koppel

Cypres Cutter image question

I have been provided with an image of a Cypres cutter and told of a particular incident.

I am looking for background information to check the veracity of what I have been told.

Can anyone provide more information on this image please. With all the BS that goes around on AAD's I will not consider any stories without solid evidence.

thanks
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Can you post the info?

Otherwise It looks like a fake photo with two different cutter heads from separate units on a two pin system
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

This image shows two cutters which have fired. On the left cutter the plastic cover was removed from the loop hole, so that the cutting blade can be clearly seen. On the right side there is another Cypres cutter with the plastic still on, but destroyed from the blade. It might give somebody the impression of something being jammed in the cutter but it is not. The inside plastic cover in the loop hole keeps the loop so far in the middle of the hole that it will be fully cut and it makes the cutter waterproof. I have several of those cutters here for demonstration purposes, some prepared like the left one and some still original like the right one.

Without the story being told it 's just that: Two cutters did their job and fired.

I have been provided with an image of a Cypres cutter and told of a particular incident.

I am looking for background information to check the veracity of what I have been told.

what have you been told ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

...hmmmmm, then why do you still see 2 intact closing loops?

2 closing loops ??? :o I see what could be 1 closing loop, and what could be 1 safety stow, but definitely NOT 2 closing loops

.... ok I assumed that if one loop of the Dual Hawk wasn't cut, the other wasn't as well... :S I mean, what would be the point of taking that picture?

I don't know, I am not at the origin of the picture or the thread.

How can you say it's a Dual HAwk ? (I don't know, haven't seen one myself)

Do you have photo's you can post of those you have?

What you are saying is that if I fire a Cypres cutter and then remove the plastic I will see what is shown in this image on the left hand cutter?

If so I shall enjoy trying that on the weekend :)

I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I don't. There is one uncut loop and one bridal stow loop and one loop we can't see. Without more info no way of telling why this photo was taken, it is maybe implied that someone failed to put the loops in the cutters and then someone caused the AAD to fire resulting in no cut loops.

On that kind of rig it would be pretty hard to miss the cutter in a repack, however as history tells us, riggers can fuck up and have done so..... How could one miss those cutters?

On that kind of rig the tunnels for the cutters are long and if they were sucked back inside the tunnel you could only feel it and not see it,. that's how... still makes for shitty rigging if that is the case.

Only way to know for sure what has happened in the photo or why it was taken, would be to have more info.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

On a Dual Hawk you can have a the cutters fire after the reserve deployment and the loops would not be cut...because the cutters are on a different flap than the loops...so after deployment, if the cutters fire, they won't be anywhere close to the loops.

An AAD cutter will only cut the loops on a Dual Hawk if it fires while the container is close (and the loops are through the cutters).

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Yes... very good point Mike, I was thinking in lines of the notice sent out by airtec of late (not putting loops in cutters) because the OP left out a story, leaving us to guess as to the reasons such questions was asked in the first place...

Very valid point none the less, same would be true for mirage or other containers with a cutter placement on top like that.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

On a Dual Hawk you can have a the cutters fire after the reserve deployment and the loops would not be cut...because the cutters are on a different flap than the loops...so after deployment, if the cutters fire, they won't be anywhere close to the loops.

An AAD cutter will only cut the loops on a Dual Hawk if it fires while the container is close (and the loops are through the cutters).

Mike

This would be true for any rig where the cutter is on a flap, wouldn't it?

Oops! Stratostar beat me to the post.

I think if you look closely they are of course both fired, with the left one being a clean fire and nothing but the protective plastic sleeve being viewed in the fired cutter, hence the non cut loop and the right cutter having loop fibers visible indicating a cut loop on the right side. If someone is trying to show that fact, then the picture should include the right cut loop in the picture.
Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy

Here are three pictures of another Cypres cutter which has fired. The first picture shows the typical look of a cutter with the destroyed rest of the plastic sleeve. The second picture demonstrates how to remove the plastic and the third picture shows the cutter knife like on the cutter which was posted by koppel.

thanks for posting those pictures

do you know how far past the aperture the blade goes when it fires?

I think it just looks like the cutter isn't going all the way across. The profile of the cutter changes - becomes a knife edge so the appearance changes.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am