Unstable

Machine Drive Belt ~ 20u33 ~ any advice

I could use some advice from Sewing machine aficionados here ~ I have a Very nice Singer 20u That I had rebuilt by a sail company in Maine, and it has a rebuilt head with stronger presser foot springs and a new motor, so it chews through more material than your garden variety 20u. Beautiful machine.

Well, when I bought it, it had a leather belt connecting the motor to the machine which was near the end of it's life. I had a hard time replacing it, so I went down to AutoZone and bought a car fan belt of the same dimensions. Well, it worked ALMOST perfectly. When I release the brake an put a bit of pressure on the drive, the belt begins to slip, when I'm ready to sew, I tap the wheel on the sewing machine, it catches the belt, and then does it's thing.

Does anybody have any advice for tuning the motor/ machine connection, beyond the standard advice in the Poynter's manuals? Any good resources for a reliable replacement belt that isn't made of leather or a belt for a small Nissan?

Sorry if this sounds amaturish, but I've really got this machine tuned and doing exactly everything I want.... Once I get it moving, that is... :P
=========Shaun ==========

The belt should be a 3L-XX (XX is the size in inches)

3L means a 3/8" inch wide belt.

I am assuming that you have a stand clutch motor on it or does it have the small "bolt on the side" motor?

If you have the clutch motor, loosen the two nuts on the threaded adjustment arm. Lower the bottom nut until the belt itself suspends the weight of the motor.

Now, tighten the bottom nut back up until you have moved the motor bak up the threaded rod about 1/4 inchm for a little slack in the belt.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I usually buy stuff like this from Universal. They also have just about every accessory you could ever want, and have or can get any part for your machine. If you don't have both the straight stitch and zigzag presser feet, throat plates, and feed dogs, you probably want to pick those up as well (the part numbers are in your manual).

The belt should be a 3L-XX (XX is the size in inches)

3L means a 3/8" inch wide belt.

I am assuming that you have a stand clutch motor on it or does it have the small "bolt on the side" motor?

If you have the clutch motor, loosen the two nuts on the threaded adjustment arm. Lower the bottom nut until the belt itself suspends the weight of the motor.

Now, tighten the bottom nut back up until you have moved the motor bak up the threaded rod about 1/4 inchm for a little slack in the belt.

MEL

THANK You Mel~ that's what I'm going to go try... I never did that. I won't be able to tackle that until Thursday, but I'll let you know how it goes. YES, it is a standard clutch motor.
=========Shaun ==========