CHRCNF

Putting Cypres In Different Container

If it's in date, I don't believe so. I just note the work performed on the data card and seal it with my seal. Not all riggers will agree on this and it's up to them what work they do or do not want to do. Just because you have a Rigger rating does not mean you are obligated to do every request a customer gives you.
I think the search function may help you here.

if i had repacked that reserve last,it be no problem,just pull the reserve pin,extract the free bag carefully and remove or install the cypres then.most riggers would prob charge about $15-20 i guess for that.
if the rig was repacked by a different rigger,it might become an issue,as you would be accepting the other riggers reserve repack. and i am not sure if you can do that in the states legally anyhow.
here in ireland its slightly different,if i know and trust the rigger i wont repack the reserve,just install or remove the cypres and close the container back up and mark that on the card.
best bet go back to the origional rigger if possible,that should be the easiest way for you

As you have said, I would just add you are not really accepting the responsibility of the previous repack as long as it is dually documented on the card. I will say that it does leave someone to argue you did more than that and would not recommend doing it on repack that was not yours.
Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy

According to the FAA no. Even if it's a different rigger they can do it, IF THEY WANT TO.

The rigger resealing the rig would have responsibility for the entire inspection/pack job. Many/most riggers are not willing to take the responsibility for someone elses work.

Many riggers will open they're OWN pack job to do AAD maintenance and reseal the rig for the remain time in the inspection cycle.

I tell people I MAY be able to do it, but don't promise I won't have to redo the entire pack job. It depends on how much I end up desturbing the reserve.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

...does it require the reserve repack of the container the Cypres was already in?

Had a conversation with MEL (masterrigger1) today. He brought this very topic up. His answer to the question was it probably is not allowed without a repack. If I recall correctly, the reasoning is based on the way the military does packjobs which is the foundation for all rigging today. Anytime a rig is opened it must be inspected and packed per instructions. No short cuts and the job must be a continuous process. In other words, you don't start the pack job and then decide part way through you'll fininsh it tomorrow. With that reasoning, when the container is opened you can't go back and reclose it without going through the entire process. MEL did mention this would be a topic for discussion at PIA. If you want to get more info in this I suggest you message MEL and get him in on this thread.

The law (FAR) is that the emergency parachute must be inspected and packed within 180 days before it is used. What other regulation would apply to this? Is this addressed in an advisory circular? If so, reference please.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

he asked me a question... and i answered... how is that bad?

But is it the LAW?

OP asked if it was REQUIRED.

Your personal preference may govern your actions, but the LAW is the final word on what is REQUIRED and what is not

and i said

I'm not sure if it is the law or not

what is your beef with that?

ps that PA you sent me via message has been forwarded to the mods
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

The law (FAR) is that the emergency parachute must be inspected and packed within 180 days before it is used. What other regulation would apply to this? Is this addressed in an advisory circular? If so, reference please.

Here is your reference, look it up and see what you think.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Michael,

I always find it interesting when one hand of the FAA has no clue what the other hand is doing.

4.d.(2) The FAA does not approve AAD's. They do approve the installation which is
submitted with the manufacturer's TSO paperwork.

For over 30 yrs I have gone around & around with various FAA employees about this type of thing.

When applying for a TSO-authorization, the only thing that the FAA 'approves' is the Quality Control System. They may review ( and they do ) but they do not approve the specifications submitted ( 'specifications' is FAA-speak for what most of us call 'drawings' ).

With the new req'ments in Part 21, just last week I had a visit & conversation with my FAA-girl on this very subject. She was from the MIDO and thought that the FAA 'approved' that stuff.

JerryBaumchen

Thanks for the reply. That's the summary-of-parachuting-stuff AC. I was hoping for something crystal clear. In the FAR's and the AC's, I don't see anything that specifically forbids opening a pack, removing an AAD, changing a battery, etc., then closing the pack without refolding the canopy. What concerns me is that in this thread we seem to have two different opinions from two different DPRE's who both know their stuff.
When the repack cycle was 120 days, it was easy to say, "You'll need a repack in about a month anyway". Now that same case would be about three months, so I imagine this will come up more often.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Thanks for the reply. That's the summary-of-parachuting-stuff AC. I was hoping for something crystal clear. In the FAR's and the AC's, I don't see anything that specifically forbids opening a pack, removing an AAD, changing a battery, etc., then closing the pack without refolding the canopy. What concerns me is that in this thread we seem to have two different opinions from two different DPRE's who both know their stuff.

there is a lot of things that are not clear with the FAA,and a lot of things open to interpretation.i am sure jerry baumchen could talk for hours and days about that.:P:S
if in doubt always go with the safeest option.