of business. An alert former employee saw my post in the stolen gear database and e-mailed me. He shipped them and I'll have them back on Monday

The laws vary by state/etc, but typically there is a process that must be followed when lost property is found. There are legal distinctions between "lost", "misplaced", and "abandoned", but a cutaway main would certainly not be deemed "abandoned" so duty exists with the finder.

Nothing has happened to sever the relation between the owner and her property.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

So the canopy you found on Craigslist did in fact belong to Ladybug.

Here is the Craigslist ad which featured the lost canopy, along with the guy who found it and tried to cash it in on for some undeserved profit:
http://lasalle.craigslist.org/spo/2070251440.html

He has also had a boat battery for sale - I wonder if that was stolen too?

The laws vary by state/etc, but typically there is a process that must be followed when lost property is found. There are legal distinctions between "lost", "misplaced", and "abandoned", but a cutaway main would certainly not be deemed "abandoned" so duty exists with the finder.

Nothing has happened to sever the relation between the owner and her property.

Most states have criminal "theft of lost property" statutes. Here's the Illinois statute.

Ill COMP STAT § 16-2 : Illinois Statute - Section 16-2
(720 ILCS 5/16‑2) (from Ch. 38, par. 16‑2)
Sec. 16‑2. Theft of lost or mislaid property.
A person who obtains control over lost or mislaid property commits theft when he:
(a) Knows or learns the identity of the owner or knows, or is aware of, or learns of a reasonable method of identifying the owner, and
(b) Fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner, and
(c) Intends to deprive the owner permanently of the use or benefit of the property.
(d) Sentence.
Theft of lost or mislaid property is a petty offense.
(Source: P. A. 78‑255.)

Among other things, this means that in Illinois and other states that have this kind of statute (which is most of them; depending on the language), the argument "it landed on my property, so it's legal for me to keep it if I want" is usually wrong.

It would behoove DZs and jumpers to look up the corresponding statute(s) that apply to their particular states (or the state(s) in which they regularly jump).

the argument "it landed on my property, so it's legal for me to keep it if I want" is usually wrong.

Generally speaking, it is wrong, however most could get away with that if that's where they wanted to to end it. If they wanted to use it as a car cover, or shred it up and use it to insulate the attic, they could probably get away with it as nobody would be aware that they had it. When they post it on CL, or try to 'extort' money from the jumper or DZ for it's safe return, then they bump into that law and are bound to return it.

The guy being from Ottawa, home of the largest and busiest DZs in the midwest, makes it tough for him to argue that he just 'found it' and had no way of knowing who it belonged to or from where it came, especially if it was on his property, as that would put his property within a mile or three of the DZ, and right under a jumprun/canopy flight area, making him well aware of the DZ and its activities.