howardwhite

Rigger Rodeo -- PIA

A new feature at the PIA Symposium in Reno in February is the "Rigger Rodeo," a contest for the fastest reserve pack job.
The competition is a single-elimination tournament. Each round will consist of one or more pairs of riggers; each pair will pack identical harness/container/reserve systems. The faster rigger of each pair will advance to the next round.
It's limited to 24 contestants, but other riggers can observe and learn.
More info is on the PIA website. (It's a PDF file -- click on the link to download the description and a link to the registration form.)

HW
(wearing PIA hat.)

I suggest the riggers jump their own pack in order to move on to the next round... ;)

Have fun y'all... I'm known all 'round as the slowest rigger in town... and I'm OK with that... :P

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

We used to have something similar at Perris 30 years ago. You had to pack your main in the phone booth that used to be by the manifest window. (A phone booth is a thing people utilized to make phone calls in private, LOL.)

Then you had to jump and make it back to the phone booth and you were timed. What made this a bit harder was back then none of us knew how to propack . . .

(Anyone remember when the PIA convention was called the Rigger's Convention?)

NickD :)

We used to have something similar at Perris 30 years ago. You had to pack your main in the phone booth that used to be by the manifest window. (A phone booth is a thing people utilized to make phone calls in private, LOL.)

Then you had to jump and make it back to the phone booth and you were timed. What made this a bit harder was back then none of us knew how to propack

Does it make me twisted for thinking that this sounds like a fun competition?

Hi howard,

Looking for 24 masochists are we? :S

I'm like Jim Wine; old & slow ( no Jim, I am not saying that you are 'old' ).

JerryBaumchen

Not as young as I once was, not as old as I'm gonna be... :P;)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Since we're in Reno I think it's almost required that we have a March Madness-style bracket pool. I'll be happy to volunteer to run it.

$20 buy-in sound about right? :D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Some parts of the rodeo might not interest me -- I'm not going to learn from the part of a job that is done quick and sloppy, when I know already how to do it neatly at a moderate pace.

But other parts would be interesting, for the parts of the job where I'm always looking for better technique to speed up slow work.

Like trying to get a bulging freebag into a tight Wings container with a short closing loop...

Hi Mr,

Will the winner be judged solely on time, or will there be be considerations for neatness, Aesthetics, ect?

Ah, the devil is in the details.

By the time we all get to Reno they'll have 47-page set of regs & rules. :S

And probably a team of judges, a protest committee, and whatever else.

Where's my popcorn when I need it? :P

JerryBaumchen

A new feature at the PIA Symposium in Reno in February is the "Rigger Rodeo," a contest for the fastest...

if you're talking a contest involving anything rigging, i can save you time, money and potential embarrassment to other riggers. PETES (the swan man) will win any contest held; even if he's not there..that's how damn good he is!
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

A new feature at the PIA Symposium in Reno in February is the "Rigger Rodeo," a contest for the fastest...

if you're talking a contest involving anything rigging, i can save you time, money and potential embarrassment to other riggers. PETES (the swan man) will win any contest held; even if he's not there..that's how damn good he is!

Oh yaaa, what if Chuck Norris isn't there too?!?

Oh yaaa, what if Chuck Norris isn't there too?!?

last i heard, Chuck Norris was doing an apprenticeship with Pete but wasn't able to finish.
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.